Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-24-2004, 04:13 PM   #16
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
the loudness of the sound id dependant on many things including whether or not you have reonators...if the muffler itself is too loud then you can always have a resonator put in place
Old 01-25-2004, 07:33 PM   #17
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
I've had magnaflow on my 318 as well. It was too loud so I sold it. I'm now using an ANSA sport cat back exhaust which is expensive and very quiet. It provides a tasteful growl when you accelerate at higher RPM's.

The magnaflow produced a really bassy exhaust note which drove me insane, and it constantly backfired which I did not like at all. It made my car feel very "riced" out. At constant RPM's on city or highway the magnaflow would tend to droan and make every interior panel vibrate. Maybe some of you can take it, but honestly it gave me a headache, I couldn't even hear my music.

It's difficult to find a good sounding exhaust for the 318 without it being too raspy or too loud. So your best bet is to find a quiet one. ie Supersprint, ANSA or Brullen cat back. Some magnaflow cat backs are quiet as well, but their mufflers are just terrible. If you're really on a tight budget and don't care about having an exhaust that's TOO loud, buy the Magnaflow aluminized mufflers. It's about $100 and $50 for the tip. They last a very long time and have lifetime warranty as well. Not suited for my taste though. Also, if you have a cone intake it makes the exhaust note significantly louder.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 01-25-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:03 PM   #18
Three_1_Eight
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for all the replies about your exhaust recommendations. With all of this feedback it will be tough to formulate a decision!

Thanks Again!

Tom
Three_1_Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:52 PM   #19
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I've had magnaflow on my 318 as well. It was too loud so I sold it. I'm now using an ANSA sport cat back exhaust which is expensive and very quiet. It provides a tasteful growl when you accelerate at higher RPM's.

The magnaflow produced a really bassy exhaust note which drove me insane, and it constantly backfired which I did not like at all. It made my car feel very "riced" out. At constant RPM's on city or highway the magnaflow would tend to droan and make every interior panel vibrate. Maybe some of you can take it, but honestly it gave me a headache, I couldn't even hear my music.

It's difficult to find a good sounding exhaust for the 318 without it being too raspy or too loud. So your best bet is to find a quiet one. ie Supersprint, ANSA or Brullen cat back. Some magnaflow cat backs are quiet as well, but their mufflers are just terrible. If you're really on a tight budget and don't care about having an exhaust that's TOO loud, buy the Magnaflow aluminized mufflers. It's about $100 and $50 for the tip. They last a very long time and have lifetime warranty as well. Not suited for my taste though. Also, if you have a cone intake it makes the exhaust note significantly louder.

Bryan
well I'm sold. No magnaflow for my M42. I've honestly never heard of ANSA... but I'm also just starting to do my muffler research. How much different is from stock (sound-wise?) ... and what do the tips look like? And most importantly (for my little student budget), how much did it cost installed?

Thanks bro,
Justin
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:24 PM   #20
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
How is Remus, does anyone know??

2000 Audi A8 SWB Silver/Black
1992 BMW 525iT/5 White/Blue [MPars, HIDs, cargo net]
1989 525i [scrapped]
1995 BMW 318i DASC [sold]
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:51 PM   #21
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
I heard a Remus on a 318is, sounded awesome.. not too loud, very very nice growl. You know what they say... Remus makes a BMW speak German.

But pricey.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: