Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-28-2001, 11:35 PM   #16
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Rob,

I'm not trying to get the final word in, but I just have to make one last point (before you totally think I'm against the blue/white mark).... In case you haven't noticed, any motorsport that a manufacturer goes out to conquer with $50 million in their budget will be do good... probably win too (look at Bentley at LeMans). My point is, Honda choosed Indy.... BMW chooses F1.... does it make a difference? BMW pulled out of DTM racing in '90.... does that make all the others (Alfa, Ford, Benz, Audi, Opel) brands any better? -- You can't compare $millions invested in different programs and make a generalization of an entire manufacturer. BMW has dominated Auto Racing longer than Honda, but Honda has dominated Motorcycle Racing the entire time (I hate Honda bikes).

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 11:53 AM   #17
M3ntal Kev
3rd Gear Member

Re: Anyways..

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
back to the thread...so who's got this A&E documentary??

The A&E video is on my hard drive. As soon as somebody emails me where they'd like it FTP'd to I'll do it.

One last thing... even if you hate Hondas (I don't hate any brand, I just love particular models and engines), take Nissan as a decent example of Japanese motor building excellence.

Now before you start ranting about how the Skyline is unobtainable etc. consider that the Skyline is not the car I'm thinking of.

Think Nissan Sentra and the SR20 series or 2L motors which were/are also available in the turbo charged JDM Silvia.

/// M3NTAL Kev

M3ntal Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 12:21 PM   #18
M3Pilot
2nd Gear Member

I'm with Randy you got give respect when it's due, just cos it's not a BMW don't mean that there not good or quick cars. I love BMW's but Japanese cars are some of the best built and most tunable cars there are.
You may not like a car but you still got to respect the engineering that has gone it to making such a good car.
A great car is a great car who every makes it.

" If it all seems under control, your just not going fast enough!!!"
M3Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 07:13 PM   #19
GimpZ3
2nd Gear Member

Re: Anyways..

Quote:
back to the thread...so who's got this A&E documentary??
I have it

if you want it, just swing by and i'll make you a copy.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:30 PM   #20
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
Rob,

I'm not trying to get the final word in, but I just have to make one last point (before you totally think I'm against the blue/white mark).... In case you haven't noticed, any motorsport that a manufacturer goes out to conquer with $50 million in their budget will be do good... probably win too (look at Bentley at LeMans). My point is, Honda choosed Indy.... BMW chooses F1.... does it make a difference? BMW pulled out of DTM racing in '90.... does that make all the others (Alfa, Ford, Benz, Audi, Opel) brands any better? -- You can't compare $millions invested in different programs and make a generalization of an entire manufacturer. BMW has dominated Auto Racing longer than Honda, but Honda has dominated Motorcycle Racing the entire time (I hate Honda bikes).
Actually Randy, you're partially wrong there. Honda is in F1 the same way that BMW is in F1. They both make engines for other manufacturers. Honda is building engines for BAR (et al), while BMW is building engines for Williams. And both teams have factory sponsorship, and the BMW engine is far ahead of the Honda engine in F1 (currently).

Now, transition to the street however, is something else. One thing stock BMW engines have not taken well is the addition of forced air. Stickley gave up forced air for that reason; long term reliability. The Japanese engines *seem* to handle forced air much better than the BMW engines do. However, one could ask Nick about his Eagle Talon (roughly 700 HP), and the fact that he can do no more than 3 or 4 laps at the track without something failing....

In reality though, it's apples to oranges. With enough money, ANY car can be made fast enough. If I was stupid enough, I could take a Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel and build that into a quick vehicle (for a 5000 lb 4WD truck...). All it takes is money, and plenty of devotion to it.

Now, just to throw things off a little farther, I'm not much of a fan of 1/4 mile anymore anyway. I appreciate it, and I appreciate what it takes to do it well (used to run an '87 GN in Calgary...and at Cayuga for awhile). I just prefer the road racing (read: Track) scene now.

And as to Mike; it might be pronounced Booker, but it's definately spelled anything but "Booker". Except I'd have to look up how to spell his name.....

And yes, his S14 is a mess in terms of reliability. He really needs to swap that S14 out for an S52 engine instead. A little more weight, but much better torque, reliabilty and overhead for developing power.

In the end, the one thing that Honda (and now Toyota as well) is doing much better than BMW (and Audi) is endorsing the aftermarket and the end-users. BMW (and now Audi) are basically abandoning the enthusiast / track-user, while Honda and Toyota have started to seriously embrace that segment. This will only serve to improve Honda's standing in the performance marketplace.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 06:08 PM   #21
Schnell
2nd Gear Member

just a little nugget of information regarding the M10 in that 02, that is the same block that BMW used in its F1 cars in the early 80s and these engines produced 750 or 800 hp in race trim and over 1200 hp in the qualifying "hand grenade" engines. The unreal thing is that BMW Motorsport found that blocks that had been "aged" for 40,000 miles or so were the most reliable in competition!
Stereo
F@$%ing Automatic 4-speed
Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 08:09 PM   #22
GimpZ3
2nd Gear Member

Re: Re: Re: Anyways..

Quote:

Ian..(GimpZ3)... you have it? good,when can I pass by?? Should I bring a blank tape or do you have one?I'll pay you for yours if you do have one..
Rob, I have it backed up on a CDR ready to play on your PC. You can just have it.

Just ICQ me (27654815) or MSN (cosmo_24@hotmail.com) and I'll let you know when you can swing by and pick it up.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:09 AM   #23
GimpZ3
2nd Gear Member

Rob,

Your email address bounces. Anyways, this Saturday is okay as long as it is between 6-8ish pm. If that's too late, i'll bring it to my work and you can pick it up there.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:35 PM   #24
GimpZ3
2nd Gear Member

Re: Ian..

Quote:
...my email was down temporarily..anyways between 6-8ish is fine by me...besides you can literally throw it over,we live so close..

hahaa
no problem
Old 01-06-2002, 03:32 AM   #25
GimpZ3
2nd Gear Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ian..

Quote:
Ian,I passed by your house,but no-one answerd the door?
Rob, I was home till about 9:30pm and didn't hear the door ring at all! LOL

I'll leave the CD in my mailbox for you tomorrow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: