Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How many think 17s are too small
What you talkin bout 17s are still da bomb 29 49.15%
18s no smaller no bigger 14 23.73%
If you can't stuff 19s on her go home son 10 16.95%
I'm still pimpin 15s 6 10.17%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2003, 10:15 PM   #31
SickFinga

19"? deep dish? e36 ?

keep dreaming

unless you go widebody
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:29 PM   #32
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
Mitch...E46 on 20s? thats pushin it..lol...
Actually let me re-phrase my sentence.

Some 20z actually look damn good on the E46 but 19z look very nice as well. Only if the 19z actually look like 19z though.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:34 PM   #33
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
But there are some downsides with 18 and 19.

1. Rubbing issues
If you properly lower the car, get the right offset rim, the right width rim, the right tire size, annnnnd roll the fenders you should be worry free of any rubbing. Even ask Jon when we went airborn on the Autumn cruise. My car didn't rub at all when we landed.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2003, 10:43 PM   #34
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Mitch555
If you properly lower the car, get the right offset rim, the right width rim, the right tire size, annnnnd roll the fenders you should be worry free of any rubbing. Even ask Jon when we went airborn on the Autumn cruise. My car didn't rub at all when we landed.
Yeah, and what tire width are you running? 225?

Remember, I can properly lower my car, and still have rubbing issues, there are so many variables. There are people out there with the tires rubbing on the insides of the fenders and/or muffler. Not all rubbing issues are on the fender lip.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It痴 habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I知 Nelson, and I知 a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:03 PM   #35
SickFinga

Quote:
yes i know, but how many 19" rims do not require any fender work? not a lot.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:30 PM   #36
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Yeah, and what tire width are you running? 225?

Remember, I can properly lower my car, and still have rubbing issues, there are so many variables. There are people out there with the tires rubbing on the insides of the fenders and/or muffler. Not all rubbing issues are on the fender lip.
Yeap! I'm runnin' 225's. I wasn't looking at only fender rubbing. I took everything into account. I'm running 19 x 8.5 and I barely rub on the insides of the fenders when I have my wheels turned to the max. Even if they lightly rub (Almost never) they still don't do any damage to anything. I never ever have to turn my wheel to the max, not even to park in a tight spot. So itz all good.

I did my homework b4 I bought my rims.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2003, 11:33 PM   #37
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
yes i know, but how many 19" rims do not require any fender work? not a lot.
Very true.

But.... If you want to get the proper fitment you have to look at all the aspects that I mentioned above, even fender rolling.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2003, 11:53 PM   #38
thinair
moderationistismingly

Like I said before, my car did have 19's previously, the car was lowered 2" in the rear, the rim was 9" wide, the tire was 235/40/19, -2.5コ camber, and my fenders were rolled. The tires didn't rub the fender lip at all, it rubbed where the stock rear fender flair ends (1.5" above the fender lip). There is no doubt in my mind that I could have had those wheels rub-free if there was 5-7mm more offset.

I almost decided to keep the rims but I didn't want to risk the rim's integrity by machining down the hub mating surface 5-7mm.

That said, for how I use my car, I'm more then happy with the 17's I have now and have no regrets.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It痴 habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I知 Nelson, and I知 a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 12-22-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:03 AM   #39
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Like I said before, my car did have 19's previously, the car was lowered 2" in the rear, the rim was 9" wide, the tire was 235/40/19, -2.5コ camber, and my fenders were rolled. The tires didn't rub the fender lip at all, it rubbed where the stock rear fender flair ends (1.5" above the fender lip). There is no doubt in my mind that I could have had those wheels rub-free if there was 5-7mm more offset.

I almost decided to keep the rims but I didn't want to risk the rim's integrity by machining down the hub mating surface 5-7mm.

That said, for how I use my car, I'm more then happy with the 17's I have now and have no regrets.
These were your four problems:

1. 9 inch wide rim
2. 235 tires
3. 40 series tires
4. The area where the stock rear fender flair ended needed to be shaved on the inside.

Were your old rims Altstadt's or Ace Wheels?

Quote:
Old 12-23-2003, 01:23 AM   #40
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
These were your four problems:

1. 9 inch wide rim
2. 235 tires
3. 40 series tires
4. The area where the stock rear fender flair ended needed to be shaved on the inside.

Were your old rims Altstadt's or Ace Wheels?
oops, I meant 235/35/19, my current tires are 40 series.
How do you shave the inside of the fender flair?

And they were Altstadt.

And like I said, the only reason why they didn't fit was the offset. Nothing else prevented them from fitting.

I removed the rear rotors and rear springs once and mounted the wheels (to increase the offset, and to see how far up the wheels would go before they rubbed), they fit fine, no rubbing on the outside or inside unless I really tucked the wheel far into the fender, and the rubbed the inside of the fender.

Last edited by thinair; 12-23-2003 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:18 AM   #41
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
oops, I meant 235/35/19, my current tires are 40 series.
How do you shave the inside of the fender flair?

And they were Altstadt.

And like I said, the only reason why they didn't fit was the offset. Nothing else prevented them from fitting.

I removed the rear rotors and rear springs once and mounted the wheels (to increase the offset, and to see how far up the wheels would go before they rubbed), they fit fine, no rubbing on the outside or inside unless I really tucked the wheel far into the fender, and the rubbed the inside of the fender.
Shave it flat behind this area (flatten it out and even cut away some bumper on the inside to fit the wheels):

It did the trick for my rubbing problems!

I'll show ya next summer if your at a meet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw7825.jpg (54.1 KB, 29 views)

Quote:
Old 12-23-2003, 04:25 AM   #42
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
u mean Keven? lol..

it isnt late and u still messed up Nelson!

dude, 18s are perfect for E30 and E36 IMO..19s are only good for E46, Mitch...E46 on 20s? thats pushin it..lol...

R_JAY..which rims were you considering for the 18s, and 19s? instead of asking sizes..post pics of the rim..since, it all does come down to the rim right? I think your car with some BBS RC will look SICK like Mogie's ride...or even his RS-GT..which are 18s but look tiny, and his RC are 18" too but look like 19"
I don't really have any rims in mind yet but I think i'm definitely gonna be changing.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:33 AM   #43
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

well u also gotta consider how low u wanan go and if u go 18's hpw high yr car will be with stock skirts etc. i wanna go 18's but i wil have too slam it and get a front lip to look decent
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:33 AM   #44
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

well u also gotta consider how low u wanan go and if u go 18's hpw high yr car will be with stock skirts etc. i wanna go 18's but i wil have too slam it and get a front lip to look decent
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:38 AM   #45
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

M parrallels will look pretty sick Rich! esp if u get a lip on the bumper

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: