Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-24-2003, 08:54 AM   #16
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Jon,

Do you get any vibrations while driving?

Dave
Old 12-24-2003, 01:39 PM   #17
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
Jon,

Do you get any vibrations while driving?

Dave
not really...the ride is nice and firm

it aint the steering rack to anyone who thinks so..cuz i got a new one in the summer...

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:39 AM   #18
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
not really...the ride is nice and firm

it aint the steering rack to anyone who thinks so..cuz i got a new one in the summer...
There is a universal joint in the steering that could cause problems. I think they can be replaced seperatly.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:10 PM   #19
ROBM3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROBM3
Jon, your e30 is not tight at all.(i drove it in yorkdale parking lot)

to solve your problem, you need to spend alotta money which you dont have.

such as sway bars, strut bars, polyurethane bushings, and most of all a quality coilover kit ...ie Ground control.And if you have some money left over, slap in a rollcage.

That will solve the problem.......
ROBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 02:40 PM   #20
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by ROBM3
Jon, your e30 is not tight at all.(i drove it in yorkdale parking lot)

to solve your problem, you need to spend alotta money which you dont have.

such as sway bars, strut bars, polyurethane bushings, and most of all a quality coilover kit ...ie Ground control.And if you have some money left over, slap in a rollcage.

That will solve the problem.......
lol..i already thought of that dingus. Since you make so many sales at honda ...maybe u can buy me some sways for xmas

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 12-25-2003, 02:57 PM   #21
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
lol..i already thought of that dingus. Since you make so many sales at honda ...maybe u can buy me some sways for xmas
Jon,

I wouldn't take advice from a guy who sells an E30 M3 to buy a CRX. Look at getting Powerflex polyurethane bushings (front and rear complete kits), FK Konigsport coilovers, and Suspension Techniques swaybars (22mm front bar and 19mm adjustable rear bar). I know you are tight for coin but save up and don't impulse buy little things you don't need.

Good luck little buddy,
Dave

Powerflex Bushings

Suspension Techniques swaybars

FK Konigsport fully adjustable coilovers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fkkonigsport.jpg (69.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-25-2003, 09:15 PM   #22
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Why did you buy Tokico shocks?

I was talking to someone who races his RX-7 on the track and tells me they last him the season then they are shot.

Save up and buy Bilsteins, I'm sure Tokico doesn't have a life time warranty either.

It's a safe bet that your car feels loose because of all the rubber bushings. You should replace them with Urethane, not derlin to get a firm ride.

Rob,

Sway bars don't affect straight line speed, only lateral.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:19 PM   #23
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Save up and buy Bilsteins, I'm sure Tokico doesn't have a life time warranty either.
Just say no to Bilsteins on any E30 with good springs. With how low his car is, they would blow within a year.

Koni SA.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:31 PM   #24
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
Just say no to Bilsteins on any E30 with good springs. With how low his car is, they would blow within a year.

Koni SA.
Then there must be something serioulsy wrong with the way his car is setup.

My friend's E30 had Bilsteins for more than 5 years and they are properly lowered.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 12-25-2003, 09:38 PM   #25
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

okay, I'll finally put an end to this discussion. You don't need swaybars, coilovers or bushings Jon.... it's very, very easy.

YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT

you never had an alignment after the OBX were installed and that makes A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. On top of that, coilovers are probably the easiest big mistake the average person adds to their ride if they are not set up properly (corner weighed). It's just like cutting all 4 springs... every spring is supporting their corner of the car at a different rate (you can't get away with counting the number of threads on the coilover body!).

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:40 PM   #26
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Then there must be something serioulsy wrong with the way his car is setup.

My friend's E30 had Bilsteins for more than 5 years and they are properly lowered.

Bry
It is well known within the E30 community that with anything stronger than the Eibach Pro-Kits, they do not have enough rebound, and are simply NOT short enough when compressed. For this reason, check out what GC says: "Bilstein is not recommended because of the bottoming out problem. Bilstein Sports are NOT shorter than stock shocks or Konis when compressed." This is just with their spring/perch setup, obviously not a full coil-over.

Every single review I have seen of someone going from Bilstein Sport's to Koni Yellows is glowing. There is a very successful auto-xer by the name of Randy Walters out in California, most people in the E30 world know of him. He has tried just about every possible suspension setup, and he has repeatedly said that the Bilsteins just get worse and worse as you get stiffer and lower springs. It's not too noticeable with the Eibach's, but with H&R Sport or anything stiffer, they are not up to the task.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:53 PM   #27
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
okay, I'll finally put an end to this discussion. You don't need swaybars, coilovers or bushings Jon.... it's very, very easy.

YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT

you never had an alignment after the OBX were installed and that makes A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. On top of that, coilovers are probably the easiest big mistake the average person adds to their ride if they are not set up properly (corner weighed). It's just like cutting all 4 springs... every spring is supporting their corner of the car at a different rate (you can't get away with counting the number of threads on the coilover body!).
So what do i do to "properly" set it up? do u mean just make sure they are all even?...u know i aint the "average person" anyway lol.

Bry, i didnt buy the shocks..it came with the car.

Mystikal, so...keeping my car as low as it is...Koni shocks are best? I dont know..right now my car is as low as Randy's was and he had bilstein sports...i dont think he bottomed out..but im not sure, Randy shed some light on this...since you already know what i wanna do anyway.

Old 12-25-2003, 09:59 PM   #28
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
So what do i do to "properly" set it up? do u mean just make sure they are all even?...u know i aint the "average person" anyway lol.

Bry, i didnt buy the shocks..it came with the car.

Mystikal, so...keeping my car as low as it is...Koni shocks are best? I dont know..right now my car is as low as Randy's was and he had bilstein sports...i dont think he bottomed out..but im not sure, Randy shed some light on this...since you already know what i wanna do anyway.
You need to take the car to a proper shop to have the car aligned and the springs corner weighed (once you settle on a height). That's it.

Jay sound right about the Bilsteins sports (which I had).. they don't like to be all the way down, so mine weren't. My car's ride was excellent once I found the proper height and had it aligned. Remember that I had an agressive body kit and 18" wheels to add to that "dumped" look you want so bad.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 10:04 PM   #29
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
You need to take the car to a proper shop to have the car aligned and the springs corner weighed (once you settle on a height). That's it.

Jay sound right about the Bilsteins sports (which I had).. they don't like to be all the way down, so mine weren't. My car's ride was excellent once I found the proper height and had it aligned. Remember that I had an agressive body kit and 18" wheels to add to that "dumped" look you want so bad.
I C...so when i get my car re done later on...i need to set up a new height and corner weigh it again? who does this? any performance shop? IAC?

Old 12-25-2003, 10:32 PM   #30
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
It is well known within the E30 community that with anything stronger than the Eibach Pro-Kits, they do not have enough rebound, and are simply NOT short enough when compressed. For this reason, check out what GC says: "Bilstein is not recommended because of the bottoming out problem. Bilstein Sports are NOT shorter than stock shocks or Konis when compressed." This is just with their spring/perch setup, obviously not a full coil-over.

Every single review I have seen of someone going from Bilstein Sport's to Koni Yellows is glowing. There is a very successful auto-xer by the name of Randy Walters out in California, most people in the E30 world know of him. He has tried just about every possible suspension setup, and he has repeatedly said that the Bilsteins just get worse and worse as you get stiffer and lower springs. It's not too noticeable with the Eibach's, but with H&R Sport or anything stiffer, they are not up to the task.
Well I drive my car on the street a lot. Race springs wouldn't seem too practical for my car. My Eibach pro kits are as stiff and as low as I want to go.

I actually heard the opposite, that Koni's are usually meant for track use and not street because they do not have as much rebound and bottom out. I don't know about E30's, but 90% of E36 owners I know who have lowered suspension are using Bilstein dampers. They seem to work just fine for us. Remember that most of us still drive our bimmers on the street, auto-x and track performance doesn't count. You have to comprimise.

My friend has 180,000km's on his '92 325 and has been using the same Bilstein shocks on his H&R stage II springs for 11-12 years. None of them have blown. Not to say that KONI's aren't great shocks too. I just don't see the problem with Bilsteins.

Jon,

Once you lower your car you HAVE to do an alinment. I waited too long to do mine after I lowered my car and messed up my tire patches completely. I regret not doing it sooner.

Doing dounuts also completely messes up your alinment, not to mention almost everything else. Try not to do it too often.

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 12-25-2003 at 10:41 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: