Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-30-2003, 02:15 PM   #16
DORIGTT
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks boosted 325! I'm looking for more information on those that go against the grain to be different. Plus my last turboed car was a Miata with a Bell Engineering Stage 3 setup that the masses said SUPERCHARGE IT but my 12psi netted me 196 at the rear wheels...

Fun car but needed different gearing to take advantage of the power.
DORIGTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:35 PM   #17
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

Funky setup boosted if you can keep us posted on future changes or mods.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:06 AM   #18
matt325is
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to matt325is
OK,

Here is the lowdown, I dont post here much, but I see some threads that I like.

My car is a 2.8l m20 turbo. I used the 524td crankshaft (forged), and have custom 8.5:1 compression Ross Racing Pistons (with high strength wrist pins). The stock rods are fine as they are forged. This bottom end will hold a lot of horsepower.

Most people who turbocharge the m20 engine want no turbo lag, so what do they do? they buy a garrett t3 turbo, this turbo is WAY too small for a 2.5-2.8l engine, this is why they see boost spikes/drops. I have a Garrett T04b turbo, and it is PERFECT. The a/r's are .50intake, and .60 exhaust.

Another thing many people overlook is engine managment. I am using a standalone fuel system called Megasquirt, look it up, it is VERY cheap, and VERY tunable. I also have MSD 6btm ignition with the adjustable boost retard (very handy if you have problems with detonation, which i have yet to have). I currently have 32lb/hr injectors, and they are good for 400+hp.

My setup has already put out 191hp and 272ft-lb tq at the wheels at 3700rpm, when the clutch slipped. I now have a centerforce dual friciton clutch and lightweight flywheel. The clutch is being broken in, so I hvae yet to redyno/tune it.

here is a graph of my dyno, if you see the curve, the potential is VERY high.

matt

Last edited by matt325is; 01-03-2004 at 09:12 AM.
matt325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:14 PM   #19
DORIGTT
1st Gear Newbie

O.K. matt325is, quit screwing around and get that clutch broken in! I want to see some numbers

What kind of resolution do you get with the megasquirt system? Also, how does your tach work with the MSD system?

Thanks in advance.
DORIGTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:53 PM   #20
matt325is
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to matt325is
Hey,

not sure what you mean by resolution. If you are talking about tuning capabilities, well, its massive. You have an 8x8 VE table, 3d realtime tunable maps, WB a/f ratio feature, cold start enrichment, cold start valve feature, duty cycle gauges, all temp gauges. All of this is vuable on the laptop. For tuning, you go to the 3d map, and there is a curser on the map, and when you increase load and rpm, it goes up, then you move a second curser to the other point, and make it richer (shift+ up) or less rich (shift+ down). Pretty simple.

The tach was not effected by the msd ignition, since the stock computer is still driving the ignition (advance and retard). Its pretty much a piggyback ignition system with a standalone fuel system.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #21
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

SO YOU CAN control the timing with the msd? i was going to turbo my m20, but didn't know if i had to get a chip that was setup for the turbo boost (control detonation). i heard of people moving the crank position sensor a couple of mm's, that didn't set right with me. that's like a bandaid for the inevidable. also, wouldn't that make the car run like sh#*. anyway thanks for info, i know this post is old, but wtf.
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:25 AM   #22
WRENCH
1st Gear Newbie

well having done many m50 conversions into E30 chassis, it is a lot of work and additional expenses unseen to make it worthwhile, yes going to an M engine would help but is the rest of the car capable of the swap???, having raced the E30 professionally with the engine done we had tons of horsepower and lots of wins at the track, so it is do able, another option is a supercharger, less mods and great results, see ERT's web site they have lots of kits for this mod.
WRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:54 AM   #23
objec
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to objec
msd works good with the m20, i use it one one of my cars, i get a little over 400whp. i also used the turbo idea, worked so good, i used another one.
the supra is a inline 6 like the m20, we all know the numbers a supra can put up. i think the inline 6 m20 preforms better, holds better compression.
objec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:58 AM   #24
objec
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to objec
you wont have to worry about turbo lag eather when you use two turbos. the m50 i think is the worst engine bmw ever put out. bad idea to upgrade an e30 to m50 engine, not really getting more power, alot cheaper to twin turbo it, all you need is a buddy who can weld.
objec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:36 PM   #25
Bigbore
4th Gear Member

Rather then get two turbos i`d suggest a good ballbearing turbo instead. GEt a BOV and a aftermarket wastegate and your turbo will be at full boost much faster, my T3 was at full boost at a mere 2300ish RPM, considering my car would rev to 8000, thats very very low end.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: