Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-09-2003, 03:47 AM   #16
ROBM3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROBM3
Unless you are an audiophile, you wont know the difference !
Most people dont wanna spend alotta money on car audio....

So they buy mediocre stuff... The hardcore car audio enthusiast would never buy from Best Buy or Future shop etc.

What I am getting at is buy what you like and can/want to afford.
ROBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:47 AM   #17
Schnell 318
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
However, I do agree that kicker and Audiobahn are great for pure pounding bass.
all of the subs you listed will flat out rule anthing audiobahn and kicker makes and sound a million times better at the same time.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:49 AM   #18
Schnell 318
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROBM3
Unless you are an audiophile, you wont know the difference !
Most people dont wanna spend alotta money on car audio....

So they buy mediocre stuff... The hardcore car audio enthusiast would never buy from Best Buy or Future shop etc.

What I am getting at is buy what you like and can/want to afford.
thats true but this stuff is only margianly more expensive, maybe $100 or $200 but it would sound worlds nicer and be louder too.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:49 AM   #19
ROBM3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Schnell 318
all of the subs you listed will flat out rule anthing audiobahn and kicker makes and sound a million times better at the same time.
YES BUT YOU ALSO NEED A GREAT AMP !

I'd rather have an awesome amp with an "OK" Sub.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:58 AM   #20
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Miguel.. this is what i have! the TREO TSX, and believe me it hammers a lot of subs in the market expecially at the $300 level

Great sound quality and extream excursion (for thoes insane low notes)

www.treoonline.com

Available in 10, 12, and 15 inch diameters.
Precision CNC-machined low-carbon steel motor structure (208oz)Powerful and durable double-stacked strontium ferrite magnets
Durable and attractive black oxide-treated motor structure
High-flow large diameter pole vent
High excursion motor structure and suspension design
Wide three-layer UV-treated foam surround
Resin-impregnated poly-cotton damper for increased cone control
Mica-impregnated polypropylene cone and dustcap
Cold-rolled stamped steel basket with rolled edges
2.5 inch high-temperature Aluminum voice coils
3.0 inch high-temperature Aluminum voice coils on TSX15.x
300 Watts RMS Power Handling (under rated)
Available with dual 2 Ohm and dual 4 Ohm voice coils for increased installation flexibility
Built by hand in the United States from domestic and imported components
Three year dealer installed warranty!!!
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:01 AM   #21
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Audiobahn will get loud. Low SQ.

RE is super super good. Hang around on soundomains forums and caraudioforums.com and they will let you know whats up.

JL w6 and w7 are awsome but hefty price.

An OK amp with a good sub or an OK sub with a good amp isn't ideal. Try to match the specs of the amp with the specs of the sub.

JL makes great amps, Zapco as well. Mixed opinions are had about RF amps and MTX amps.

Rob is right most people do not know the differeance. I did not know what clean bass was before I got rid of my bandpass setup and two mtx's.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:02 AM   #22
ROBM3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Rob is right most people do not know the differeance. I did not know what clean bass was before I got rid of my bandpass setup and two mtx's.
Am I ever wrong ? lol

j/ks
Old 12-09-2003, 04:02 AM   #23
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

You gotta watch out cause some of the huge magnet really stiff speakers like these (below) are made more for Competition then for music.. so basicly your system will only play 1 or 2 notes loud and the require thousands of watts to run.

be warned of them

LOL.. all this talk reminds me of my Toyota's previous usage. It hit 152 db

Last edited by Slowered318; 12-09-2003 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:09 AM   #24
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
MTX trying to get back their rep..

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 12-09-2003, 04:23 AM   #25
Schnell 318
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318
You gotta watch out cause some of the huge magnet really stiff speakers like these (below) are made more for Competition then for music.. so basicly your system will only play 1 or 2 notes loud and the require thousands of watts to run.
accualy you couldnt be further from the truth. all of the subs posted have large magnents like that and all sound great.

one of the biggest fators to consider when looking at a sub is xmax which is the one way linear displacement of a sub. one of the biggest limiting factors of xmax is the spider design.

take a look at this sub:

see how the spider slopes inward, common low end design
now look at this sub:

see how the spider goes out then down, it allows the cone to move as far as it wants, it will never hit the spider meaner alot more xmax which means alot more linear displacement which means alot louder.

another common misconception is that a sub must have rms power to sound the best, this also couldnt be further from the truth. power is completely dependant upon box size. take the brahma for example. it is rated at 1600 rms, does that mean it takes 1600 watts to get is moving to full xmax? hell no.
it is completely dependent upon the size of the box its in.
you can put it in a 2 cubic feet box and it only needs 600 watts to get is to full xmax, or you could put it in a .1 cubic foot box and it would take 2800 watts.

the bigest single problem in car audio is that people will always think that what they have sounds kick ass because they usualy dont have anything better to compare it too. there are kids at my school who think that their 10" explod is so loud and sounds so good.

oh and mtx blows

Last edited by Schnell 318; 12-09-2003 at 04:27 AM.
Schnell 318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:23 AM   #26
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
I have had kicker solo(power hungry) JL's ,cerwin's ect. I liked them for the bass but your sound stage is made up more of the other speakers. Like say a 6 piece component set or compression loaded horn drivers. If you get a high end sub lots out there in a sealed box nothing too big or the bass will hang. You should be concered also with how much power they need.
Just my .02
Jase
Old 12-09-2003, 04:31 AM   #27
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Schnell most people should give a sub its rms power or the sub is not going to perform to their expectations.

Therefore they crank it amp goes into clipping sqaure signal...

We both know what happens then.

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 12-09-2003, 04:37 AM   #28
Schnell 318
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Schnell most people should give a sub its rms power or the sub is not going to perform to their expectations.

Therefore they crank it amp goes into clipping sqaure signal...

We both know what happens then.
you are right because most people know nothing of box sizing and use some shitty prefab box they got conned into buying along with the sub.

but since he is talking about a high end sub he should understand principles of box design and know that just because the brahma hes looking at says 1600 rms doesnt mean it needs 1600 watts. i will be purchasing one this spring with my birthday cash and i will only be giving it 600 watts but in a 2 cubic foot box that is the perfect amount of power for the 12 to reach its xmax.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:55 AM   #29
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Schnell 318
I agree with you somewhat..

I'm not an expert, just a hobbyist (a lot of expert wannabe's out there) and dummies..

My point ..I've always gone with the medium sized subs. top of the line usually sounds like garbage and cost a fortune expecially to power them. bottom of the line sounds good for a few weeks untill they start spewing smoke.. but every sub design is slightly different and there is no way to know how it will sound by looking at a picture, the Spider, the magnet, or some big tire sized surround. so YOU couldn't be further then the truth

You wanna build a system? the box is what makes a system! not the sub or amp. but it helps to start with a sub that has a long throw design, a nice motor (with a good sized voice coil 2.5-3 inch) and a light weight stiff cone. that's the making of a good sub for music but in the wrong box all that money is wasted!

I have a Treo TSX in a 2.4 cube ported box and it sounds insane, so i'm happy and would recommend the sub. but if you like JL subs.. put one of thoes in my box and it'll sound just about the same.

but whatever bla bla bla.. let em wast money and make people rich LOL

Last edited by Slowered318; 12-09-2003 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:33 AM   #30
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
I used to have term cad software to design boxes. I never used it so I sold it. Anyone know where you can get some?. Slowered318 is right bad box design and the sub dosent matter.
Jase

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: