Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2004, 12:02 AM   #16
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
huh??
im talking about the one which is near the shifter

What difference does it make where the shifter is?
Well sometimes it does(like on Civic SiR)but it is not like it is in some awkward place
Yeah,the big knob below the shifter.Audi dont have anything similiar to the I-Drive.

Theres no shifter on the 7,everything is done thru the computer.I heard it has some 400 features.
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:42 AM   #17
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Regarding the Audi system: It does have a similar setup to I-drive. But it's getting really good reviews, saying it's very intuitive and easy to learn, with a lot better menu setup. It was either R&T or C&D, in a comparison that the 745 and A8 were in. I believe it's called MMI (Multimedia Interface).

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:45 AM   #18
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
Regarding the Audi system: It does have a similar setup to I-drive. But it's getting really good reviews, saying it's very intuitive and easy to learn, with a lot better menu setup. It was either R&T or C&D, in a comparison that the 745 and A8 were in. I believe it's called MMI (Multimedia Interface).
Doesnt it have like much less features then the I-Drive??
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:06 AM   #19
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyvadim
Doesnt it have like much less features then the I-Drive??
I dunno, but here's a good piece of the article:

Quote:
BMW tried to take over control of HVAC, audio, chassis settings, trip info, navigation, etc., with a screen. You make your choices with a single knob that turns, toggles, and clicks; it's a mouse substitute. Worse yet, the company forced ordinary controls into some contortion of the knob thing; for example, you must select the part of the seat you want to adjust by pressing a button, then twist or toggle a knob to make it move. Okay, but what was wrong with the old way?

In fact, the 745i has buttons and rockers scattered about the dash that let you adjust HVAC and do very basic radio/CD changes without using iDrive. But they're so haphazard in their logic that they only add to the annoyance.

We've given iDrive 18 months to persuade us. It failed. Now the F is in ink. Fearless prediction: The 745i will take a beating on resale.

BMW's pickle is made worse by the fact that it's all by itself at the irritating extreme. The Jaguar and the Lexus are very friendly; they have touch screens, surely the easiest input method, and they provide full HVAC and entertainment control without the screen. In fact, you needn't agree with their lawyers if you don't use the navigation.

Audi and VW are almost as screen-centric as BMW, but they have a critical improvement: Separate buttons, well-labeled, bring up the various menus. Their graphics are also vastly superior to BMW's. We find them relatively easy to operate, particularly the VW's.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:48 AM   #20
PBalla
3rd Gear Member

well duh of course Audi and VW and now Benz are going to have better imitation 'i-drives' they weren't the inventors but rather the innovators of a system started by BMW and now selling it as their own
Old 01-16-2004, 08:18 AM   #21
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pharshballa
well duh of course Audi and VW and now Benz are going to have better imitation 'i-drives' they weren't the inventors but rather the innovators of a system started by BMW and now selling it as their own
well not alot of people like the i-drive, for example more older poeple maybe? My dad for example wouldnt want to have that in the car coz he has no clue what to do with it....he never used a computer so from now i guess it will be a race who can make it more simple so people wouldnt be so confused with it.....i think benz will make it more user friendly...

what ya think?
Old 01-16-2004, 03:49 PM   #22
PBalla
3rd Gear Member

well im sure benz could appeal to that market, because they already do

their transmissions, those upper class seniors dont want to 'row the MB' so AMG could make it easier on them

but BMW Is a driving machine, i've only used iDrive on the new 5 and found no trouble with it, its really not that hard to learn.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:54 PM   #23
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyvadim
Im not into the new technology either,i like the basic stuff.I dont know if thats something similiar to the I-drive or not but atleast it got a shifter unlike the 7.Thats the new A8 right??
I must agree once you start adding new technology you get new problems. For instance anyone seen the the video of the BMW 7 with the waky trunk that wouldn't go up or down on demand? Lastly, its the basics thing I say keep it simiple, if the simple stuff works why go advance...? Most of the people that can afford the 7 are most likely middle ages or over so they dislike new technology or even all technology for that matter (DAD for example bought a damn C-VHS for $180. what they hell you can get MVD or that other one with like 3X zoom for that price. The video quality sucks might I add. Anyone buying C-VHS or Hi-8 these days should be shot unless it is a must. Face it VHS and 8 are dead DEAD I TELL YOU DEAD let them go in peace BladeRunner toses the flowers upon the casket for VHS and 8, and says "FARWELL").
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:19 AM   #24
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

I think they are making the BMW lineup to deep. I liked it the way it was 3, 5, 7, 8 M, and X. That was enough to me, but now it seems like they're trying to attack all sides of the market to gain more $$. I hate to say this but I think it will bite BMW in the ass later. Think about whenever you tell someone your driving a BMW for 318 to the top they look at you like your loaded, if the expansion continues this may no longer be. Anyway, whenever you redesign your suppose to show tribute to the past design are you. These new ones don't seem to be really doing that anyway in traffic I can tell a BMW from a Honda until I see the badge. So it has been nice mister, so long and have a nice whatever...just my 0.20 cents.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: