Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
Albertae30
3rd Gear Member

ssk or z3 shifter

whats better to get a short shift kit or just a Z3 shifter?? i mean i am not totally understanding what would be better i hear you will get a shorter shift with the Z3 if so why do people by the ssk?
Albertae30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
1Low325IS
3rd Gear Member

well myself i just ordered the ACS short shifter kit, cant wait till it arrives
1Low325IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Tunerworks
2nd Gear Member

To gain a better understanding of why you'd want a vehicle specific SSK, spend some time looking over www.uucmotorwerks.com ... then most of your questions should be answered

Rob
www.tunerworks.com
Tunerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Glenn 328is
Hates the passenger seat!

I am not sure how it would work on the E30, but I installed the MZ3 shift lever in my car and it worked great for about 8 months or so. Due to the rubber shock absorbing material in the lever and the crappy bushings, there is now the original play in the shifter when in gear. An SSK eliminates this play due to the lever being of solid steel and the bushings used are urethane.
Glenn 328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 01:53 AM   #5
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

I've been thinking of replacing my shifter but a little metal rod with leather on top costing $200+ doesn't really seem like a good buy, in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:34 AM   #6
Albertae30
3rd Gear Member

i agree i can't justify that
Albertae30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
JazzM
6th Gear Member

For BMW I highly recommend the Whalen shifter (WSM). It's basically a shifter knob that sits about an inch and a half lower than an OEM knob. I've been running mine for almost a year. Excellant quality, good price and superb feel.

Best regards,

T.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:37 AM   #8
Glenn 328is
Hates the passenger seat!

You should do it. It is one of the best mods I've done. It reduces the throw by over 30% and it snicks into gear so sweetly. Combine this with a clutch stop and you will not go back. (Can E30s even use a clutch stop???? )
Glenn 328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I say get the Z3 shifter first, it's cheap anyway, if you don't like it you can always get the UUC later. Personally I have the ZM3 shifter on my car, in combination with a very short Momo knob. It's a short shifter all right, but it does get a little notchy in the colder weather. I also wrapped my selector rod in like 0.5kg of lead solder to make the shifting smoother. One day I might go for the UUC shifter, but for now I'm more then happy.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
Slowered318
loco de la cabaza

the SSK is way better because it replaces all the warn out parts with better quality, better bushings.
Slowered318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:08 PM   #11
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Z4 shifter works..mystikal ordered for his 325is

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 01:18 AM   #12
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

I'm planning to visit a junk/salvage near me or my school when the semester ends. I'm planning on the Z3, MZ3 or Z4 shifter if the price is right. Which do you all think would be better for '84 318i, also what's the estimated time for removal.

Hopefully once the swap is done everything will be cool. I would hate to loose that lovely shifter pop (similar to the the Mustang in Nicolas Cage's Gone In 60 Seconds) I get when shifting from reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sometime 4th. Only draw back is my parents, I think they would look at the swap negatively, hence they wouldn't be able to adjust to the new shift patern. They love to drive the bimma when they can get the keys.

Last edited by BladeRunner; 01-31-2004 at 01:20 AM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 02:33 PM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by BladeRunner
I'm planning to visit a junk/salvage near me or my school when the semester ends. I'm planning on the Z3, MZ3 or Z4 shifter if the price is right. Which do you all think would be better for '84 318i, also what's the estimated time for removal.

Hopefully once the swap is done everything will be cool. I would hate to loose that lovely shifter pop (similar to the the Mustang in Nicolas Cage's Gone In 60 Seconds) I get when shifting from reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sometime 4th. Only draw back is my parents, I think they would look at the swap negatively, hence they wouldn't be able to adjust to the new shift patern. They love to drive the bimma when they can get the keys.
I don't think the MZ3 shifter will work with the E30's. The person who sold me the one I'm currently using had problems with the ss on his E30. It was hitting against his driveshaft so he had to remove it. Looks like you'll have to get a SSK.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:57 AM   #14
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

oh well, i guess we'll just keep it loose...

What about the z3 (if it's any different from the z3m shifter) or z4 shifter. I think someone on here was talking about using one or the other on their z30. i'll just do some research...

Thanks

Last edited by BladeRunner; 02-01-2004 at 02:59 AM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:22 AM   #15
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by BladeRunner
oh well, i guess we'll just keep it loose...

What about the z3 (if it's any different from the z3m shifter) or z4 shifter. I think someone on here was talking about using one or the other on their z30. i'll just do some research...

Thanks
I think when people say "Z3" short shifter, they are actually referring to the "MZ3" shifter.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: