Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-26-2003, 08:32 PM   #46
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Mystikal,

I hope your comparing Bilstein Sports with Koni Adjustables. Because Bilstein heavy duty's are often mistaken for Bilsteins top line of dampers.

Bilstein only makes the "Sport" damper for a small selection of automobiles. If you look at Bilstein's catalog, all or most Japanese imported cars only have Heavy Duty dampers available and not the Sport. Heavy Duty is best for stock or slightly lower springs, which is what the quotes you provided suggested. Could this be the one you're talking about? In this case, most owners of Japanese imports will definitely choose Koni over Bilstein as they have the sportier and stiffer shocks. For E36, I have heard nothing good about the KONI dampers, but only good things about Bilstein Sport. Some people on BMWPlanet a while back even complained that the KONI's were too stiff for street use, and that the shock travel was too short so they were bottoming out. Bilstein recommends you do not use HD dampers for lowered springs, therefore if E30 owners only have the "HD" dampers availble to them, it would explain why they blow in less than a year.

Bilstein Sport/Heavy duty shocks have been used on BMW's for many years. I think your letting your obsession with slamming your car get to you. It's a good thing to lower your car a little for the street. But if it's not a full out race car I don't see the point. Lowering the car too much puts A LOT of stress on the chassis and suspension components.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 12-26-2003 at 08:38 PM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:33 PM   #47
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Mystikal,

I hope your comparing Bilstein Sports with Koni Adjustables. Because Bilstein heavy duty's are often mistaken for Bilsteins top line of dampers.

Bilstein only makes the "Sport" damper for a small selection of automobiles. If you look at Bilstein's catalog, all or most Japanese imported cars only have Heavy Duty dampers available and not the Sport. Heavy Duty is best for stock or slightly lower springs, which is what the quotes you provided suggested. Could this be the one you're talking about? In this case, most owners of Japanese imports will definitely choose Koni over Bilstein as they have the sportier and stiffer shocks. For E36, I have heard nothing good about the KONI dampers, but only good things about Bilstein Sport. Some people on BMWPlanet a while back even complained that the KONI's were too stiff for street use, and that the shock travel was too short so they were bottoming out.
I am fully aware of the difference between HD and Sport models.

Quote:
Bilstein recommends you do not use HD dampers for lowered springs, therefore if E30 owners only have the "HD" dampers availble to them, it would explain why they blow in less than a year.
They are both available for the E30. The Sport is much more popular, and the one I am referring to in my posts.

Quote:
I think your letting your obsession with slamming your car get to you.
Who said anything about my car? The point of the thread is tips for Jon, and if you have seen his car (and I know you have), it's tucking all 4 tires. Because of his needs, I'm telling him that Koni's are best suited for him.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:33 PM   #48
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal

Who said anything about my car? The point of the thread is tips for Jon, and if you have seen his car (and I know you have), it's tucking all 4 tires. Because of his needs, I'm telling him that Koni's are best suited for him.
I said that because you said any E30 with good springs stiffer or lower than Eibachs shouldn't use Bilsteins, and you said for that reason Bilsteins are no good for E30s. Which would suggest that you think Eibach's aren't good springs and that only springs that lower your car more or are stiffer than Eibachs are good. My point was that lowering your car too much isn't appropriate for street use, therefore, Bilstein's work just fine w/ street/track setup. If you want to use "race" springs, use race dampers like Koni.

I know this thread is about Jon's car. However, I'm not convinced that KONI makes better dampers for lowered springs than Bilstein does.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 12-26-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:01 AM   #49
NickP

e46lover - What spring rates are you running on the OBX's?
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:05 AM   #50
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by NickP
e46lover - What spring rates are you running on the OBX's?
i am not sure, i got them off of M50E30..so he would know i guess?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:14 AM   #51
ROBM3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROBM3
The obx spring rates are like 150-200lbs I'm guessing.
ROBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 03:27 AM   #52
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
i am not sure, i got them off of M50E30..so he would know i guess?
Not a clue little buddy. I will be going to FK Konigsport coilovers and have them set up properly for each event (BMWCCC @ Mosport, AutoX, and street).
Old 12-27-2003, 03:45 AM   #53
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

autox? so i guess ill be seeing u this spring at the autox's?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 12-27-2003, 04:20 AM   #54
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
autox? so i guess ill be seeing u this spring at the autox's?
Depends on how much of a deposit I have for the house come spring time. If I can afford to keep the E30 and a house then I will be there with bells on!

Old 12-27-2003, 04:22 AM   #55
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
Depends on how much of a deposit I have for the house come spring time. If I can afford to keep the E30 and a house then I will be there with bells on!

awesome..ill be there too..without the bells though

im going to get the car raised a bit (since my stupid bro cant even drive a lowered car) and corner weighed...then ill post up if i still got a problem

Old 12-27-2003, 07:21 AM   #56
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

i believe the spring rates on the OBX are 275lbs and 350lbs.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 11:47 PM   #57
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Quote:
alignment in the summer when i got a new steering rack...the shocks were put in this spring
My steering has always been loose, not at all like the e36, I thought the new steering rack would tighten it up?
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #58
aaron_silva
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
i believe the spring rates on the OBX are 275lbs and 350lbs.
That is very, very soft.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:55 AM   #59
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by aaron_silva
That is very, very soft.
i was told it is just a bit off from the normal GC rates...

they are nice for now, once i add all the rest of the suspension components and still want a stiffer spring (useless for street use) then i can just swap springs..i dont need to buy expensive ground controls for no reason.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: