Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-15-2004, 05:28 AM   #16
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
I don't think a e30 could handle that much Hp. I figure it would buckle. I have seen those ones in europe with 400 hp but I am suresomething was done to the frame to stablize it
Old 01-15-2004, 05:30 AM   #17
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase
I don't think a e30 could handle that much Hp. I figure it would buckle. I have seen those ones in europe with 400 hp but I am suresomething was done to the frame to stablize it
You think? 1995 E34 M5's had 335hp stock.... do you really think you'd need to reinforce the frame for an extra 65 Hp?

When you say reinforce, are you talking roll cage?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:31 AM   #18
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Alpina B10 from '89-'94 with the 3.5l bi turbo 6 had 354hp / 360bhp and Dinan 535i from '88-'92 with the M30 6 - 3.7l engine had 450hp / 457bhp stock with no reinforced frame.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:35 AM   #19
Jase
twisted beyond reason

I may stand corrected!. I was worried since I replaced my floors and the car was 20Years old it could not handle it.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:38 AM   #20
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
I may stand corrected!. I was worried since I replaced my floors and the car was 20Years old it could not handle it.
But when you say REINFORCED FAME, what do you mean? how is a frame reinforced? Are you talking about installing some crazy 8 point cage?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:42 AM   #21
Jase
twisted beyond reason

More or less installing a secondary frame along side the original including connecting the sub frame together. Since the car is a unibody similar to a camaro the frame once connected is much stronger.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:47 AM   #22
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
More or less installing a secondary frame along side the original including connecting the sub frame together. Since the car is a unibody similar to a camaro the frame once connected is much stronger.
Im sure that would be a great thing to do, but I personally have never heard of a BMW with too much HP bending a frame... is that possible? How does too much HP bend a frame? I know thats possible but what exactly causes the frame to twist?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:51 AM   #23
Jase
twisted beyond reason

When a car launches it twists . Watch a car at the drag stip. One side of the front of the car lifts. Sometimes it does come back down. Or over time it crcks the frame or body panels ect.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:54 AM   #24
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
When a car launches it twists . Watch a car at the drag stip. One side of the front of the car lifts. Sometimes it does come back down. Or over time it crcks the frame or body panels ect.
so why cant you just reinforce the front of the car?
Old 01-15-2004, 06:01 AM   #25
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
so why cant you just reinforce the front of the car?
I am not sure I guess that might work.I still think it would cost me alot of mney to do the LS1 even if I put it in
Old 01-15-2004, 06:07 AM   #26
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
I am not sure I guess that might work.I still think it would cost me alot of money to do the LS1 even if I put it in
what kinda parts would you need besides the engine, computer and a tranny?
Old 01-15-2004, 06:12 AM   #27
Jase
twisted beyond reason

bigger rad, drive shaft, rearend then you have to mount it
Old 01-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #28
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
bigger rad, drive shaft, rearend then you have to mount it
DRIVESHAFT according to the guy that installed the small block chevy motor in his E30:
My drive shaft is actually 3 shafts welded into one. Chevy trans. yoke welded to a junkyard (Chrysler I believe) shaft that is welded to the BMW rear "yoke". The BMW drive shaft is NON-serviceable. I found this out after taking the u-joint off. We found a u-joint that fit at a local auto store. My father put everything together and hit it with a couple tack welds to hold the u-joint caps in place. I used epoxy to completely secure the u-joint in place

STOCK REAREND.

Both axles had a bad cvc boot when I bought the car. It made a little noise when putting the car in drive or reverse. I made it a few thousand miles before one of the CV Joints pretty much came apart. I replaced the axle shafts with 90,000-mile axles and haven't had any problems since. I do have a 3.73 rear end to replace the 2.93 but haven't felt the need. I know the acceleration would be better but I really enjoy cruising in 4th gear below 2,000rpm on the freeway.

COOLING.

I installed a HOWE aluminum radiator with a front mounted fan..very unfortunate that there is not as much room between the water pump and radiator. The front mount electric fan pretty much rules out an air conditioning install.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:41 AM   #29
Jase
twisted beyond reason

I am going to give my friend a call tommorrow. If he still has it and offers it to me at the price we agreed It may be worth considering.Ahhhhh 6 speed 300hp e30..I still think it may be a bit harder than it seems. Where is that write up from?
Old 01-15-2004, 06:51 AM   #30
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
I am going to give my friend a call tommorrow. If he still has it and offers it to me at the price we agreed It may be worth considering.Ahhhhh 6 speed 300hp e30..I still think it may be a bit harder than it seems. Where is that write up from?
right here: http://www.personal.kent.edu/~wbainey/BMW.htm
Maybe we should talk at the detroit show

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: