Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-28-2004, 05:00 AM   #1
blackshark
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to blackshark
with all respect to my old bimmer

It really really sucks on the snow even with snow tires on
and my old 86 vw is da shit front tires are different size they almost bald rear is bald and it handles like an army APC on the snow.
blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:06 AM   #2
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Thoes 635's are a big heavy car.. should grip good in the snow?

I wouldn't drive in the snow anyways cause i like the old bimmers too much. But try a few bags of dirt in the trunk and some kick ass winter tires.. even if it spins atleast you have the advantage of RWD fun.. i donno why people complain aobut that.. it's a lot of fun when you get the hang of it.

Drive a big FWD car (like a buick) in the snow and tell me if you like it better.. i personally hate the way they pull the front all over the place when they catch a little traction.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:13 AM   #3
blackshark
3rd Gear Member

Well it has Michelin alpins and fishtailing is cool but when it gets to little hill it just spins ain't going nowhere and i have to drive
BACKWARDS to get up the hill so umm it drives me nuts sometimes and my vw u can hit the snow piles drift in to the turn
all kinds of crazy shit
P.S i donít drive it in winter only out of curiosity i had to see how it drives on the snow
Old 01-28-2004, 05:18 AM   #4
blackshark
3rd Gear Member

my super does not understand why i am no driving my beloved sixer during winter he thinks it is piece of shit (literally )
This dude is funny he owned a honda civic ones and that makes
him say that all german cars are garbage
some day he will really piss me of and his 20 year old blazer will
not start for some unknown reason
Old 01-28-2004, 05:37 AM   #5
Gamite

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318
Thoes 635's are a big heavy car.. should grip good in the snow?

I wouldn't drive in the snow anyways cause i like the old bimmers too much. But try a few bags of dirt in the trunk and some kick ass winter tires.. even if it spins atleast you have the advantage of RWD fun.. i donno why people complain aobut that.. it's a lot of fun when you get the hang of it.

Drive a big FWD car (like a buick) in the snow and tell me if you like it better.. i personally hate the way they pull the front all over the place when they catch a little traction.
PFTH, my car is 4000 lbs, and it can't do shit in the snow.. no traction whatsoever. RWD is really at a dissability.. cept when u wanna have some fun.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:54 AM   #6
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

i donno.. never had a problem with an (not lowered) bmw in the winter.. in fact i drove through many horrible storms in my stock 325 back in the day.. i always got me where i wanted to go..

but each to their own.. i just don't like the FWD stuff for many reasons.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:41 AM   #7
blacknblue-e30
Just black, No blue

Send a message via MSN to blacknblue-e30
People complain about rear wheel simply because i think they dont know how to properly control and manuver the car properly.

Once you get the hang of rear wheel, it is a load of fun, and with a little bit of weight and some good tires compounded with correct speeds, it really isnt that bad of a ride in the winter.
blacknblue-e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
chromius
6th Gear Member

Personnaly I like RWD as long as it has a Limited Slip....without it don't even bother...I took my friends Bimmer out for a spin, Almost the same car as mine but without the LSD option, and I must of sat at a light for 30sec just trying to get going in the snow, tried starting in 1st gear, tried starting in 2nd gear....and nothing.

But with mine I love it....once you get a hang for it, I like it much more than FWD, It seems much more controlable. even if it does fishtail a little, its easy to recover
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #9
85eta
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 85eta
I just bought snowies for my car and it is great in the snow? tons of traction. I haven't even put any weight in my trunk yet. I'll take rear drive before front drive ANY DAY.
85eta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

It's all in the LSD. RWD + open rear = big trouble.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

i have all seasons, LSD...and a few dirt bags in the rear..but it doesnt help...remember the 3 way run mystikal? E30 has no traction in this weather, even in 2nd gear at like 2000rpm if i tap the gas they spin. its so fun.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #12
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

BMW's SUCK In the snow.. I got stuck 50 times yesterday. anything from my driveway, to going at a green light, to stop signs, and small hills..... My e30 is actually a BIT better with all season than my e28 was with winters all the way around... go figure, but they sure as hell are fun....
Its all in th gas/clutch skills

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:12 PM   #13
Mystikal

It's just plain physics. E30's are light, and only 48% of their already light weight is on the drive wheels. It just won't accelerate like other cars.

That said, you both need to be slapped for even thinking of running all-seasons.

@stancejay
Old 01-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #14
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

oh ya, mr. winter tires here had traction too

its not like i have hit anything, or come close to it..in that blizzard in the past day we had it wasnt that hard..i jus needed to relax when driving, lol..and go very very easy on the throttle

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:28 PM   #15
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
oh ya, mr. winter tires here had traction too
It's hard to hook up when you got all this power under the hood.

@stancejay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: