Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2004, 04:40 AM   #1
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily
 
djcontra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Scarghetto
Posts: 6,129
Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Where to buy Urethane bushings?

I need to replace a few of the bushings on my car really soon, including the flexdisc (guibo) on the driveshaft, so of course I'd like to simply upgrade to urethane ones so they'll last longer. Does anyone know of a company that makes things like this for a bmw e36?

thanks!


p.s. I guess delrin ones are alright too, but they're a bit harsher on the ride.
__________________

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)


Last edited by djcontra; 01-13-2004 at 04:43 AM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:57 AM   #2
Miguel
...Delt Smash
 
Miguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dudebridge
Posts: 10,882
OT: what does a flexdisc/guibo do exactly?

how do you know if yours is worn?
__________________
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:11 AM   #3
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca
 
M50E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
I need to replace a few of the bushings on my car really soon, including the flexdisc (guibo) on the driveshaft, so of course I'd like to simply upgrade to urethane ones so they'll last longer.
A) Replace the guibo with a genuine BMW one.

B) Never use polyurethane/delerin for a guibo because you will get massive vibration!!! Thats the reason why they are made out of rubber.

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
OT: what does a flexdisc/guibo do exactly?

how do you know if yours is worn?
A flexdisc/guibo is the rubber "doughnut" that connects your driveshaft to the transmission. And you will get vibration when it tears/breaks.
__________________
M50E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor
 
Jon@Bimmersport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 13,783
miguel..didnt u see the thing ryan gave me at his house?
__________________

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:57 PM   #5
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: austin, tx (512)
Posts: 1,365
go to this site they might have something. http://bmwbushings.com/
__________________
BMW--Because Mine Won
BMW--Built My Way-better than good
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:17 AM   #6
Miguel
...Delt Smash
 
Miguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dudebridge
Posts: 10,882
Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
A flexdisc/guibo is the rubber "doughnut" that connects your driveshaft to the transmission. And you will get vibration when it tears/breaks.
Can you be a bit more specific with the 'vibration' ???
on E34's there are no less then a bazillion things that can go wrong and cause a vibration.

Is the vibration in the front end? does it cause the shifter to vibrate wildly?
__________________
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:27 AM   #7
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca
 
M50E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
Can you be a bit more specific with the 'vibration' ???
on E34's there are no less then a bazillion things that can go wrong and cause a vibration.

Is the vibration in the front end? does it cause the shifter to vibrate wildly?
I had replaced the guibo in my '73 2002 since it had a big tear in it. So you will know if it is going. So a simple inspection while the car is on the hoist will tell you if it is or not.

Where are you getting the vibration anyways?
__________________
M50E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:34 AM   #8
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily
 
djcontra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Scarghetto
Posts: 6,129
Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
I get vibration from my guibo at speeds above 150km/h, it drones throughout the whole car and shakes the floorboards. As well, I get a nice jerk forward when I shift into gear, and a minor clicking sound in 1st and 2nd gear when engine braking which is also another sign that it's bad.
Visually though, my guibo has seen better days
__________________

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:48 AM   #9
Miguel
...Delt Smash
 
Miguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dudebridge
Posts: 10,882
Im getting vibration when I go above 75km/hr, its a common problem in E34's.

...however my shifter always seems to be vibrating... Ive had that prob sinceI've owned the car. what could be causing that?
__________________
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:53 AM   #10
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca
 
M50E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
Im getting vibration when I go above 75km/hr, its a common problem in E34's.

...however my shifter always seems to be vibrating... Ive had that prob sinceI've owned the car. what could be causing that?
Have you done the typical wheel and tire balancing? I have been told that tires have to be installed properly on a wheel (a coloured dot on the tire should line up with the valve stem hole on the wheel). But I was also told that alot of new tires are not perfectly "round" too.

Also when was the last time your shifter bushings were replaced?
__________________
M50E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:01 AM   #11
Miguel
...Delt Smash
 
Miguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dudebridge
Posts: 10,882
Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
Have you done the typical wheel and tire balancing? I have been told that tires have to be installed properly on a wheel (a coloured dot on the tire should line up with the valve stem hole on the wheel). But I was also told that alot of new tires are not perfectly "round" too.
Wheels and tires have been balanced and torqued correctly, im not sure about the dot though...

Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
Also when was the last time your shifter bushings were replaced?
No clue.. probably never... I guess Ryan (Slowered) would be the authority on this one
__________________
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:03 AM   #12
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca
 
M50E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
No clue.. probably never... I guess Ryan (Slowered) would be the authority on this one
If you put your car in gear is there any/alot of play in the shifter? If so then replace 'em!
__________________
M50E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:05 AM   #13
Miguel
...Delt Smash
 
Miguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dudebridge
Posts: 10,882
Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
If you put your car in gear is there any/alot of play in the shifter? If so then replace 'em!
hmm.. anything else I should get if Im redoing the shifter bushings?
__________________
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:08 AM   #14
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca
 
M50E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
hmm.. anything else I should get if Im redoing the shifter bushings?
I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring it down to Charlie (Bimmersport) at Chuck's Auto for a good tune up/inspection. He is the best out there and they won't empty out your pockets too!
__________________
M50E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:13 AM   #15
Miguel
...Delt Smash
 
Miguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dudebridge
Posts: 10,882
Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring it down to Charlie (Bimmersport) at Chuck's Auto for a good tune up/inspection. He is the best out there and they won't empty out your pockets too!
Mechanically the M20 is completely finished. New timing belt, v-belts, water pump, spark plugs, tune up, coolant flush/filled (with BMW coolant too!), new K&N, + a lot of other stuff that isnt coming to my mind right now.
__________________
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014