Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-21-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
slikk
1st Gear Newbie

Question Should I get JL Stealthboxes??

Hey guys I'm looking at doing an audio upgrade and I'm wondering if I should go with the JL stealthboxes... I'm looking for some more base really. The block doesn't need to hear me but I want something I can feel. Has anyone had any experiences with these? Easy to install? Is it worth it? I don't even know where I can get them or how mcuh they'd cost? I'm guessing I need an amp...? Any info would be much appreciated. TIA
slikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
slikk
1st Gear Newbie

anyone?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:40 PM   #3
app
5th Gear Member

They sure save trunk space. Never heard them though. I find if you want to *feel* the bass, everyone is gonna hear it unless you dynamat your car.

Guess it depends on your definition of "feel" too. Could be a minor thump, or to the point that you feel it through-out your chest and your nose hairs vibrate.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:02 AM   #4
slikk
1st Gear Newbie

hahah no nose hair vibration thanks... but by feel i just want a little more thump.. i heard these are a pretty good way to go but I don't know how much they cost and/or if they're worth it...
Old 12-23-2003, 02:54 AM   #5
app
5th Gear Member

Honestly, for what you're probably looking for, get a decent amp and one 10" sub with a sealed box. Get something quality, and I think you'll be pretty happy.

I think the stealth boxes only held 8" didn't they?
Old 12-23-2003, 03:01 AM   #6
slikk
1st Gear Newbie

yeah, they're 8's mounted into the rear deck (in place of the speakers)

i was thinknig about getting one sub, but I read somewhere that because I don't have the folding down seats, the effect would be significantly reduced, in terms of the sound that enters the cabin, thats why i considered the stealths...
Old 12-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #7
app
5th Gear Member

I thought the same thing about the sound being reduced. I have the same system that I had in my nissan (2 12"s) and it's still the same volume/intensity in the closed trunk. No noticeable change at all.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:01 PM   #8
slikk
1st Gear Newbie

Alright thanks man... I think I'm gonna look into this thing.. time in to call in favours from my firends at future shop muahahaha...
Old 01-01-2004, 07:32 PM   #9
audiophile
3rd Gear Member

i have a coupe with the fold down seats [an e36] and i notice they block out a TON of bass. it's incredible. i'm looking at ways around it, maybe free-airs in the rear deck.
sold the e34.
lookin for an e36
audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 07:38 PM   #10
slikk
1st Gear Newbie

^^ yeah that's what I've heard to, hence my initial inquiry.. I think these JL's are exactly what you're describing (free-airs in rear deck). But in your situation you at least have the fold down seats, I don't have them and from what I've heard it makes things worse... if you come across anything good keep us posted!
Old 01-01-2004, 09:37 PM   #11
Alwysfresh

I'm really interested in the stealthboxes also...I looked into them but they're really steep...like $800. That's too much in my opinion. I'd really like to hear how they sound though...I'd really like to save the room in my trunck and get rid of my box. When I get some cash together I'm going to buy the JL 8's and try making them...they don't look too complicated.
Alwysfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #12
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

if you have a closed trunk.. you aim the sub towards the back of the car and push it up againt the back of the seat. this actually amplifies the low freqencys.

Sub Bass is omnidirectional, that means you can't hear where it's coming from and sound refects off surfaces very well.. so faceing the sub backwards forces it to refect and channel back to the cabin of the car

It's very important to have a large volume of space in front of the speaker.. or it will sound muted cause the sound waves have nowhere to go

Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #13
slikk
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the 411 slowered318. Any suggestions on a setup? By the looks of it me and Alwysfresh are in the same boat... looking for something that'll increase bass but isn't extremely costly and won't take over the trunk...
Old 01-02-2004, 05:15 AM   #14
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

contact these guys www.perfect-tones.com best boom for your buck.. lots of experience making cars loud!
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: