Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 6/8 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-26-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
WilDCarD
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to WilDCarD Send a message via AIM to WilDCarD Send a message via Yahoo to WilDCarD
850ci

Hello everyone,
I have a very welthy friend that just bought a BMW 850ci, paid cash for it ($93,000) and he wants to make it go faster. He wants way more accelleration out of it. He doesn't really care that much about top speed since he is kind of older (50's). He always drives the speed limit, but he wants a really fast car. The car is a 5.0 liter V-12, and puts out 300hp stock. He has had the exhaust upgraded and the driveline tweaked a tad, and is supposed to be up to 400 hp now. I can't find any aftermarket parts for the car, except OEM replacement stuff. Is there anything else you can do to that car to make it haul some major balls? I looked at the performance numbers (stock) for the car and they wern't that impressive. I saw 0 - 60 in 6 seconds. It HAS to go faster than that. I think my car could beat that hehe. Money is no issue. He wants to be able to tell a shop what to do to the car, not the other way around. If you fine people have any ideas, let me know!

Thanks,
Marty
1996 Chevy Impala SS - Modified
WilDCarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

he paid 93 grand for a 8series?

aren't they around 30 grand now?

correct me if i'm wrong
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:09 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
If he's not worried about top speed, a differential lower geared differential (numberically higher) would do it for him. But I don't know what the stock gearing is on the 850ci.

There are intake manifolds from Dinan that supposedly increase the power by 42hp and 55ft-lbs.

If money is really no object I'm pretty sure you'll have no problems getting someone to twin turbo that, or full build the engine.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
WilDCarD
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to WilDCarD Send a message via AIM to WilDCarD Send a message via Yahoo to WilDCarD
I am not 100% sure on the price he paid. That price was told to me by his son. Maybe he meant $39,000...

I suggested the Twin turbo setup for him but I never really got much response. I will let him know about the intake manifold(s?). Also, if he were to buy better gears for it, what would he need to look for when he goes to purchase them? I apologize for my ignorance, but I know nothing about BMW's. If it isn't a chevy, I don't know

Thanks,
Marty
1996 Chevy Impala SS
Old 01-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
WilDCarD
1st Gear Newbie

Is there anything else you guys can think of?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:53 PM   #6
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
I looked into these cars for a long time and I hate to tell you that's it's go extreme or stay stock... there is really not much you can do to that motor for reasonable money. a chip and exhaust will give a little more but you won't make this thing truly fast in any way without big money. My idea was to swap a e39 M5 motor in and do some serious weight reduction.. it just got too expensive and after driving the car I decided it was simply too large.
PS. the best condition one I was more serious about buying was selling for about $20K usd.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:02 PM   #7
WilDCarD
1st Gear Newbie

I certainly appreciate the feedback guys. Pretty much what you are saying is there are very few, if any, bolt-ons for his car. I'll sure pass on the information, and I'll direct him to this web site for future questions/problems/concerns. Thanks to all who replied.

-Marty
Old 01-26-2004, 10:20 PM   #8
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Must be nice to have that sorta money, specially for that car, makeing that car look and drive fast, is a tough thing to do, but once you acheive that, WOW!!

BTW, PLEASEEEEE show me some pics of that PALA of yours!
I loveeee the 95+ SS's, i think thats the NICEST lookin amercican car in existence!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:56 PM   #9
IVAN
5th Gear Member

YOu can achive it 2 hah. Just get your parents to open up wicked bar oh Cro coast.. Not to mention what type of Hrvartice are gonna come by haahah
IVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:41 AM   #10
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

theres a twin supercharged one in toronto, if i can remember correctly...empowerd helped out with it.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 01:06 PM   #11
WilDCarD
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
BTW, PLEASEEEEE show me some pics of that PALA of yours!
I loveeee the 95+ SS's, i think thats the NICEST lookin amercican car in existence!
Ok, Here are a few pictures. It is basically a stock bottom, but has a few performance mods done to it. It will pass the quarter mile in 13.6 seconds as long as I use my drag radials. On street tires, well, lets just not get into that. hehe
Here is a beauty shot of my car from the rear

Here is my sig pic that I use on my own car forums. I didn't post it here since this is a BMW forum, and I have lots of respect for you guys.

Sorry I don't have any engine photos yet...

BTW, I really appreciate the info about my friend's car. That
V-12 has some potential, especially with the kind of money he has. I will see if I can get a photo or 2 of his car to show everyone. Again, thank you all. If you come up with any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks again.

-Marty
Old 01-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by WilDCarD
Here is my sig pic that I use on my own car forums. I didn't post it here since this is a BMW forum, and I have lots of respect for you guys.
Feel free to put that picture in your sig, there is nothing wrong with that, it's no lack of respect. We're not snobs here. Nothing wrong with a nice Impala either
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:36 PM   #13
Soldo
6th Gear Member

WOW, your car is abso-freakin-lootly GORGEOUS!
One day i too will own an impala as pimpin as that!
Cept mines gonna have some nice 14" DAYTON's instead of drag rims!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:54 PM   #14
TiemenT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to TiemenT
Re: 850ci

Quote:
Originally posted by WilDCarD
Hello everyone,
I have a very welthy friend that just bought a BMW 850ci, paid cash for it ($93,000)
DAMN, In the netherlands an 850ci is about Ä15.000, and that's is about $17.000

so your friend is been f***ed

Don't steel Pasta's SIG!

------------------------------------------------
- Range Rover Hamann 5.0 Vogue V8 Sold for M5
- BMW ///M3 CSL
- E60 M5 on April 12th !
TiemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #15
///Milk
BangSentra

Send a message via ICQ to ///Milk Send a message via AIM to ///Milk Send a message via MSN to ///Milk Send a message via Yahoo to ///Milk Send a message via Skype™ to ///Milk
Re: Re: 850ci

Quote:
Originally posted by TiemenT
DAMN, In the netherlands an 850ci is about Ä15.000, and that's is about $17.000

so your friend is been f***ed
I know I'm late on the response.
But the 8 series in the US is a pretty rare find and ones in good condition are about $25+

///Milk

2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S
2009 Ford Focus SES Sedan
///Milk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: