Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-25-2003, 10:41 PM   #31
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
Just say no to Bilsteins on any E30 with good springs. With how low his car is, they would blow within a year.

Koni SA.
That has to be the dumbest thing I have heard on this board in awhile. Bilstien Sports are the best. I had Tokico's on all corners and the rears blew within 6 months.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:43 PM   #32
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
That has to be the dumbest thing I have heard on this board in awhile. Bilstien Sports are the best. I had Tokico's on all corners and the rears blew within 6 months.
Thank you Dave!

Like I said, if you blow your bilstein's in less than a year, you've got some serious problems with your driving habbits or your car.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 01:56 AM   #33
ROBM3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROBM3
Bilstein makes awesome shocks and last a very long time !
You must revalve the "sport" shocks in order to match your spring rates ! Thats all.
They did not "bottom-out" at all when I had them . If you are not competing or racing the e30's, why worry so much. ?
Like I said,
sway bars,strut bars, poly bushings, quality coilover kit, and you'll get a great handling road e30.
ROBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 03:50 AM   #34
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Rob, your car was bottoming out badly.... I don't care how much revalving you had done. Remember that BimmerCruize video (Part-2) when you were driving down the 427? Your E30 was bouncing up and down worse than a $2 ho!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 06:30 AM   #35
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Jon,

Do you get any vibrations while driving?

Dave

My steering occasionally vibrates once 70+MPH is reached...very scary might I add.
-------------
Seems like all E30s suffer from many similar problems, but that's just wear and tear.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:13 PM   #36
ROBM3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROBM3
Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
Rob, your car was bottoming out badly.... I don't care how much revalving you had done. Remember that BimmerCruize video (Part-2) when you were driving down the 427? Your E30 was bouncing up and down worse than a $2 ho!
Hey smartass, When that video was done, I only had the normal Bilstein sports on the car...
I later had the shocks revalved at Turner motorsports to match my aggressive spring rates (500 lbs front, 750 lbs rear)

Check out This video. The car had the new shocks ...
ROBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 02:29 PM   #37
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeRunner
My steering occasionally vibrates once 70+MPH is reached...very scary might I add.
Get your first off get your wheels and tires properly ballanced, then get ball joints/tie rods checked and also the u-joint in the steering could also be on the way out.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:36 PM   #38
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Well I drive my car on the street a lot. Race springs wouldn't seem too practical for my car. My Eibach pro kits are as stiff and as low as I want to go.

I actually heard the opposite, that Koni's are usually meant for track use and not street because they do not have as much rebound and bottom out. I don't know about E30's, but 90% of E36 owners I know who have lowered suspension are using Bilstein dampers. They seem to work just fine for us. Remember that most of us still drive our bimmers on the street, auto-x and track performance doesn't count. You have to comprimise.

My friend has 180,000km's on his '92 325 and has been using the same Bilstein shocks on his H&R stage II springs for 11-12 years. None of them have blown. Not to say that KONI's aren't great shocks too. I just don't see the problem with Bilsteins.

Jon,

Once you lower your car you HAVE to do an alinment. I waited too long to do mine after I lowered my car and messed up my tire patches completely. I regret not doing it sooner.

Doing dounuts also completely messes up your alinment, not to mention almost everything else. Try not to do it too often.

Bry
Well, I can't really argue with you, since I'm talking about E30 Sport models. Bilstein is an amazing company but their E30 line just needs some rethinking.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:40 PM   #39
Mystikal

Quote:
That has to be the dumbest thing I have heard on this board in awhile. Bilstien Sports are the best.
Have you had Konis? I have not seen one person who has had expereince with both say that the Bilsteins are more suited to lowering springs.

When Ground Control points it out on their site, for the world to see, that the Bilsteins have a bottoming out problem and that they are not shorter than stock shocks when compressed, you know it's fact.

Please, if you really want to know more detailed information about E30 suspension don't search on maX. Do a search on Bimmerforums and check out all the comments on Bilstein vs. Koni.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:03 PM   #40
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
When Ground Control points it out on their site, for the world to see, that the Bilsteins have a bottoming out problem and that they are not shorter than stock shocks when compressed, you know it's fact.
If Koni posted on thier site to jump off the CN Tower I guess you would be the first one to go.

Anyways. I have had Tokico and Bilstien on my E30 and the Bilstiens are far superior in quality and ride. And I haven't heard anything good about Koni from alot of BMW guys to support that they are better than Bilstien.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #41
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
I like my blistiens but then again I have eibachs so...

Just a question regarding Jons car. When you jack up a car with coilovers are the springs supposed to unseat? I found that a little bit weird when Jon was patching his oil pan in my garage.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 03:21 PM   #42
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
When you jack up a car with coilovers are the springs supposed to unseat? I found that a little bit weird when Jon was patching his oil pan in my garage.
Any spring that lowers your car by a considerable amount will do that since the spring is physically shorter than your stock springs. So make shure that your springs are reseated properly when you put your car back down!
Old 12-26-2003, 03:24 PM   #43
Mystikal

Okay, here are some quotes from reputable members of the E30 community:

Quote:
I've used Bilsteins with all of my various spring setups. They work best with stock springs and are ok with sport/lowering springs such as H&R Sports or Eibach Prokits because they have good compression damping, but they don't have nearly enough rebound damping to contro the rebound of stiff race springs, especially on the rear. BTDT.

Koni Single Adjustables are a *huge* improvement over Bilsteins when you're using stiff racing springs. My car now settles immediately over bumps and is especially noticeable on the highways and freeways at moderate to high speeds.

You can have Bilsteins revalved with a lot more rebound damping (i did this once) but for the money you can get Konis which still do a better job, with the added benefit of being adjustable. I adjust my shocks a lot and i can never again do without this ability.
Quote:
Konis have a lot of rebound damping so they somewhat mimic the effect of a larger swaybar (controls shock extension so the inside of the car doesn't lift as much in a corner). Bilstein Sports/HDs don't have nearly enough rebound damping to control stiff springs and they also don't inhibit body lean like the Konis do on the stiffer settings.
Quote:
I had Bilstein Sports with H&R Sports and the shocks were barely able to control the rebound. When i went to the Ground Control setup the Bilsteins severe lack of rebound damping made it impossible for them to control the stored energy of the stiff GC springs (450 fr & 600 rear) especially at the rear. Bilsteins Sports and HDs are good with stock springs or other soft springs because such springs don't have a lot of stored energy after compression, but they don't work well with stiffer springs unless you have them revalved with a lot more rebound damping.

I recommend Koni adjustables for stiff springs because they have WAY more rebound damping than Bilsteins and that rebound is adjustable so you can fine tune them to a wide range of spring rates.
Quote:
Bilsteins act much differently than Konis. Bilsteins have a lot of compression damping but have hardly any rebound damping. They're hard to compress but very easy to pull apart - actually if you compress them and lay em on a table they'll expand all on their own until they reach full length. This action works well with stock springs - the compression damping helps add to the car's stock spring rate so the car doesn't dip as much when it hits a shallow dip (as an example) so the springs don't compress as much as they did with stock shocks. Also, the low spring rate of stock springs means they don't rebound as hard so they don't put much demand on rebound action of the shock. For this reason the Bilstein is well suited to the stock springs.

Now with Stiffer lowering springs things change, these springs have a much higher spring rate so they don't need the help of the Bilsteins' stiff compression damping - the stiff springs are doing more to keep the car from dipping on that same shallow dip, not the shocks. But these stiffer springs bounce the car upward a lot harder after they've compressed (like a pogo stick effect) and since the Bilsteins have almost no rebound damping they can't harness the stored energy of the rebounding springs so the car bounces upward with nothing to stop it's motion. Then when the springs have fully extended the weight of the car pushes down again and the stiff springs bounce the car upward again. This is really bad on the rear of an E30 with stiff springs so you need shocks with a lot of rebound damping, and the Koni has lots of rebound damping.

So, Bilsteins work well with stock springs, but aren't enough for stiff springs. I tried them with M3 springs, H&R Sports, H&R OE Sports, then finally with stiff Ground Control race springs. As i went stiffer and stiff with the spring rates, the Bilsteins became more and more useless. Once i installed shocks with a lot of adjustable rebound damping the suspension is much more controlled and settles immediately both on the highway and autocross course.

I went through the same development with my former kick-ass 85 Golf GTi canyon/track/autocross car and once again the Koni adjustables workedway better than the Bilsteins. I'd only use Bilsteins with stock springs, but with anything stiffer than stock i'd do with the Konis.
This is where I get my info from.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:25 PM   #44
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Ok just makin sure, I had never jacked up (or even seen) an e30 with coilovers. I hope it seated right. It made a loud pop. Speaking of Jons drain plug is a triangle...

Ok I'm done snaking his thread.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 05:22 PM   #45
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Ok just makin sure, I had never jacked up (or even seen) an e30 with coilovers. I hope it seated right. It made a loud pop. Speaking of Jons drain plug is a triangle...

Ok I'm done snaking his thread.
i feel like just taking it out so i can take a pic! haahaha..i really should get a new one for the new oil change..

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: