Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-26-2002, 09:54 AM   #1
addbhp
3rd Gear Member

1)Great learning experience Ė Your right for those going in with an open mind (not everyone does) there is tremendous learning. But like anything there is a learning curve, and depending on the instructor, you may find the learning curve slows down, and at that point, it becomes more of a weekend for seat time.

2)Allota Fun - Absolutely, for any car, driving, or motorsport enthusiast this is a must do.

3)Too #$%^ expensive Ė For a two day driving event with instruction, this is a good value, but for those using it as a means to gather track time, certainly with the recent number of track days out there for around $125, there are cheaper ways to gather track time. But for the novice or rookie drivers, this school gets highly recommended by me. I wish this was a requirement of anyone that goes to a track day. I get very frustrated with those people that turn up to track days with no instruction, think they're experts in there tuned cars and continually have "offs". Beside being dangerous for everyone, they also take away from track time, with having to halt an event to clean up the mess they made, or have someone scrape up their car.

4)Too much stress on the car Ė Hello, itís a BMW, and a late 80ís early 90ís one at that ( I wonít get into the conversation that BMWís arenít build the way they used to be, ask any experienced mechanic). Itís meant to be driven hard. Yes you can expect to increase the wear of some parts, especially brakes and tires, but learn to change your brake pads, fluid and graduate to R compounds at the track and the wear isnít noticed as much.

5)Too far to drive all the time - Your obviously not hooked yet, Like the ad says "it's worth the drive..." My suggestion would be to book a room with some other participants, share the cost and stay closer to the track, you'll find you are less tired, less km's go on your car, and you may learn more by talking to other people and instructors even away from the track.

6)Too much gas wastedĖ Again your not hooked yet, what did you expect, your driving at 10/10th for two days solid. My suggestion would be stay closer, and learn to budget your money better.

7)Too many Kmís on the car Ė again, I doubt your hooked, Arenít carís meant to be driven? I have 257,000km on my 91 BMW that has been tracked every yr. since 97 but one(bought a house) and I take pride in the way my car still runs and looks with that mileage on it. Certainly if you plan on keeping this car long term, who cares about mileage?

8 & 9) Great People and Great cars Ė absolutely, one of the best drives was as a passenger with a US instructor in a heavily tuned twin turbo Mazda RX-7 around Mt. Tremblant. And some of the discussions on Saturday evening were great, great atmosphere when everyone stays in the area.

10)Too tired - Your right, the mental energy used during these weekends, is much more than anyone expects, that is why many try and book a hotel nearby, see point 5.

11) The autocrosses are too easy - I wonder if these events were timed? You may be very surprised at the results when you see timed events. Besides these are exercises designed to teach car control at safe speeds, and then transfer that knowledge to the larger track, where speeds are obviously greater. I think it's good you found these easy, but try the BMW club autocrosses before thinking your an expert here.

Nice legs eh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosport grid.jpg (26.3 KB, 133 views)
2001 330Cic
addbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 10:40 AM   #2
lovince
1st Gear Newbie

looks like Mark has it covered...

but I'll add one thing:

10. I felt too damn tired after each day - Keep drinking (only) water! You will get very tired very quickly if your body is dehydrated... So if you're not going to the bathroom at least once an hour, you're probably not drinking enough! And learn to relax - smile, laugh - even when you're driving. It'll be far less stressful on your body!

My $0.02

"At a given day and a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit, and you touch the limit, and you think "okay, this is the limit". As soon as you touch this limit, something happens in you so that you can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and your experience as well, you can fly very high." - Aryton Senna
lovince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

1. Great learning experience ---- Totally agree... couldn't learn more anywhere else in 2 days!

2. Alotta Fun ---- DUH!

3. Too F****'N Expensive ---- Are you on glue? where else can you learn that much about your car (and yourself) for 2 days on an Internationally known track with elevation changes? The BMWCC school is non profit and they usually just break even.

4. Too much stress on the car ---- Buy a Ford F150 pickup then!

5. Too far to drive all the time ---- Try living in Kansas... man, we're all spoiled here in T.O. you don't realize it.

6. Too much $$$ on gas wasted ---- Are you joking? Dude, you need to sell that car, leave this forum and buy a Hyundai.

7. Put on alotta Kliks on the M3 ---- HaHa. Do you store it in a bubble too? Why are you so worried about the km's whey you're probably going to write-it-off this summer anyways?

8. Nice to see all the great cars/Bimmers ---- YUP!...especially the club races.

10. I felt too damn tired after each day ---- Out of shape (me too).

11. The autocrosses are too easy ---- they meant for learning Rob, come out this Sunday and lets see how good you really do!

P.S. Rob, I'm not trying to pick on you, but you always put yourself in these situations with your comments.... sometimes I just don't get you.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:18 AM   #4
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd

6. Too much $$$ on gas wasted ---- Are you joking? Dude, you need to sell that car, leave this forum and buy a Hyundai.
HAHAHAHAHA

Quote:

7. Put on alotta Kliks on the M3 ---- HaHa. Do you store it in a bubble too? Why are you so worried about the km's whey you're probably going to write-it-off this summer anyways?
Look who is talking I never seen you car on the road Randy

Quote:

10. I felt too damn tired after each day ---- Out of shape (me too).

HOHOHO
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:48 AM   #5
addbhp
3rd Gear Member

Randy...I love how blunt you are..keep it up. I may try and come to the autocross this weekend, but right now the BMW is still in the shop. Patiently waiting for new Bilsteins, M3 control arm bushings, new rear subframe bushings, new sway bars, and braided ss lines to be installed. Can't wait

I think it's been 2-3 yrs since I kicked everyone's ass. Maybe I'll bring the secret weapon. Low power, mid engine, fast & furious paint, short wheel base
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr2side.jpg (13.3 KB, 118 views)
2001 330Cic
addbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:29 PM   #6
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

I think I am gonna show up for Sunday but looks like it going to rain all day.

Randy, do you know what their policy on the passengers is?

SL

Quote:
11. The autocrosses are too easy ---- they meant for learning Rob, come out this Sunday and lets see how good you really do!

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:34 PM   #7
EMPOWERD

Quote:
[i]Look who is talking I never seen you car on the road Randy [/b]
Vlad,

this is the kind of abuse my car has taken....

-386,000km of HEAVY foot abuse.
-8 years of Autocrossing with BMWclub, Miata club, Corvette club
-9 driving schools
-5 trips to Florida
-3 trips to NOPI (Atlanta)
-5 trips to New Jersey
-2 years of 80HP Nitrous Oxide

......just cause Maxbimmer started last Nov and my cars been in storage doesn't mean anything... you should know that.

In General.....

The thing that bothers me the most about driving schools is not really the activities, rather the politics involved in the club that everyone talks about but no one voices because of a certain Chief Instrutor. I hate people being fake a kissing ass to move up the ladder instead of being promoted due to their driving abilities..... THIS has to stop.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 04-26-2002 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:41 PM   #8
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Randy,

fill us in on some of the politics that goes on in the BMWCC events...
Have you any recent stories...

Gossip Gossip!!!
Sorry Bimmer dude, I can't (read: won't) do that.... I was on the "instructors list" 2 years ago and for some reason haven't been contacted about it at all. hmmmmm?

Pat,

I absolutely LOVE to hear some basketball locker room gossip about MaxForums and all.... care to fill Rob and I in?.... am I digging my own grave with a certain someone? Thanks....

P.S. Maybe "got torque" has some info?
P.S.S Are you guys going to the autocross?

KIRASIR,

No helmets required, passengers allowed (if the driver wants that extra weight). Starts at 8am sharp.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 04-26-2002, 02:18 PM   #9
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

If the weather is at least half good(not pouring) I should be there.

A passenger with my open-diff will only be a bonus. I am getting a limited slip one on Saturday but I don't think I'll have time to install it before the autocross.

See ya there.
SL

Quote:

KIRASIR,

No helmets required, passengers allowed (if the driver wants that extra weight). Starts at 8am sharp.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 02:25 PM   #10
SickFinga

Quote:

Vlad,

this is the kind of abuse my car has taken....

-386,000km of HEAVY foot abuse.
-8 years of Autocrossing with BMWclub, Miata club, Corvette club
-9 driving schools
-5 trips to Florida
-3 trips to NOPI (Atlanta)
-5 trips to New Jersey
-2 years of 80HP Nitrous Oxide

......just cause Maxbimmer started last Nov and my cars been in storage doesn't mean anything... you should know that.
386,000 on e36 m3 engine???!!!!!
I know that you drove your car on streets. I saw videos. But I really never seen your car on streets.

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 04-26-2002 at 02:45 PM.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 03:59 PM   #11
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:

Sorry Bimmer dude, I can't (read: won't) do that.... I was on the "instructors list" 2 years ago and for some reason haven't been contacted about it at all. hmmmmm?

Pat,

I absolutely LOVE to hear some basketball locker room gossip about MaxForums and all.... care to fill Rob and I in?.... am I digging my own grave with a certain someone? Thanks....

P.S. Maybe "got torque" has some info?
P.S.S Are you guys going to the autocross?

KIRASIR,

In reality, I don't have any information as to what's going on. I haven't been to a b-ball game in 4 weeks now (knees are not as young as they used to be...), so no juicy details.

I'm in relatively the same boat you are Randy; I'm not sure what's going on, and I am reluctant to get into a discussion posted online, since several members of the club tend to browse websites quite regularly. I have my concerns, but these are best discussed over a beer sometime, rather than aired on a bulletin board for all to see.

Name a time and a place, and I'm more than happy to fill you in on what I know (which admittedly isn't a hell of a lot), but suffice to say, there were some interesting discussions over beers in hotel rooms last weekend.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 04:17 PM   #12
M3ntal Kev
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Bad Karma,
how 'bout using the PM system maxbimmer provides..no-one will know....

how'bout email ... rservidio@sympatico.ca

Gossip Gossip
How about a beer... that's always better than being parked in front of the PC 24/7.

/// M3NTAL Kev

M3ntal Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 04:27 PM   #13
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
I'd also have to agree with Kevin on this one.

E-mail can still come around to bite you at some point in time.

Besides, bull-shitting over a beer is a lot more fun than typing in e-mails back and forth about what's going on.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear though. I have nothing *bad* to say about John; he runs a decent, clean program.

If you've ever attended a driving school run by some other program (SAAB, or BMWCCA, or PCA or BMW-CC-Quebec), then you'd know how good we have it with Trillium.

Politics are unfortunately a part of it, and therein lies *some* of the concerns that I have, and several others.

'Nuff said.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 01:08 AM   #14
Youngdubber
1st Gear Newbie

Hi Kev

Hi Kev....your car is slow....haha joking. I agree with the beer...now that I'm legal age to buy it..

and Kev...as soon as I get my new victoracers(2 weeks or so)...I'm auto-x with you...need to rep the VeeDub scene...
Youngdubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:41 AM   #15
M3ntal Kev
3rd Gear Member

Rob:
PC = Personal Computer
24 = Hours in a day
7 = Days in a week

Youngdubber:
Save your pennies and make sure you come out to a driver's school at least once this year! BTW, my car is slow.

/// M3NTAL Kev

M3ntal Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: