Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-28-2004, 09:10 PM   #31
ImolaMZ3
2nd Gear Member

This is one interesting post. For once most of the information is accurate!

To answer the question, as said previously, in stock for the manual will be faster. Up to a second in some vehicles. A modified automatic will be consistantly faster. Out of ten runs the manual may get one or two faster et's but the automatic will get more. In out and out drag racing that is what counts. On the street the guy driving the automatic will not very likely make a mistake. The twisties are another subject. Even a good manu-matic has delay built in and this is a killer when trying to drive fast. Some of the newer trannies, SMG, have this solved and will become the predominent transmission over the next decade. Why? All around faster with no mistakes. Ask all those S54 owners who have missed a shift. Car makers will stick make manuals for those who love Ultimate Control, me included. Just beware of the guy beside you in the automatic Mustang with a shift kit. He won't miss his shift.
ImolaMZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 01:39 AM   #32
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

I would say acceleration depends on the driver, tranny and car. If the driver knows what gear and what engine speed to hit before a shift than the manual will win. Think about a manual tranny allows the driver to feed the desired amount of power, but shifing speed and time plays a factor.

The autos, well some autos, have smoother acceleration and if i remimber correctly are their shifts are computer controled so the tranny may shift to the next gear once the power curve starts dropping. However, many people say auto waste power rathe than produce or handle power like the manual...

Simply put, I say driver, tranny and car make decide the acceleration.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:31 AM   #33
Mohamed 525i
Blond Eagle

well, as per my knowledge the diffrence might be with the diff. coz each car has diffrenet ratio between auto and manual coz I had before two cars 320 on auto and other is manual both with filter and plugs and so ( model 89 ) I noticed the diffrence so I checked the car the diff. ratio is diffrenet in both cars,, and the manual is the winner with me always

E34 540i Manual
Eibakh Pro Kit | Blistein Shocks | EAT Chip | Racing Dynamics Front Stressbar | Racing Dynamics Swaybar Kit | 850cis Front Brake Kit | Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Brake Rotors All Arround | Hawk Street And Racing Brake Pads |Angel Eyes | 8000k HID Xenon Kit All Arround | Plasma Coils | JB Racing Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel

SOLD!! E38 740il

Searching for E39 M5 .......
Mohamed 525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #34
omid
Chillingz

stick would win for sure
Old 01-29-2004, 10:55 PM   #35
Gianpaolo_E46
6th Gear Member

can some one tell me why a manual car has better fuel economy over an automatic? espically since in most manuals the rev's seem to be higher for normal shifts
Gianpaolo_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:30 PM   #36
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by T_DOT_BIMMER
can some one tell me why a manual car has better fuel economy over an automatic? espically since in most manuals the rev's seem to be higher for normal shifts
Less frictional losses, and lower revs isn't the only thing that increases efficiency. If that was the case everyone would be cruising around in 5th gear at 40km/h, but then the engine load would be high that you'd probably waste more gas then if you were going 80km/h.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #37
SickFinga

hmmm you all stuck on one thing SHIFTING.
But you all forgetting that with stick you can launch at higher RPMs and shift at appropriate RPMs.

Also not sure but how automatic can shift faster?

automatic shift smooth all the time, with manual you can just drop the clutch.

Also DINAN got software for the slushbox, still it wont make auto faster than stick.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: