Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-21-2004, 12:56 PM   #16
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Does your ABS kick in a lot?
mine does.. all the time when i stop hard.. is there a way to fix that?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:40 PM   #17
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318
I would think that a good thing pal. YOur brakes really grab on tight but mine never do. Way too much fade
Old 01-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #18
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
My brakes are very good and I dont notice alot of brake fade.. I think what might be happening with you is that because of the big rims you have added unsprung weight which is making it harder on ur brakes.....
thats just a possibility...
i think the solution for you is a Brembo big brake kit.....
Old 01-21-2004, 05:14 PM   #19
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
My brakes are very good and I dont notice alot of brake fade.. I think what might be happening with you is that because of the big rims you have added unsprung weight which is making it harder on ur brakes.....
thats just a possibility...
i think the solution for you is a Brembo big brake kit.....
Thats what I was thing pal because right now with the snows on the thing stops amazing. So I think its time to go bigger
Old 01-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #20
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by greekthang
No thinair to my recollection it never has.
Never? Not even if you stand on the brake pedal? That is just weird. Even with my super heavy 19's I could get my ABS to work, I don't think the weight of the rim has a whole lot to do with it, well, it does, but not enough to prevent your ABS from working.

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318
Get better tires.

Also, I can get my brakes to fade (OEM rotors, pads, lines, fluid), but only if I do threshold braking a few times from like 150-50. But I've never gotten them to fade from any street driving (aside from trying to make them fade).
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #21
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Never? Not even if you stand on the brake pedal? That is just weird. Even with my super heavy 19's I could get my ABS to work, I don't think the weight of the rim has a whole lot to do with it, well, it does, but not enough to prevent your ABS from working.

Get better tires.

Also, I can get my brakes to fade (OEM rotors, pads, lines, fluid), but only if I do threshold braking a few times from like 150-50. But I've never gotten them to fade from any street driving (aside from trying to make them fade).
Hey thinair if I hammer on the brakes hard then yeah they will but I get much better response on braking with the 16's I have on now so it must be the rims then. Noticed that yesterday and today big time
Old 01-22-2004, 01:35 PM   #22
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Hey thinair if I hammer on the brakes hard then yeah they will but I get much better response on braking with the 16's I have on now so it must be the rims then. Noticed that yesterday and today big time
I dunno what to tell you, I guess go for a larger brake kit and see what happens. I haven't installed my M kit yet, so I don't know how much of a difference it'll make yet.

Have you tried rebleeding your brakes? Maybe something contaminated the pads (oils and such). Could also be due to the cross drilled rotors, they actually brake worse then non-drilled or slotted rotors.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 01-22-2004, 03:12 PM   #23
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I dunno what to tell you, I guess go for a larger brake kit and see what happens. I haven't installed my M kit yet, so I don't know how much of a difference it'll make yet.

Have you tried rebleeding your brakes? Maybe something contaminated the pads (oils and such). Could also be due to the cross drilled rotors, they actually brake worse then non-drilled or slotted rotors.
Very true Thinair I will switch from the cross drilled to slotted or solid
Old 01-22-2004, 03:31 PM   #24
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Very true Thinair I will switch from the cross drilled to slotted or solid
Well, if you're planning on still doing the M brake kit, just wait it out until you have them. I wouldn't spend more money on rotors if you're swapping the whole front brakes altogether right?

Btw, the 16's you have, they're the stock sport package rims right?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:08 PM   #25
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Well, if you're planning on still doing the M brake kit, just wait it out until you have them. I wouldn't spend more money on rotors if you're swapping the whole front brakes altogether right?

Btw, the 16's you have, they're the stock sport package rims right?
Thinair I am just going to save my cash for the swap. They are not the stock sprt rims they are steels.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:04 PM   #26
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Thinair I am just going to save my cash for the swap. They are not the stock sprt rims they are steels.
You know what, with 16" steelies you should be able to fit M brakes under them.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:48 PM   #27
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
You know what, with 16" steelies you should be able to fit M brakes under them.

Thats awesome thinair did you try it already because alot of people are telling me you can't ??
Old 01-23-2004, 12:04 AM   #28
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Thats awesome thinair did you try it already because alot of people are telling me you can't ??
Well, I don't think they'll fit under the stock 16" sport wheels, but the steel rims have thinner metal along the rim lips. I'm gonna be in the garage working on my car tomorrow, if i have time I'll try to fit the brakes under the stock 16" sport wheel and let you know if it clears, or how much more room it needs.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:38 PM   #29
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Well, I don't think they'll fit under the stock 16" sport wheels, but the steel rims have thinner metal along the rim lips. I'm gonna be in the garage working on my car tomorrow, if i have time I'll try to fit the brakes under the stock 16" sport wheel and let you know if it clears, or how much more room it needs.
Awesome thinair. When you find out pal please let me know. Thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 06:40 PM   #30
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Awesome thinair. When you find out pal please let me know. Thanks
Well, I checked the brakes, they won't fit without spacers on the 16" sport wheels. Steel rims usually have thinner walls, so it may fit on the steelies. I took some pics, I'll post it later on today

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: