Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-13-2002, 03:41 AM   #16
ThE bRoWn GuY
2nd Gear Member

I agree totally!! Ask anyone that knows me how hard i work for everything i have... most of the time i don't even get to enjoy my hard earned money

There is a guy up by me that is the epitomy of all that angers me.. To start.. He has a 97 Talon with over 20 000 into the motor (built at Magnus)... 5 days ago he went out with his dad to a BMW dealership looking at another car, but the salesman wouldn't give them the 50 000 that they wanted for their Mercedes trade-in. So they stopped off at the porche dealership, and good old pops signs a cheque over and buys his son a 2001 Carrera 2!!!!!!!! But wait, you can't drive a porsce everyday, soo how do they solve this problem, let's buy him a 2002 325ci (fully loaded) just to get around when he doesn't feel like driving his 400whp Talon, or porsche!!!

Sorry, got kinda pissed when i found this out... and here i am working 4 jobs just to get my car how i want it!
ThE bRoWn GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 07:59 AM   #17
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Is he the skinny white kid with the red Talon? I talked to him at a car show and he seemed really shady.... didn't know much about his own car.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 12:34 PM   #18
Rolled_Out
Just chillin...

hahaha 2 years ago my buddy got his G2, so, to learn how to drive standard, his dad bought him a Z3 2.8, after a few weeks he got tired of the little 2 seater and moved up to a 330ci, which he still has now, along with HIS, i repeat HIS 2001 porshce 911 turbo (HIS name on ownership not his dads) if you live around woodbridge you may have seen him, its black , his dad also has a yellow lamborghini diablo, a few Rolls Royce's....
some stuff is unbelieveable, the luck of the draw i guess......
u live life once, have fun right?
Old 05-13-2002, 01:01 PM   #19
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by Rolled_Out

u live life once, have fun right?
Rolled out, yes, yes and yes I totally agree with you.

Brown guy, if it pisses you of there is a word for you jealous(I don't really know hot ro spell it) and you have to deal with it.
I'm really jealous of all those guys that has mad cars. once agian I wish I had rich parents, but nope. Also I wish someday I'm gonna be a rich parent so I can afford to buy a porsche to my kid.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:46 PM   #20
Rolled_Out
Just chillin...

Vlad, i don't think you should call brown_guy jealous, to me he sounds like one hell of a guy, that has a good future in store, i mean, how much free time can you have when you work 4 jobs? to me, that IS AMAZING, i ENVY him to be able to do that, i don't think i could do that, it takes so much out of you to work 4 jobs. But, in the future, im sure he will have enough $ to buy his kid(s) or himself whatever he pleases, which is always a good thing...
some people have it easy, some people have it quite difficult, if you parents worked hard for themselves over the last X number of years to buy there child what they want, i don't see a problem with it, as long as the child knows the value of a dollar, and KNOWS what work is and that what he/she has didn't come easy, its the result of hard work, NOTHING comes easy.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:00 PM   #21
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga

Also I wish someday I'm gonna be a rich parent so I can afford to buy a porsche to my kid.

If I were a bloody Millionare I still wouldn't buy my kid's a Porsche. If they want to drive fast, then a shifter kart is in order and a lot of track time.... There's no reason a 16yr or 18yd old should have a 300+ HP car to drive his gay friends around during recess. I'll get him a car, something practical (like a Saturn) and if he wrecks it... he's paying for the repair.

Jealousy?...

Yeah, I'd call it a bit of that.... even I admit to it. It's only human nature. Some people have it good right from the beginning.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 05-13-2002, 02:13 PM   #22
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

I don't think I would get my kid a Saturn. Too much foil for my taste. I'd get something along the lines of 316/318/tds e36/e46, maybe a TDI Golf;at least I'd have peace in my heart knowing that my kid would be relatively safe. However, I completely agree that most of the "kids" that get their cars from their parents as a present take many things for granted, hard work is one of them.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd

If I were a bloody Millionare I still wouldn't buy my kid's a Porsche. If they want to drive fast, then a shifter kart is in order and a lot of track time.... There's no reason a 16yr or 18yd old should have a 300+ HP car to drive his gay friends around during recess. I'll get him a car, something practical (like a Saturn) and if he wrecks it... he's paying for the repair.

Jealousy?...

Yeah, I'd call it a bit of that.... even I admit to it. It's only human nature. Some people have it good right from the beginning.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 02:28 PM   #23
Rolled_Out
Just chillin...

at the age of 19 i own my own bmw that no one drives except for me. If i have kids ever, i know for a fact i will get them a bimmer, or something to that extent, a nice luxury little sports coupe, because i know how much i enjoy my car, i mean, MY KIDS, who else can i spend $ on? my friends kids?? no, my kids, i would want them to have a good life and just have fun, but still on the other hand like i said before they MUST know the value of a dollar and know what hard work is. If they can give me that much, i'm sure i would give them whatever they wanted, i wouldn't like having a tight ass for a dad, that would piss me right off....
If i'm not going to spend my $ on my kid, then who the hell else am i going to spend it on?

"all or nothing"
Old 05-13-2002, 04:49 PM   #24
SickFinga

Rolled out, I agree that brown guy works hard, and I wish I was like that, but I'm the laziest guy on earth. Also working hard doesn't mean he will be a Bill Gates at the end of his life.
I know ppl that work their ass off since childhood and still do so, and some ppl that were lazy bastards and make lotsa money.

I disagree on a Saturn with Randy, i wouldn't buy a saturn to my kid if I was a millionare, just not to make my driveway/garage look stupid And really I wouldn't get him a porsche too.
But also I wouldn't send my kid to work at mcdonald's.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 03:20 AM   #25
ThE bRoWn GuY
2nd Gear Member

Sorry about that guys, didn't mean to come off that way... I will admit I am jealous to a point, but thats not what i am trying to say.. First.. Why does a 19 year old need 3 cars totalling like a quarter of a million dollars? Second.. I would have no problem with these guys if they respected what they had, understood their great luck, and did not look down upon others... basically had a good attitude.

I didn't mention that i worked soo much to get sympathy or anything from you guys, i'm just trying to explain that while i work hard for what i have, some just get it easy and don't respect their good fortune... Like the guy i mentioned above, he already banged up his porsche slightly, put it in 1st instead of reverse and drove into a truck (minor damage), no understanding of the value of a dollar. Those who know me, know that i could careless what others have or think, all that bothers me is their attitude. It is more of a pet peeve, those who think that they are better than others...

Randy, nah thats not the guy I meant, but he has a similar story aswell... parents car with another 30000 in the motor (400 whp soon to be 600whp... proven dyno). Audi A6 winter beater. But, this guy atleast understands that he is lucky to have all this paid for and doesn't shove it in others faces!

Do you get what i'm saying? If i really wanted, my parents could buy me a car, but why would i? They have instilled a great value in me, to work hard for what i want, and when i get it strive for something greater... Ahh well who am i to be preaching...

ps.. No i dont work a lot just for my car, damn University tuition is a killer!

pps.. i totally agree with Randy, IF i chose to buy my kid a car after they had a job, it would be a lower valued car, or a fixxer upper. With the latter, they would be able to learn the ins and outs of their car, learn the value of a dollar while repairing it, and cherish their possessions.. i would even think this way if i had a ubiquitous cash flow.
ThE bRoWn GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:40 AM   #26
EMPOWERD

Holy BrownGuy!.... your replys are starting to look like BadKarma's.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 05-14-2002, 10:23 AM   #27
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
Holy BrownGuy!.... your replys are starting to look like BadKarma's.

PSSSSSSSSSSTTTTT!!!

Pat

PS I have to agree with both of you however, my kids won't get Porsches, BMWs or anything else high-end bought for them when they turn 16....

I'll loan them some money to buy a car, but it's going to be a used, fixer-upper type vehicle. Good, reliable, but not new, and if they want/need to do anything to it, they'll learn just how much money owning a vehicle costs...

My dad did the same thing for me, and I learned an awful lot about how to maintain my own car, how to respect what I had, and how much of a PITA it was to fix things, (especially to pay for it!!) when something broke. It was especially good in teaching me how much control I had over what things broke, and what doesn't (ie, making regular oil changes, lube etc etc).

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:26 PM   #28
addbhp
3rd Gear Member

Might as well add to the discussion. I am a father of two wonderful step kids and I have in- fact bought my 15 yr old son, a car....a 1988 Toyota MR2 that although is certified does require some work. Aside from Birthday and Christmas gifts, everything that will be done to this car, will be from his pocket. The thought behind getting him this car was well thought out by myself and my wife ( or so we think).

Aside from being a stylish 1st car(that he likes), it is easy on gas, easy to work on, parts are not to hard to find, it will never be a car to drive his friends around hells half-acre(there are only two seats), teaches him the value of money, he enjoys cars and gets excited about working on the car with me, he likely won't ever have sex in it (very small car remember), and once he gets his G2, will save us having to drive him and his sister everywhere.

Did we spoil him? Who cares, we had the money, I know he appreciates all he has and it keeps him busy, much like the horseback riding we have had our daughter enrolled in for the last 2 years.

I believe you always want the best for your kids and at the same time want them to learn and experience life for themselves, parents are there for guidance and support...unfortunately many parents take the idea of support much too far, and what ends up happening are you get a young adult who expects life to be handed to them.

My 2 cents for today.
Mark
91 318is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr2side.jpg (13.3 KB, 73 views)
2001 330Cic
addbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #29
EMPOWERD

Very well put Mark, and I think your choice of car is also perfect.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 05-14-2002, 10:22 PM   #30
Lil'Smoothie

I worked my @$$ off for well over a year, working friday and saturday nights, hell I worked 18 hours on New Years to buy my bimmer with my own cash. I tihnk its just alot sweeter to say this is my car. Kids at school may have nicer rides but they didn't buy it there parents did so I don't consider it there car. What bugs me even more is when were talking about cars and someone says they will bring daddy's family sedan out.....like a Maxima or Bonneville

But if im rich I will for sure buy my kid whatever car he/she wants as long as they are responsible. I can't think of anything cooler than being 16 and pulling up in a new porsche or bimmer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: