Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
How do I manually clean my ICV?

I've got an M42. I'm not having any problems with my motor, I'm just bored and want to work on my car

I figure since my car has high milage the previous owner probably has not cleaned the ICV (Idle control valve). I've read that every 80,000miles it should be cleaned. I've got 230,000km's so probably a good time to do so.

If anyone can redirect me to a site that has DIY information or just give me the gist of it, I'd apprecaite it.

And I don't care how cheap or expensive it is to have it done by someone else, I'm doing it myself dammit

Thanks,

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Gamite

use a tooth brush

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Ok.. let me rephraze the question. Where the heck is my ICV located, and how do I remove it? Secondly, what part should I be cleaning? I have no idea where this thing is located or what it even looks like. I assume it would be somewhere near my throttle body cable.

Thanks in advance

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
kco325
1st Gear Newbie

while you're at it, polish the outside with jeweller's rouge or a liquidy polish and a dremel / buffing wheel.
They shine right up...
kco325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #5
Gamite

Actually, I hear toothpaste works better.

Then use mouthwash to rinse it away.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:28 PM   #6
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Anyone else want to help me with this?

I'm not asking how to clean it. I'm asking where the thing is!

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 01-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #7
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
got a pic of your engine bay? I will circle it for you
Old 01-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #8
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00066.jpg (60.8 KB, 82 views)

Old 01-20-2004, 05:57 AM   #9
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
It should be somewhere around your throttle body i believe.
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:24 AM   #10
fabianyee
2nd Gear Member

It's underneath the top half of the intake manifold.
You have to remove the top of the intake manifold to get access to the ICV

www.BMWClub.com.my
fabianyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:42 PM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by fabianyee
It's underneath the top half of the intake manifold.
You have to remove the top of the intake manifold to get access to the ICV
You've got to be kidding me. That's a hell of a lot of work! I've swapped out manifolds on the M42 before and it takes hours, the fuel lines and hoses are such a pain in the ass. Are you positive about this?

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 01-20-2004, 04:57 PM   #12
fabianyee
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
You've got to be kidding me. That's a hell of a lot of work! I've swapped out manifolds on the M42 before and it takes hours, the fuel lines and hoses are such a pain in the ass. Are you positive about this?

Thanks,

Bryan
Not kidding you, it is underneath the top half manifold. Actually, you can loosen the top half manifold while keeping whatever hoses in place, just relocate it enuf for you to reach the ICV...

I know it's where I said it is, as I was there when my mechanic remove the top half manifold to replace the engine temp sensor. That was a b*tch to replace as well....

While at it, I saw the '3rd' butterfly throttle.... Interesting how this little thing can improve the low and midrange torque...

www.BMWClub.com.my
fabianyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:50 PM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by fabianyee
Not kidding you, it is underneath the top half manifold. Actually, you can loosen the top half manifold while keeping whatever hoses in place, just relocate it enuf for you to reach the ICV...

I know it's where I said it is, as I was there when my mechanic remove the top half manifold to replace the engine temp sensor. That was a b*tch to replace as well....

While at it, I saw the '3rd' butterfly throttle.... Interesting how this little thing can improve the low and midrange torque...
Thanks for the info. I think that's a much larger project than I have time for right now. I was thinking of tinkering with something that would take a few hours at most.

I agree with you, the technology used in the M42 motors are quite impressive. I'm constantly impressed as I learn new things about my motor that I had no clue existed before I could do with a little more power though.

Bry

Old 01-20-2004, 08:10 PM   #14
Gamite

get a long toothbrush that will reach under, see! problem solved!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: