Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #16
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
Whatever you do, DO NOT get a K&N cone filter. It's been proven many, many times that the cone filter only sucks hot air in from the engine bay. Dyno results have proven time&time again that the best filter is a K&N drop-in type with the stock airbox.
Randy thats exactly what i needed to hear! I have the K/N drop in in my stock airbox and people are constantly telling me to go cone, but now i see they were wrong!!!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:23 PM   #17
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a K&N cone filter. It's been proven many, many times that the cone filter only sucks hot air in from the engine bay. Dyno results have proven time&time again that the best filter is a K&N drop-in type with the stock airbox.
Hey Randy,

I'm not saying your wrong, but when you dyno your car the car isn't moving, therefore the cone intake would suck in more hot air. While the airbox doesn't have a fresh source of air either, it is well protected from the rest of the engine bay's heat. However, when the car is moving, there is a fresh source of air and therefore would be difficult to tell which intake setup works better. The point of a cone intake is to be more free flowing and less restrictive while the car is moving. There is no doubt that the stock air box works better in heavy traffic conditions and basically any non highway driving. But on a race track, wouldn't the cone filter work better?

I've tried both setups. Infact I sold my drop-in filter to Terry. The cone filter felt slightly better, yet I could have just been distracted by the sound it made and thought my car was pulling harder when in fact it wasn't. When I tested them both in 30 degree celcius weather, no doubt the airbox w/ the drop-in filter worked much better. With the cone filter the car was torquless and bogged when trying to go from stop. However, if the temperature outside is just perfect, cool and low humidity, you really "feel" the car pull harder on those cool nights with the cone filter.

I'm not disagreeing with you. This is just a great topic to discuss for anyone who wishes to mod their cars for street or track.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 01-03-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:06 PM   #18
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Good point Bryan. The dyno tests that I mentioned where performed by my friend Sean with a '96 318ti on a dyno with a massive fan infront of the engine (if that matters). An E36 chassis has the option of using a heat sheild around the cone filter sealing up to the hood isolating it from the rest of the compartment. I think the best setup would be a true cold air system like Carbonio, but E30's don''t really have that option unless you go crazy with a sawzall and reloate the ABS system too. I custom made a heat sheild and had a ram-air snorkel right to the high-beam location which helped a bit, but I was weary about driving in the rain.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #19
jeremy
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Good point Bryan. The dyno tests that I mentioned where performed by my friend Sean with a '96 318ti on a dyno with a massive fan infront of the engine (if that matters). An E36 chassis has the option of using a heat sheild around the cone filter sealing up to the hood isolating it from the rest of the compartment. I think the best setup would be a true cold air system like Carbonio, but E30's don''t really have that option unless you go crazy with a sawzall and reloate the ABS system too. I custom made a heat sheild and had a ram-air snorkel right to the high-beam location which helped a bit, but I was weary about driving in the rain.
which airbox will fit under the hood of an e30 w/ s50 ?
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:22 PM   #20
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
which airbox will fit under the hood of an e30 w/ s50 ?
Bull nose hood with two K&N sticking out like red boogers
Old 01-03-2004, 06:23 PM   #21
jeremy
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318
Bull nose hood with two K&N sticking out like red boogers
done and done
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:17 PM   #22
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Weight reduction is definitely the way to go for the M42. I just pulled out the stock seats today and they weigh a tonne, it felt like at least 50-60lbs each!! I replaced them with Corbeau Forza seats which weigh significantly less, only 10-15lbs each max. The car pulls so much harder and the suspension felt much stiffer giving the car overall better handling. I lightened the car at least by 80lbs today which immediately could be noticed.

Put it this way. The 318 motor isn't such a bad motor; it's just underpowered for such a heavy car. Once you start to get the weight down, it really is a fantastic car to drive.

Weight reduction all the way!

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:20 AM   #23
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

Here's something that hasn't been posted yet. Switch out the (15 amp brown) fuel delivery fuse (9) in your fuse box for a higher rated one.

NOTE: This is a little dangerous. Bentley Service Manual for the E30 BMWs reports that swapping a smaller fuse for a larger one could result in fire.

But, when I bought my car it had the yellow 25 amp fuse already in it, which I later swapped out for the 15 blue because that's what the Bentley manual states it is suppose to be. After feeling a lack of power and acceleration I swapped the 15 for 25 on Sunday and the throttle feels more responsesive.

I'm not sure if this does anything bad to the electrical sys., but I have noticed a slight change in fule economy. My car is an '84 and yours is a '90 so the fuses may differ.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:05 AM   #24
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Even though we didn't really race properly from a stand still, I seem to remember pulling ahead of you nonetheless

Sounds like a rematch is in order.

Bry
From a standstill he should be kicking your ass stock for stock anyways. He has literally hundreds of pounds on you. If you pull on him at all it's a sign of solid power gains.

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:45 AM   #25
tuNED318
///M Testing Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeRunner
Here's something that hasn't been posted yet. Switch out the (15 amp brown) fuel delivery fuse (9) in your fuse box for a higher rated one.

NOTE: This is a little dangerous. Bentley Service Manual for the E30 BMWs reports that swapping a smaller fuse for a larger one could result in fire.

But, when I bought my car it had the yellow 25 amp fuse already in it, which I later swapped out for the 15 blue because that's what the Bentley manual states it is suppose to be. After feeling a lack of power and acceleration I swapped the 15 for 25 on Sunday and the throttle feels more responsesive.

I'm not sure if this does anything bad to the electrical sys., but I have noticed a slight change in fule economy. My car is an '84 and yours is a '90 so the fuses may differ.
anyone can confirm this?

I might do it if it gives more power

BladeRunner: About the fuel economy, is it better or worst? Any problem cause by the mod yet?

Last edited by tuNED318; 01-09-2004 at 03:48 AM.
tuNED318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:50 AM   #26
tuNED318
///M Testing Engineer

ADD: any MODERATOR can make this thread sticky, please? I'm sure most of 318's owner will find it usefull
Old 01-09-2004, 05:46 AM   #27
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Here's some very useful information in a thread we started on Bimmerforums. It's all about the modified M42 AKA the BTCC race S42 motor.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...5&pagenumber=1

You should find it very useful...

Bryan

Old 01-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #28
SickFinga

Quote:

hmmm I got heat shield, and it works.
we compared temperature (by touching ) on my car vs openwheels car (no heat shield) and what a difference.
and c'mon the sound of the intake is just amazing
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:12 PM   #29
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

BladeRunner: About the fuel economy, is it better or worst? Any problem cause by the mod yet?

----

I shall fill her up today and see if there is any change in fuel economy. Useually within a week to week+half I'm at 1/4 tank. So I'll see.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:15 PM   #30
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

I would reckon and change in fuel dilvery would decrease fuel economy, but don't hold me to that. I've always said the stock fuel pressure/delivery was poor, especially under hard acceleration my car (5 speed manual trans.) would accel. bog, accel. bog, accel. bog, then revvvvvvv off we go into what evers next usually 3rd.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: