Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-21-2003, 02:27 PM   #16
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Quote:
Originally posted by WhadUpp
The Q45 is worth a look, the Legends on the other hand are mechanically sound but you might be hard pressed to find one that's rust-free
Your right about the rust free,i managed to find 1 in great condition but i always had the feeling there was an odomoter rollback because the previous guy managed to only get 5k miles in 1 full year.If your gonna get a Q45 make sure its 93-95,i read somewhere they were problems on the Q's below 93.If you really want serious reliability then look into a lexus lS400,those cars are bulletproof!
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:13 PM   #17
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
if you can..put that 12g down and finance a mazda 3..IMO they arent that bad!
yeah with the 2.3 litre and leather seating..

burnt orange on black

Id like one!
Old 12-21-2003, 04:20 PM   #18
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
but then again... 2door would be 10x more sexy...it'd have more of a 'sporty' feel when i pulled up to my driveway at the end of the day.
Also, i would love to reply with "i drive a beemer coupe" if any1 asked me what i drove
I've owned both a 4 door bmw, and i currently own a 2 door BMW, and to tell you the truth, hauling people in the iS is a pain in the ass! The 2 door, on the other hand, is a cop, babe, and racer magnet... i get looks from the cops all the time, the ladies love it when u tell them you drive a BMW(any year for that matter, but ofcourse, the newer the better), and every civic, integra, and golf guy on the road will wanna race you. Another thing, insurance will rape ya man. i just got my renewal, and my insurance is getting iuncreased, b/c its a 2 door iS. It really comes down to your priorities, and how much you use the back seat..

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:26 PM   #19
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
I've owned both a 4 door bmw, and i currently own a 2 door BMW, and to tell you the truth, hauling people in the iS is a pain in the ass! The 2 door, on the other hand, is a cop, babe, and racer magnet... i get looks from the cops all the time, the ladies love it when u tell them you drive a BMW(any year for that matter, but ofcourse, the newer the better), and every civic, integra, and golf guy on the road will wanna race you. Another thing, insurance will rape ya man. i just got my renewal, and my insurance is getting iuncreased, b/c its a 2 door iS. It really comes down to your priorities, and how much you use the back seat..
arg..see technically the car WILL be under my parents name but i will be the actual driver of it. so that might help the insurance. i would never race my car, my parents already told me that if i ever get a speeding ticket that was definately my fault, as in 20 over or more

they would just take the keys away from me

so i guess it all comes down to car availability, colour, and price when i'm ready to buy.

so far i'm thinking 93-95 325is or 325i...

however are there more reliability issues with the 318s than there are for the 325s?

cuz the 318 would definately be cheaper on gas, as well as insurance...wouldnt it?

Last edited by Understated; 12-21-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:32 PM   #20
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
My mom's car is a wednesday car for sure, its a BMW E34 535i 1991, it has done over 420 000km without the motor being touched, only thing we had to replace was a new clutch at 280 000km. The car still drives very well with no smoke.

The M50 engine is probably the most reliable engine to come out the Munich stables.
WOW!
I'm hoping my engine will be able to pull that off too. So far i've had to change my clutch as well at 200km's but that has nothing to do with the engine!
If your not looking for speed/power, then look into a 318, and if you can just focus on looks, etc.!
Old 12-21-2003, 04:56 PM   #21
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
arg..see technically the car WILL be under my parents name but i will be the actual driver of it. so that might help the insurance. i would never race my car, my parents already told me that if i ever get a speeding ticket that was definately my fault, as in 20 over or more

they would just take the keys away from me

so i guess it all comes down to car availability, colour, and price when i'm ready to buy.

so far i'm thinking 93-95 325is or 325i...

however are there more reliability issues with the 318s than there are for the 325s?

cuz the 318 would definately be cheaper on gas, as well as insurance...wouldnt it?
318 is not that much better on gas... actually if you look at the numbers it's just marginally better on gas. However, they can be modded really well and you can get almost the same power as a 325 engine if you invest in some basic mods. The engine also has more of a growl to it.. not sure why, but it sounds more aggressive---also more rev happy, loves to be driven in the 4000-6500 RPM range. And as Soldomatic mentioned, the 92 E36's didn't have vanos and have a really nice deep growl to the engine.

On the downside, the 4-Cylinder 318 is not as reliable engine-wise as the 6-cylinder engines... the main problem is with a leaky radiator gasket.. it can deteriorate at any time leaving coolant on the road and your car undrivable--it's simply a matter of replacing the gasket, BUT you have to dismantle the engine to do it... so it's expensive. Also another issue with the timing chain tensioner in the early 90's.. there is a redesigned version now when you replace it that is improved. The other issue is a major one... it's with the leads for the timing chain, they can bend over time and the chain could bunch up and fall off... basically destroying your engine. These are all things just to get checked as soon as you buy the car... fix them right away, and you won't have to worry about anything for a loooong time... even after fixing those engine problems, it'll still be cheaper than buying a 325... and who knows, maybe the previous owner already fixed 'em.

In a nutshell the 325/328 will last longer, the engines are stronger... the 318 is cheaper to buy, and insurance... and hey, bottom line.. if you do drop the engine, you can toss a 320 (6-cylinder) engine in there for around a grand. So it's not that big of a deal... just have to sacrafice a couple days of not driving while the swap is done.

Since you won't be speeding, and since you're young, your best bet is to get a 318i (not IS for insurance reasons) with 150 clicks or less on the odometer. It's the smart choice in terms of $$$---which really should be your highest priority at your age. You need play money too bro.. .what good is a bimmer if you don't have some extra cash to flash in front of the girls too.

Last edited by Justin e36; 12-21-2003 at 05:00 PM.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:50 AM   #22
bimmerdude
4th Gear Member

Hey while were on the subject anyone got any info on a 98 bmw 328i engine i think its a M52 if im not mistaken. but i would like to find out more about my engine and if its bulletproof or a disaster. thanks!

Viva BMW!
Thanks E46_Lover for the awesome sig
My ///M5 fund has begun estimated time : 2 years

BMW M Power
bimmerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:04 AM   #23
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally posted by bimmerdude
Hey while were on the subject anyone got any info on a 98 bmw 328i engine i think its a M52 if im not mistaken. but i would like to find out more about my engine and if its bulletproof or a disaster. thanks!

by 98 your engine has had all the kinks worked out of it... definately bulletproof. You tend to get the most problems at the beginning of a new car design or engine design. The M52 has been around for years, with only minor changes and improvements...
Old 12-22-2003, 03:10 AM   #24
bimmerdude
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36
by 98 your engine has had all the kinks worked out of it... definately bulletproof. You tend to get the most problems at the beginning of a new car design or engine design. The M52 has been around for years, with only minor changes and improvements...
cool thats nice to know thanks

Viva BMW!
Thanks E46_Lover for the awesome sig
My ///M5 fund has begun estimated time : 2 years

BMW M Power
bimmerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:18 AM   #25
Understated

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36
318 is not that much better on gas... actually if you look at the numbers it's just marginally better on gas. However, they can be modded really well and you can get almost the same power as a 325 engine if you invest in some basic mods. The engine also has more of a growl to it.. not sure why, but it sounds more aggressive---also more rev happy, loves to be driven in the 4000-6500 RPM range. And as Soldomatic mentioned, the 92 E36's didn't have vanos and have a really nice deep growl to the engine.

On the downside, the 4-Cylinder 318 is not as reliable engine-wise as the 6-cylinder engines... the main problem is with a leaky radiator gasket.. it can deteriorate at any time leaving coolant on the road and your car undrivable--it's simply a matter of replacing the gasket, BUT you have to dismantle the engine to do it... so it's expensive. Also another issue with the timing chain tensioner in the early 90's.. there is a redesigned version now when you replace it that is improved. The other issue is a major one... it's with the leads for the timing chain, they can bend over time and the chain could bunch up and fall off... basically destroying your engine. These are all things just to get checked as soon as you buy the car... fix them right away, and you won't have to worry about anything for a loooong time... even after fixing those engine problems, it'll still be cheaper than buying a 325... and who knows, maybe the previous owner already fixed 'em.

In a nutshell the 325/328 will last longer, the engines are stronger... the 318 is cheaper to buy, and insurance... and hey, bottom line.. if you do drop the engine, you can toss a 320 (6-cylinder) engine in there for around a grand. So it's not that big of a deal... just have to sacrafice a couple days of not driving while the swap is done.

Since you won't be speeding, and since you're young, your best bet is to get a 318i (not IS for insurance reasons) with 150 clicks or less on the odometer. It's the smart choice in terms of $$$---which really should be your highest priority at your age. You need play money too bro.. .what good is a bimmer if you don't have some extra cash to flash in front of the girls too.
Safe, thanks for the info bro...that was very helpful

i guess i will just go for the 318i next year(hopefully)...and get those things checked out.

plus, the only mods i'd like to do to my bimmer would be to get rid of the orange tails and install the euro styles ones.

besides that, i'd like to leave my bimmer stock

once again thanks for taking the time to educate me on the E36
Old 12-22-2003, 03:31 AM   #26
Understated

check out the kms on this 325i...sweeeeet

nice colour too!

http://www.trader.ca/DowntownChrysle...tegory=&alpha=

what do you think the E36 beemer's price will look like next year. Do u think it will change a lot?
Old 12-22-2003, 04:03 AM   #27
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

from my experience with a used bmw..

keep at least $1500 extra for repairs after u buy it.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:15 AM   #28
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
from my experience with a used bmw..

keep at least $1500 extra for repairs after u buy it.
That's the truth right there.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 AM   #29
Justin e36
---

Quote:
check out the kms on this 325i...sweeeeet

nice colour too!

http://www.trader.ca/DowntownChrysle...tegory=&alpha=

what do you think the E36 beemer's price will look like next year. Do u think it will change a lot?
looks good bro.. except don't forget that's from a dealership.. you gotta pay tax on that.

I bought my 318i in the summer of 2002... black on black leather, heated seats, fogs, sunroof, with Type 45 rims from an E46, and 1 year warranty...

They've replaced everything I've asked them to in that year... from little things like blown light bulbs, timing chain tensioner, control arm, when one of my rims got bent, they replaced it for free. Never asked any questions, never any hassle... things that wore out like my brakes they didn't do for free, but I only had to pay for the price of parts.. (or bring my own, so I can buy from eBay or whatever...) ... no charge for labour. Even when someone stole my after market clear turn signals---they gave me another pair so my car was still legal)

I paid $9,800 from the dealer... oh, and that was with 124KM.

They detailed my car before I picked her up.. and 6 months later, they asked me to bring her in to see if she needed another detailing or cleaning... and they did that for free again.

My point is... if you buy from a good dealership, you can get whatever problems you find fixed for free. You end up paying for it in the taxes... but it gives you a piece of mind. And that meant a lot to me... since it was also my first car.

Attached is the pic of her before detailing.. (same one that was in AutoTrader)... this is stock, when I bought her... NOT even close to what she still looks like. (yes.. she came with a german license plate on the front...) .. pic was taken before detailing, which is why she doesn't have a strong shine.

Most would say I over-paid for her... but from the money and frustration I saved, knowing I have a solid ride now... I'm not complaining.

Take your time bro, shop around...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my_car (before mods).jpg (27.8 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by Justin e36; 12-22-2003 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:13 PM   #30
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member

Justin, which dealer ship is that?
DbIiRrTdY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: