Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-13-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs down kidney grill

looks like some one was trying to do something with my ride last night. I went to oakville with my gf ... not sure of the location right now ... anyhow my left kidney grill is gone and i can't think for the life of me why . Can these things just pop out for no given reason or was some one trying get in to the engine bay of my car?

anyhow ... it is sucks either way.
DbIiRrTdY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
HooliGaN*
GILF HUNTER

Send a message via ICQ to HooliGaN* Send a message via MSN to HooliGaN*
there hard 2 take off (properly)
im sure u could jus break them off no point though

Julian
HooliGaN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
BMWF1

Those things are the biggest bitches to take off, unless he just put a screw driver in and broke off most of the latches then Maybe one of your friends is pulling your leg, cause why would they only take one????
Old 12-13-2003, 06:24 PM   #4
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member

I think some one left the house to go for a smoke and that might have scared them off inadverantly
Old 12-14-2003, 04:55 AM   #5
Timbaland
3rd Gear Member

Seriously, why do idiots do things like this? What are you gonna do with something like that?
Old 12-14-2003, 06:26 PM   #6
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Timbaland
Seriously, why do idiots do things like this? What are you gonna do with something like that?

Install it on your accord......

Man that is so crappy people do that for the thrill, maybe an adrenaline rush????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda bimmer.jpg (56.9 KB, 179 views)

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:37 PM   #7
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
That sucks, as people have mentioned those grills on the e36 are a mega pain in the ass to take off without breaking any of those stupid latches........Don't know why they couldn't keep it simple like on the e30's.....

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #8
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member

well maybe the were trying to break in - get under the hood disable the alarm and ish ... not sure ... anyhow it sucks a$$, cuz it looks like my car got punched in the face and is missing a tooth.

My next question is does any one have one (driver side) or a set they are willing to sell me?

thanks
Old 12-15-2003, 11:03 PM   #9
BeemerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

i used to think they were hard to take of on e36, then i was shown the trick to them, all u do its hit the black insert with a touch of brute force and ignorance and then it falls in and u take both peices out, buddy had both kidneys out in 30 seconds. soi maybe someone just lucked out and u scared them away before they could get the other one...
BeemerBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 12:22 AM   #10
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
check ebay for them
Old 12-16-2003, 02:18 PM   #11
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
With most import cars you can get into the engine bay very easily through the front grill... (you know all those civics with after market mesh grills?.. VERY STUPID. Some tin snips and a flat head and 15 seconds to pop the hood... cut the battery, and the car is free for the taking.) In either case... someone was obviously trying to do this with your bimmer.. it's a lot tougher though, because we have a metal plate backing most of it... you'd need a tool that is shaped like a U to curl around the plate and pull the latch. In either case.. they'd be in for a surprise---since we don't even have a battery in our engine bay.

One of the reasons it's smart to keep your trunk on the VALET lock.. so even if someone breaks into your car, and unlocks the doors.. your trunk won't unlock... and they can't clip your battery.. or steal your subs/amp if you have. A little of a nuisance to use your trunk key to get into your trunk... but e36's are starting to get stolen a lot now a days.. so be safe.

Lastly, the e36 kidney grills won't fall off easily.. you'd notice it before it ever fell off because of all the clips around it.... it's 2 pieces. and likely if it did get lose, it'd clip itself back in place. it's possible to unclip them with a flat head screwdriver by pushing the black inner piece (thru the front grille) hard enough at the location of each clip. the black part will fall thru and you pull the chrome ring out at the front. That is likely how they got it off... drivers side, because the hood latch is above the drivers side grill.

It's possible they left the grills where they popped it off and you just didn't notice it until later. ??

Anyway, I have a spare set of grills for sale.. I PM'd you.

Take care bro.. I know how frustrating it is.. had my emblems stolen a couple weeks ago... my car looks naked.

Justin
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:58 PM   #12
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36
(you know all those civics with after market mesh grills?.. VERY STUPID. Some tin snips and a flat head and 15 seconds to pop the hood... cut the battery, and the car is free for the taking.)

One of the reasons it's smart to keep your trunk on the VALET lock.. so even if someone breaks into your car, and unlocks the doors.. your trunk won't unlock... and they can't clip your battery.. or steal your subs/amp if you have. A little of a nuisance to use your trunk key to get into your trunk... but e36's are starting to get stolen a lot now a days.. so be safe.

Take care bro.. I know how frustrating it is.. had my emblems stolen a couple weeks ago... my car looks naked.
Rexdale, right?

You all need a Big Black Guy Named Ben.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:18 PM   #13
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

is there that valet thing on the E30s?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:44 PM   #14
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
Rexdale, right?

You all need a Big Black Guy Named Ben.
LOL.. yeah, Rexdale. I don't know how safe my car would be with A Big Black Guy Named Ben... since he's probably from Rexdale himself. :/
Old 12-16-2003, 09:52 PM   #15
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
is there that valet thing on the E30s?
I'm 99% sure it does..

If I'm not mistaken, all E30's with a production date of 9/84 and up have double locks as standard. (and 1/85 for E28's)

With that said, there are two different sizes of keys for the E30. (a long one, and a short one). The end of the long keys are what engages the double locks. However, they can not engage the valet lock. So, you'd need a shorter key... (short keys are marked with an I, and the long ones with an S). to engage the valet lock... but it can't engage the double lock.

In a nutshell: 2 sizes of keys.

Long = lock/double-lock/ignition but no valet lock. (S keys with 5 digit key code)

Short = lock/ignition/valet lock but no double lock. (I keys with 4 digit key code)

... I could be a little bit off, since I've never owned an E30 myself.. only my E36... but I'm 99% sure that's how it worked w/ those production dates.

I hope that helps.

J

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: