Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-01-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
Clarus
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Clarus
Found my 325is, should I buy it?

Hey guys, after countless ads, phone calls, and borrowed car road trips, I think I have found the car for me, but seeing as it is a 1993 there are a few problems with it. The car is selling for $6450 USD ($8,600 CAD) and is pushing 140,000 miles (225,000 km). Here is the list of things that i found wrong with the car (it goes to a mechanic tomorrow to get a more thurough inspection)

1. The headliner is starting to fall a tiny bit

2. There are 2 or 3 buttons on the OBC that require excessive force to push

3. The driver's seat is ripped at a seam and will not fold forward to allow access to the back

4. the Sunroof has seen better days

5. The CD player refuses to read cds (disc error)

The engine and transmission (as far as i can tell) pull great, and are a dream to drive.

What can you guys tell me about fixing some of these things or replacing some broken parts? Is it in the right price range?

Any advice would be great guys, I can wait to officially join the 'club.'
Clarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
328is_Perf
5th Gear Member

well... 140,000 miles... THATS A LOT! and for the price, it seems a little high

and ... u could find better deals... my 96 328is (64,000 miles) in great condition was 7,000 (it was a "flooded" insurance fraud at the auction) ... check auctions (not ebay, or dealers)

The ONE and ONLY TRUE ///M3:
E36 ///M3 GTR
328is_Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
vertakul
6th Gear Member

You can't get into an auction house here without a dealer license.. sucks shit..
is it the same in the states?
vertakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
328is_Perf
5th Gear Member

yea... but i know someone with one

E36 ///M3 GTR
Old 02-02-2004, 12:18 AM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
sounds okay... all minor problems. OBC is easily fixed... fixed a good 20-25 of them myself... charge a couple bucks and ship em back to the owners. headliner can be re-glued for $10. driver's seat can be replaced... not sure what's wrong with it. cd player is cheap for a stock one.. you'll prolly go aftermarket anyway. Sunroof... what's wrong with it?.. that can be an expensive repair.

But here are the important questions.

What color is the oil? ... any metal flakes in it?
How does the car idle? ...
does the car stay straight when you slam on the brakes and let go of the steering wheel?
does the steering wheel turn when you go over potholes?
any grinding or knocking (not ticking) in the engine bay?.. how about when you rev high then release?
what happens when you slam on the gas then release?... any knocking sounds from the shock mounts?.. subframe?
ABS kick in when you slam on the brakes?
any play in the steering wheel? ...
automatic or manual?.. if manual how's the clutch?... how easily does the car shift from 1st to 2nd without depressing the clutch?.. if you push gently it should be able to slide right in without any grinding.

.. etc.etc.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:35 AM   #6
Clarus
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for all of the info guys

328is_perf and aschon : Yea you do need a dealer's ID for the states, but I have a guy checking them for me with very little luck ( there's another auction in the area this wend. so i'll definatly wait to buy until I hear from that.

Justin e36: WOW!, Thank you a whole bunch. I'm glad to hear that the OBC is easy to fix, becuase i was afraid that would be a fortune. After thinking about it for a while I might be getting an aftermarket stereo eventually too.

As for everything else, i've checked it and it has passed (except for the 1st 2nd gear test, I never heard of that, but when i take it to a mechanic tomorrow i'll check that)

I am still looking for a better deal, but after searching for 3 weeks and there have been really only two 325is's in my price range (under 7k USD) within 200 miles of searching, I'm ready to settle down and pour out my TLC.

Thank you again guys!
Old 02-02-2004, 04:03 AM   #7
328is_Perf
5th Gear Member

well heres how the houston auction works..

http://www.bcapauction.com/

last week there was a 99 M3 PERFECT condition (it was a repaired wreck by the dealer, owner didnt want it) 28k miles,,

9000 USD!!!!!!! made me want to cry!!! AND IT HAD A CLEAR TITLE!!!!!

E36 ///M3 GTR
Old 02-02-2004, 11:54 PM   #8
Clarus
1st Gear Newbie

Hey guys, I made a friend / dealer, who is going to check out the auctions for me, but I really can't find anythign else, so I'll hope that this one was treated nicely.

Here's hoping on the dealer auctions.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:01 AM   #9
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
You should be least worried about cosmetic problems at 140k since all cars start show wear and tear at 140k.You should rather check the engine,tranny,suspension etc. etc.
I also have to agree with everyone else,$6500 for a 93 325 with 140k is too much.
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:20 AM   #10
E36pilot
1st Gear Newbie

Dude there is a guy who I know who has a 325I for sale at a great price!!!!!!!!!! He bought the car from an older woman who has had it ALMOST from day one, she is the second owner of like 5 years. He had an Integra before hand and decided to try BMW, I heard it was for sale and called to yell at him for letting it go after ONLY owning it for 4-5 months. He explained he is selling it to go back to Honda in fear of maintenance in the future, not to mention he lost his job. It is as follows:

1993 4 Dr 325I with Beige leather. It has 105,000 miles and has new struts (Bilstein), brakes, and battery. Aside from this it's ALL stock and has maitenance records. I live in Racine Wi and we have the Highest unemployment in the state so no real bites on his car. He has dropped the price and I'll bet he will go lower yet. asking is now $5,500.00. I personally offered a trade of my Integra (boosted) plus $5,000.00, but he doesn't work so I don't expect him to jump on it. I have a 98 M3 so I'm already covered anyhow, but a GREAT DEAL it is.....call him up. He is an aquantance, I guess I'd consider him a freind, I know him cause we both have Integras, ask him for better details etc. And maybe do me a fav and not mention that I publically posted all this info on him, it doesnt do him any good to know it and it would make me feel better, I mean the job and low ballin him and all. Thanks and CYA!

http://journaltimes.abracat.com/c2/c...ults/index.xml
E36pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #11
Clarus
1st Gear Newbie

It sounds awesome man, but I really had my heart set on a 325is. I think the lines of the lower roof make it look a lot better.

anyone know of any good places to find a 325is ?
Old 02-04-2004, 05:24 PM   #12
Clarus
1st Gear Newbie

Hey guys, in my continued searching I found a 1996 328is

it has 130k miles.... but I want to talk the guy down to $6500 USD

if I suceed in doing that... what do you think about that deal?

here's the link

here cars.com

thanx for all the help
Old 02-05-2004, 01:32 AM   #13
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
um, that 328is is listed at $8800.. I doubt he'll drop to $6500. I say if he even drops to $7500 pick her up... nice ride.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 06:43 PM   #14
Clarus
1st Gear Newbie

Yea justin, it seems far fetched, but Online there are a bunch of 328s in the 'area' (200 miles) that are the same price with 90,000 miles. Also, it sucks, but the guy also just lost his job. (that's why he's selling it.)

I'm trying to refrain from "one-upping" myself and saying instead of 6.5k, then maybe 6.8k... and next thing you know it's 8k and i'm broke.

I'm goign to go test drive the car tomorrow, so i'll let you guys know what the situation is.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:17 AM   #15
328is_Perf
5th Gear Member

dont plan on getting a bimmer with more than 100,000 miles and not start having problems with it... NO OFFENSE TO BMW

E36 ///M3 GTR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: