Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-13-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
Jammasterj
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jammasterj
Cool 2004 M3 Vs. 2003 Mustang Cobra

Which car do you think would win?

Quarter Mile?
0-60?
What about in the turns?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Didn't we have this discussion already?

The Cobra would win in acceleration, at any speed. The track times, I'm not too sure. The Cobra has a huge power/torque advantage and a lot more rubber on the road, but I wouldn't bet on either.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:02 PM   #3
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

i dunno...but i;d rather take the M for sure!

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
328is_Perf
5th Gear Member

http://www.fast-autos.net/makes.html

Cobra:

0-60 mph: 4.5 sec
0-100 mph: 10.4 sec
Quarter Mile: est 12.9 sec @ 111 mph
Skidpad: .90g
Top Speed: 155 mph (limited)

M3:
0-60 mph: 4.7 sec
0-100 mph: 11.6 sec
Quarter Mile: 13.2 sec @ 109 mph
Skidpad: .91g
Top Speed: 155 mph (limited)
Braking, 60-0 mph: 112 ft
Slalom Speed: 65.1 mph

You got way better handling in the M3

The ONE and ONLY TRUE ///M3:
E36 ///M3 GTR
328is_Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:24 PM   #5
Jammasterj
2nd Gear Member

We did have this discussion already. but i wanted to get ppls opinions.

I did some reasearch myself
Road and Track.com
Bmw M3
0-60mph 4.7sec
Quarter 13.3sec
Top Speed 155mph (limited)

Mustang Cobra
0-60mph 4.9sec
Quarter 13.2sec
Top Speed 155mph (limited)

Looks like the M3 would give the Cobra a run for its money after all...

But as we all know...the stats very based on who is driving the car
Old 01-14-2004, 01:31 AM   #6
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Those seem very slow. C&D got the 0-60 in 4.5 and 1/4 in 12.9.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:05 AM   #7
moerom
6th Gear Member

Trust me the Cobra walks away from the M3 at any speed. They are underrated and most 03/04 Cobra's make 380-390 at the wheels, which means around 440 at the crank.

HOWEVER

I would take an M3 anyday because of the feel, balance, and the prestige.

In terms of raw numbers though, the Cobra dominates this comparison.
moerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:33 AM   #8
MorningCruiser
6th Gear Member

I'm gonna get flamed out the behind for this but on the track the cobra would walk on the M3.

Even if it couldn't keep up in corners (though I'd put money on it that it can), as soon as it's outta the corner it's for 400ft-lbs of torque and 400hp to push it past the M3.

Be honest now, American cars don't handle nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to. I'd take an M over a Cobra, but I'd still get my ass handed to me by a Cobra.

I will for sure get flamed for this remark: An M3 is not king **** of the car world. To be honest, it's not even king **** of the euro world. BMW owners need to pull their heads out of the sand and realise that the M3 really isn't quite so "high in the sportscar world" that the majority of BMW owners seem to think it is. Yes, it handles well, yes, it accelerates well, but it is by no means a top performer, especially for it's new car pricerange. And before anyone touts remarks of class and prestige try to remember this is about performance, not which is more likely to get you laid (I think a cobra would out here anyways ).

With that said, I love BMWs.
MorningCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:55 AM   #9
UncleJ
Average Homeboy

Quote:
Originally posted by MorningCruiser
I'm gonna get flamed out the behind for this but on the track the cobra would walk on the M3.

Even if it couldn't keep up in corners (though I'd put money on it that it can), as soon as it's outta the corner it's for 400ft-lbs of torque and 400hp to push it past the M3.

Be honest now, American cars don't handle nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to. I'd take an M over a Cobra, but I'd still get my ass handed to me by a Cobra.

I will for sure get flamed for this remark: An M3 is not king **** of the car world. To be honest, it's not even king **** of the euro world. BMW owners need to pull their heads out of the sand and realise that the M3 really isn't quite so "high in the sportscar world" that the majority of BMW owners seem to think it is. Yes, it handles well, yes, it accelerates well, but it is by no means a top performer, especially for it's new car pricerange. And before anyone touts remarks of class and prestige try to remember this is about performance, not which is more likely to get you laid (I think a cobra would out here anyways ).

BMW and the M3 in general are the benchmarks for their class. That's why it's so praised.

Maxbimmer gangbang.. cmon peoples!!! throw some high fives, slap dinks together and take turns!!
UncleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:02 AM   #10
MorningCruiser
6th Gear Member

For it's CLASS.

The M3 class is the "Luxury Performance Saloon - Mid Class", not the "High Performance Road/Track Car" like the Mustang Cobra *where's a rolleye smiley when I need one?*... So as such should not be placed in the same class and still praised like it's king ****.

By the way, by mid class I mean: It's not a mercedes (which is High Class).

*flamesuit*
Old 01-14-2004, 05:13 AM   #11
Jammasterj
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

Well im going to say you have alot of guts to make such a right wing comment....i respect that!

but as for everyone who said the M3 would get eaten! sure the cobra has 400hp and 400lb/ft torque but you need to look at the figures here...

THEY ARE ALMOST THE SAME...meaning it would be a tie
A 20 milisecond difference is hardly visable by the naked eye..i think the M3 would give the stang a run for its money.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:23 AM   #12
SickFinga

Quote:
For it's CLASS.

The M3 class is the "Luxury Performance Saloon - Mid Class", not the "High Performance Road/Track Car" like the Mustang Cobra *where's a rolleye smiley when I need one?*... So as such should not be placed in the same class and still praised like it's king ****.

By the way, by mid class I mean: It's not a mercedes (which is High Class).

*flamesuit*
How is Mercedes a high class and BMW is a mid-class?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:28 AM   #13
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Quote:
Originally posted by moerom
Trust me the Cobra walks away from the M3 at any speed. They are underrated and most 03/04 Cobra's make 380-390 at the wheels, which means around 440 at the crank.

HOWEVER

I would take an M3 anyday because of the feel, balance, and the prestige.

In terms of raw numbers though, the Cobra dominates this comparison.
Acurately, and well put.

Cobra also has the appeal of it's pertensity of being easily modded to some rediculous HP levels....

But if it were between the two, the M would be in my garage.

Quote:

I agree with you in this position.

The E46 M3's primary focus is building a car for the masses, not for the performance enthusiast. So specs like somewhat heavy weight, tendency to oversteer are overlooked for the sake of making the car more 'general public' friendly.

IMO, the CSL M3 is the true M3. A car built for performance, with very little compromise. It's truly unfortunate that it's so expensive, and will not pass N/A government standards.

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:35 AM   #14
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by tlaselva
It's truly unfortunate that it's so expensive, and will not pass N/A government standards.

Im prettysure the reason why it is not in NA is the price tag, not the government standarts.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:48 AM   #15
MorningCruiser
6th Gear Member

SickFinga, Mercedes is known world round for performance and utmost luxury. That's what I was referring to by high-class and mid-class. Yes I have sat in both an SL55 and an M3, the SL55 was far more comfortable in my mind, and put a bigger grin on my face as a passenger than an E46 or even E36 M3 as a driver (I like the E30 M3 more than the E36 M3, and the E36 M3 more than the E46, so basically I think the E30 M3 is king of the Ms).

I personally feel that the E46 M3 is BMWs sad attempt at making a performance car out of a boat. That said it needs a diet, much greater than what the CSL offers. Rip out the backseat and you might be getting closer to the weight range I speak of.

Oh, and I'll agree that the CSL isn't here because of government standards. It costs less than 911TT AWDs and GT3s, and we still have those don't we? Oh, and Ferarris and SL55s and even CL65s...

Regardless, Jammaster, acceleration is not everything from naught (Zero). You need power to have consistant acceleration once you downshift and pin it at 100km/h. The M3 lacks sufficient said power to keep up with a Cobra.

And if you care to beg that corners on the race track are taken from 0km/h, get your head checked.

Edit - Hm, three typos, one reply? Sleep needed.

Last edited by MorningCruiser; 01-14-2004 at 05:59 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: