Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
objec
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to objec
1987 e30 325e start up problem? need help!

1987 e30 325e start up problem? need help!

my car usually starts, now that it has been getting cold, and when i go to start it sometimes, it wont. so ill the put the key in and turn, the engine cranks and sound like its going to start, but it wont. so i let it sit for an average of 6 to 12 hours then try again. every time after letting it sit, it starts right up like it normally does. can anyone help me or have suggestions?
objec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 12:04 AM   #2
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

check the cold start sensor/injector...it could be just dumping too much fuel and fluding it...then when you let it sit it will start up normal...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 12:48 AM   #3
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Had the same problems, replaced the distributor cap and rotor and 6 new spark plugs and now it runs great.......
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 01:09 AM   #4
Bob bimmer
2nd Gear Member

yeah go with what Eurostyle suggested but I wouldn't worry about it being your distributor cap or plugs because it wouldn't do that, and if none of thoese work then have you o2 sensor changed and get your fuel pump checked, it may not be the fuel pump but the assembley to it may be getting fried
Old 12-25-2003, 01:44 AM   #5
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob bimmer
yeah go with what Eurostyle suggested but I wouldn't worry about it being your distributor cap or plugs because it wouldn't do that, and if none of thoese work then have you o2 sensor changed and get your fuel pump checked, it may not be the fuel pump but the assembley to it may be getting fried
WTF? I had this problem and replaced these items and the problem went away, I already had my fuel pump replaced.
How does starting a car not have anything to do with the cap and rotor and plugs

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 06:24 AM   #6
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW_M52_M20
WTF? I had this problem and replaced these items and the problem went away, I already had my fuel pump replaced.
How does starting a car not have anything to do with the cap and rotor and plugs
Did you do the work yourself or was it done at a shop? Because a LOT of the time shops will fix a small problem by replacing random parts and charging you for it!!! Just a few months ago my friend had problems with his Golf VR6, we couldnt find the problem for 2 days, he went to a general mechanic shop...they couldnt find the problem after 5 hours of work (my friend was there all along), then the next day he sends the car to the shop that did the engine swap (VR6) in the first place; in about 1 hour the car was fixed, long list of parts "replaced" (distributor, coil, etc...) and it they charged him $500!!! When i came back from europe a month later i checked the distributor and it was NOT replaced, but it was a bit too late to do anything...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 04:12 PM   #7
objec
2nd Gear Member

how do i know if its to much fuel, u took off thr thr air filter and there was some dripping out of thr maf, so it coold be getting to much fuel, then that means the cold start is working, just thr sensor mught be ****ed up.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:13 PM   #8
objec
2nd Gear Member

sorry for the spelling, im missing some keys
Old 12-26-2003, 12:49 AM   #9
Bob bimmer
2nd Gear Member

Hey man I don't mean to come out sounding like a dick I just know how these things work thats all. See my mechanic and I are good buddies and I also work at NAPA so with his know how on repairs and mine on cost of parts I know what goes on. See in this situation its most likely gonna be the cold start sensor like Eurostyle suggested or the coolant sensor (possibley fuel pump related but their not as unreliable as a sensor in winter). See for you mechanic to change your sensor would be dumb for him because it would cost him more money than it would cost you. One of thoese sensors goes for about 26$ (jobber confidential price) then theres you mechanics mark up and about 5 minutes installation for him, so see hes really not making much off of that. So what he is gonna do is tell you its you cap and/or plugs because they are more costly and time consuming to install so he will make a larger profit out of them. Now hes only doing this because its a ignition related problem, but in this situation its not what needs to be fixed so he just adds to the job to make more profit and at the same time saves you trouble down the road. So getting your cap and plugs changed was a good idea but it wasn't the problem but at least now you don't have to worry about it for at least 70,000km. Once again sorry if I sounded like an ass its just this is how it works buddy but Merry Christmas and happy new year too.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:54 AM   #10
Bob bimmer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by objec
how do i know if its to much fuel, u took off thr thr air filter and there was some dripping out of thr maf, so it coold be getting to much fuel, then that means the cold start is working, just thr sensor mught be ****ed up.
Hey you were saying you took off the air filter and you were getting a fuel leak from your MAF sensor? THAT SHOULD NOT BE HAPPING, the MAF is air not fuel there should be NO fuel comming from there. Have that lookedat if you see fuel comming from there because that is a problem.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:48 AM   #11
objec
2nd Gear Member

,i think if was from the coold start spraying all the time when i try to start it, over and over. ............ . so i got new thremo time switch (temp sensor) and it did not start tonight, it might be the cold or it might not, my fuel injectors have never been replaced, pretty sure i need a new feul filter, not sure if my fuel regulator is correct cause i got it off ebay, its a adjustable one, the presure dropps to 0 as soon as the car is turned off, so on start up it has no presure, mayy thats it i dont know, but im just going to keep trying things me self , if any one has any ideas , i'd love to hear them.

thanks
Old 12-27-2003, 02:12 AM   #12
objec
2nd Gear Member

and whats going on with you bimer bob, why are you explaning your self, i dont remember being afended by reading this thread in any way. i dont care where you work, nor probley does anyone eles. you "work at napa" wow, dude hook me up with a job, yeah right. all you did is repeat eurostyle, by the way thanks euro, your advise was the only thing worth reading on the page.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: