Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
98323IS
6th Gear Member

Calling all supercharger guru's.........

I am thinking of going this route now........screw spending all the money on little bolt ons that add maybe 10hp if I am lucky. I found this kit on e-bay and need to know what you guys think. I do not know a whole lot about superchargers so once again I am asking all of you! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here is the link;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2453726541
98323IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Clem
2nd Gear Member

AA uses the Rotrex blower with excellent results.

From MY research 2 things I've garnered is that the blower unit's reliability is questionable and they are not upgradeable.
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
98323IS
6th Gear Member

Yes and I would need to somehow tune it and I have dinan software so I don't now what would happen there, plus I would need about 500US dollars more in parts.......but still that is pretty cheap.........just want to know if it's do-able
Old 01-13-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
Clem
2nd Gear Member

It is do able. ASA SKI supercharger kits use rising rate(?) fuel pressure regulators instead of software. So having software ISN'T a must but would improve the performance of the unit and your engine greatly.

FYI: AA does do custom software as well.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Why dont u swap for a 3.2L? no replacement for displacement...bolts on to an OBD1 3.2L will give u great power...keeping NA reliability! plus u will get more torque and power if u plan to go FI on that too

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:33 PM   #6
98323IS
6th Gear Member

I know I know I wish I could but the $$$ is a little too big for my pockets! I have decided not to get the supercharger after all and instead get some looks for now..........via m3 sideskirts, m3 steering wheel and (possibly, i will pm you!) some euro ellipsoids.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

how much is this SC kit installed, and TUNED? (dyno tuning is expensive) plus u need all those other parts...plus intercooler.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:57 PM   #8
98323IS
6th Gear Member

yup exactly that is why i decided not to get it...........
Old 01-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
All I'm going to say, get a twin screw blower. From what I've been told, it doesn't feel like a blown engine, it just feelis like a bigger engine.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:03 AM   #10
moerom
6th Gear Member

For all out power: centrifugal
For low end power: roots-type
For both, but big $$$: Twin-screw

A centrifugal blower (Paxton Novi, etc...) needs to spin up w/ the engine to make power, thus the boost is linear (the more revs, the more boost).

A roots-type is driven by the crank, so full boost is always a tenth of a second away. The problem is, the suffer from efficiency problems and run out of steam when you spin them hard.

A twin-screw is a variation of the roots-type, but very very efficient, and gives great low-end and good top end. Boost is instant, with an accent on higher rpm power.

The larger cubic inches the roots-type blower is, the more boost it can push (just like an engine). A centrifugal blower can be spun hard for more boost, but remember they also cost alot of $$$.

A supercharger tends to be low maintenance if they are installed properly and not pushed over their design limits.

A centrifugal supercharger makes a sound kind of link a bad alternator, and wheezes when it spins. A roots type screams like a jet engine. A twin screw sounds like a dentist's drill.

There is no right or wrong, as long as it works for your needs!
moerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:03 AM   #11
moerom
6th Gear Member

The rotrex is a centrifugal type, btw...
Old 01-14-2004, 08:01 AM   #12
Clem
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moerom
The rotrex is a centrifugal type, btw...
Actually I thought it was a hybrid a la ASA. They tend to spool faster thus providing a more linear torque curve allowing peak torque a RPMs as low as 2000-2500
Old 01-14-2004, 08:58 AM   #13
moerom
6th Gear Member

i think you're right because I made my guess solely on the blower case...
Old 01-14-2004, 09:27 AM   #14
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

don't they have a rotory vain style blower too? or are they all gear driven to spin an impeller really fast

Last edited by Slowered318; 01-14-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: