Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-22-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Three_1_Eight
2nd Gear Member

1994 318is Exhaust

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anybody had any good suggestions for a good moderately priced exhaust system for my 318is.

I would like a dual tip exhaust and am located in Edmonton so I would like to find a dealer from Canada preferably.

Any recommendations would be great. Also, are most of these direct bolt on's or would I have to do some cutting/modification and/or welding.

Thanks,
Tom
Three_1_Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
bump this! ... I just came online to ask the same question for my 318i.. I'm in Toronto. Looking for a dual straight tip....

any recommendations within a reasonable price range?

J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:36 PM   #3
Three_1_Eight
2nd Gear Member

Does anybody have experience with Magnaflow? I was just on their website however they do not provide pricing. I have a M3 rear bumper so the size of muffler/tips would help as well.

Thank You
Three_1_Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Magnaflow will fit... dunno if modding is required, but I've seen / heard quite a few on M3's
Old 01-23-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
illevated23
1st Gear Newbie

i can name a few brands...
supersprint..
uuc..
ac schnitzer

theres also some stores here in vancouver
go to www.cgmotorsports.com
www.bavauto.com

or if u want replica mufflers u can visit
www.autorice.com
my friend sells replicas from there and can send it to edmonton or w/e in canada
illevated23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Brullen!
Old 01-23-2004, 04:27 PM   #7
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
I work at a shop that deals with magnaflow products..and all i can say is that they are amazing for their price......
great quality stuff with a nice sound..not too loud but it still has a nice low growel... a fully stainless steel muffler with the dual tips runs around 250 installed at my shop
Old 01-23-2004, 08:32 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
I work at a shop that deals with magnaflow products..and all i can say is that they are amazing for their price......
great quality stuff with a nice sound..not too loud but it still has a nice low growel... a fully stainless steel muffler with the dual tips runs around 250 installed at my shop

what type of tips do they have on them?.. fit in an M3 rear?... do you have one on your car I can hear? ...
Old 01-23-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
Justin e36
---

how good are replica mufflers?
Old 01-24-2004, 03:18 AM   #10
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

you can get all kinds of different tips and yes they will fit an M3 bumper. I dont have one on my car yet but come spring time I'm going to be putting one on...
as far as the replica mufflers go...im not too sure how they are..I've never used one.....the magnaflows are generally competitive enough in the pricing and they come with a LIFETIME warranty that most people just get the Magnaflow..
Old 01-24-2004, 03:21 AM   #11
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

BTW...do you have ne pix from the back of your car where you can get a good look at the crystal M3 lights... I want to buy a set but im not sure what they look like on a car yet....
Old 01-24-2004, 03:32 AM   #12
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Magnaflow experience

I had Magnaflow on my former car ('89 325i) and they are loud. Long trips are annoying especially if you want to talk to other people inside the car. I mean, it's fun and all and it sounds real deep and sporty at idle and fine for short trips but for daily driving and long commutes, it was annoying.

This is just my opinion so make sure you hear one first (not just idling and slow cruising but going highway speed as well). Take it for a long ride so you know what to expect.

If your car is a weekend car then I'd highly recommend it.
jmalixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:38 PM   #13
Justin e36
---

Quote:
you can get all kinds of different tips and yes they will fit an M3 bumper. I dont have one on my car yet but come spring time I'm going to be putting one on...
as far as the replica mufflers go...im not too sure how they are..I've never used one.....the magnaflows are generally competitive enough in the pricing and they come with a LIFETIME warranty that most people just get the Magnaflow..
... sounds good. I will have to hear a Magnaflow on a 318 first. Supersprint II sounds good on the M cars... and I've always loved Remus... was thinking of getting a Remus replica. I know they "look" the same... but I'd really like to find out about quality, performance, and sound as well.

No rush though.. maybe I'll check yours out when you put the exhaust on in the spring time...

thanks,

Justin
Old 01-24-2004, 12:43 PM   #14
Justin e36
---

Quote:
BTW...do you have ne pix from the back of your car where you can get a good look at the crystal M3 lights... I want to buy a set but im not sure what they look like on a car yet....
Unfortunately I don't... all the pics of my ride (including the one in my sig) are from March or so. I got the crystal tails recently... haven't seen another e36 on the road with em though. Could just be the area I'm living in though... but personally, I think they look better than the stock euro tails.

A word of warning... these tails are designed for the Euro cars, which have different wiring schematics to accomodate the rear fog light. (which is cool, so you can do a Euro Fog Tails mod) ... however, when you install them initially you'll find your turn signal coming on instead of your break light on one side, and a reverse light on the other side. Your other reverse light, and your brake light will be on all the time (as running lights)... it's really messed up. So you'll need to do some rewiring... I've also had to tape my brake light on the left, and run it to the bulb on the right. So if you're not comfortable doing this, I don't recommend it... it's not that difficult to do, if you have the mindset for it. Also, the design is different from the stock tails, and the usual tails... this one is all wires crisscrossing... (and much cheaper mind you... even though from the back you can't tell, as they seat perfectly.) which means you can't change the bulbs easily from the holes in your trunk. There will be times when it'd be easier, or you'd be forced to unwire everything, remove the complete tail light, change the bulb, and wire it all back up / install it again. A real pain in the winter months.

I'll see if I can get some recent pics for you though...
Old 01-24-2004, 12:44 PM   #15
Justin e36
---

Re: Magnaflow experience

Quote:
Originally posted by jmalixi
I had Magnaflow on my former car ('89 325i) and they are loud. Long trips are annoying especially if you want to talk to other people inside the car. I mean, it's fun and all and it sounds real deep and sporty at idle and fine for short trips but for daily driving and long commutes, it was annoying.

This is just my opinion so make sure you hear one first (not just idling and slow cruising but going highway speed as well). Take it for a long ride so you know what to expect.

If your car is a weekend car then I'd highly recommend it.
Good info to keep in mind... but I drive my bimmer for a couple hours every day... and usually highways in the morning. Did it come with a silencer?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: