Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Phazer
2nd Gear Member

Weight reduction

What's some good ways to make a e36 318is (european version) and a 323i 4-door lighter. I would guess the weight reduction techniques will be the same on both cars right?
Old 01-29-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
audiophile
3rd Gear Member

it's fairly straightforward! just start pulling stuff out.

depends how far you want to go.
sold the e34.
lookin for an e36
audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Mikester
7th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mikester
workout at the gym
Mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Yeah, just start taking things out, gut the trunk, remove the spare tire, remove the seats that you don't need, remove the A/C.

If you want to spend money get carbon or fibreglass body panels, racing seats lighter wheels/tires, etc...
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
Phazer
2nd Gear Member

By pulling the back seat out, and spare wheel, will it make really that much differance in me actually feeling it?
Phazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:12 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Phazer
By pulling the back seat out, and spare wheel, will it make really that much differance in me actually feeling it?
Probably not, the spare tire is like 20kg, and the back seat is pretty light.
think about it this way, how well can you feel the difference in your car when you have a passenger next to you, as opposed to driving alone?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 01-29-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
Phazer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Probably not, the spare tire is like 20kg, and the back seat is pretty light.
think about it this way, how well can you feel the difference in your car when you have a passenger next to you, as opposed to driving alone?
Ahh, yes, good point, I actually can feel the differance, but only really on inclines, and maybe, maybe a little in acceleration.

Probarly not worthwhile in the end to remove a bunch of stuff to make the car slightly lighter.
Phazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Phazer
Ahh, yes, good point, I actually can feel the differance, but only really on inclines, and maybe, maybe a little in acceleration.

Probarly not worthwhile in the end to remove a bunch of stuff to make the car slightly lighter.
If you're racing and every tenth of a second counts, then sure, but to remove a lot of the practicality of your car for a barely noticable difference isn't worth it to me.

Like you can feel it, but you have to either remove a lot of stuff, or spend a bit of money for lighter parts.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
BimmerMan
4th Gear Member

Location: Cleveland OH, formerly West Palm Beach FL, formerly Mississauga ON
Send a message via ICQ to BimmerMan Send a message via AIM to BimmerMan
I say either go all out, or not at all. Reducing the cars weight by 40kg won't do anything to noticable. So, if you do go for weight reduction, go all out.
seats, gut truck, spare, a/c, heater, blower motor, all vents, door panels, carpet etc.

imo, just leave it. the discomfort of having a stripped car is not worth it compared to the .2s 1/4 mile or whatever you'll get
Old 01-31-2004, 02:20 PM   #10
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Actually reducing weight on the 318 is the best modification you can do. The engine is underpowered for the weight of the car. I've done some moderate weight reduction and I'd have to say that it handles and accelerates significantly better. I'm actually happy with the power ouput now whereas I was not when I first had the car in stock form.

List of weight reduction mods...

- removed front aux fan
- replaced both front seats w/ Corbeau racing seats
- removed amp, speakers, speaker boxes
- removed door panel insulations
- trunk insulations and trunk carpet
- spare tire
- replaced side mirrors w/ non-motorized plastic mirrors
- replaced bukly airbox w/ k&n filter

I've probably ripped out a tonne of other crap, but I forget what else I've removed.

I've found replacing the seats with racing seats made the most noticeable improvement, especially if your stock seats are heated and electric. Removing the rear seats will also make a huge difference. However, it all depends on how far you're willing to go. I still need my AC, so that's not going out.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: