Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-10-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
Question Valve Contact??

Last week I put a new clutch in my 94 325iS and everything went excellent.... When i put it all back together my clutch felt very light....it was very easy to push down to the floor......ANYWAYS..no problems there except i have to learn the new clutch feel.....well later that night i went to get on the gas and shift from first to second and I blew it like an amature....whatever..i heard the rev limiter kick in for like half a second and then the revs dropped back down and i learned how to shift properly......WELL....now im hearing this little ticking sound that increases with the revs...

I put the car up on the hoist at work today and I could here the noise from the exhaust side of the head....im pretty certain it s not bottom end...so it leaves the valves as suspect....

is it possible that even thought the stock rev limiter kicked in there still might have been slight valve to piston contact or something along those lines that would be causing the ticking sound......

I haven't felt a loss of power and my boss who's been a mechanic for over 20 years says that the sound is hardly noticeable and i shouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse.....but I'm fussy and I am worried about it.....

the only thing i can think is to pull the head and visually inspect....

anyone got any other ideas or input feel free....

Thanks

Andre.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Do you hear the ticking noise during idle or just when you rev it up??
Does the ticking noise become louder or ticks faster as RPMS climb??
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:09 PM   #3
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

it ticks in conjuction with the revs...once every revolution.... u know.... it doesn't get louder as it revs higher though....and there is no loss of power at all....which is usually present when a valve has been bent.....

what u thinking it is crazyvadim
Old 12-11-2003, 02:12 AM   #4
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member

dumb question ... but how is your oil level?
DbIiRrTdY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:14 AM   #5
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

not a dumb question at all.....if the oil level was low that would definately make some racket..... But my oil level is right up and the oil is still relatively fresh
Old 12-11-2003, 03:56 PM   #6
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Ticking noise is def. not coming from the clutch or flywheel??
Old 12-11-2003, 04:07 PM   #7
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

My guess would be the piston contact.....that half a second would be enough to bend the valve causing the ticking sound,monitor your oil consumption.Give me a few days,i'll ask 1 of my workers see what he thinks...
Old 12-11-2003, 04:11 PM   #8
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

I thought i could hear it a bit from the tranny but it's more dominant from the exhaust....I used a scope and i think the sound is just echoing through the metal cause it doesn't really matter where i put it i can still here the sound....except at the botttom of the oil pan..no sound there...probably cause the oil baffels it..... I'll keep my eyes on it....
thanks for the help.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:33 PM   #9
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
I thought i could hear it a bit from the tranny but it's more dominant from the exhaust....I used a scope and i think the sound is just echoing through the metal cause it doesn't really matter where i put it i can still here the sound....except at the botttom of the oil pan..no sound there...probably cause the oil baffels it..... I'll keep my eyes on it....
thanks for the help.
Check the tranny man,maybe you put stuff back together wrong when you put in a new clutch.From what i know,piston to valve contact cant happen with the rev limiter and even if there was valve damage you would of noticed some kind of performance lose.....engine would of def. gave you some kind of sign that something is wrong.I was thinking maybe the throw out bearing??
Old 12-14-2003, 01:32 PM   #10
Gizmo
2nd Gear Member

It has got to be your hydrolic valve lifters, they make the noise you talk about. My brother's 94 325i also makes the same noise, it doesn't hamper performance but just makes the noise, have you replaced them recently? If not, then the only way to get rid of the noise is by replacing them, they are quite expensive though...
Old 12-14-2003, 04:33 PM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Hitting the rev limiter once wouldn't make the valves contact the pistons, I hit the rev limiter all the time when autocrossing.

You could probably but a brick on the accelerator and let the car run out of gas while on the rev limiter and the valves wouldn't hit the pistons. That is what the rev limiter is there for.

That said, you never know. Maybe a lifter is stuck or something.

Does the noise go away when you clutch in?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 12-14-2003 at 04:43 PM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:06 PM   #12
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Hitting the rev limiter once wouldn't make the valves contact the pistons, I hit the rev limiter all the time when autocrossing.

You could probably but a brick on the accelerator and let the car run out of gas while on the rev limiter and the valves wouldn't hit the pistons. That is what the rev limiter is there for.

That said, you never know. Maybe a lifter is stuck or something.

Does the noise go away when you clutch in?
I thought the same thing about the limiter. It's there to stop the valves from contacting and i think I've only ever hit it that one time.

The noise doesn't change when i clutch in.... I don't think its anything with the clutch. I've done many clutches at where I work. I just mentioned the new clutch because that was the reason I blew a shift because i wasn't used to the feel of the new clutch yet. I didn't want you guys to think I do't know how to shift. Mind you, if I knew how to shift i wouldn't have blowen that one. oh well...everyone makes mistakes...

I'm gonna see If I have time tomorrow to do a compression test. If there is a bent valve then it won't be seating properly and that piston should have a lower compression reading then the others.

crazyvadim-i put a new throw out bearing in when i did the clutch. But you've got me thinking because when i first put everything back together the pedal throw was extremely light and the clutch engages right at the very top of the stroke and now its been about 2 weeks and about 500 Km and it's starting to feel harder to push down. But no noises at all; engaged or not.
I'm thinking maybe the slve cylinder is shot too?
what do you think.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:09 PM   #13
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
It has got to be your hydrolic valve lifters, they make the noise you talk about. My brother's 94 325i also makes the same noise, it doesn't hamper performance but just makes the noise, have you replaced them recently? If not, then the only way to get rid of the noise is by replacing them, they are quite expensive though...
Is there a way of telling for sure If its them....
If i remove the valve cover and then run the engine and try to pin-point the culpret can I buy just one hydraulic lifter or do you have to buy the whole set....
Old 12-16-2003, 09:54 PM   #14
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Man these small ticks and shit are so hard to diagnose,i wish i can listen to where the noise is coming from.Take a good listen to your tranny to see if its coming from there,from what i understand you dont have enough free play in the clutch pedal you may need adjustment.As far as the ticking noise,my best guess is either the throw out bearing or the lifters (how much miles you got on them?).Hydraulic lifters can wear inside causing valve train clatter which is a slight tapping noise.Check the lifters for wear,a worn lifter will be flat on the bottom,replace the lifter if the bottoms are worn
Old 12-17-2003, 01:20 AM   #15
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

crazyvadim- I checked the Haynes manual for adjustment on the clucth and they said there wasn't any. Do you know how it adjust or should I just get a new slave cylinder. I get parts at cost so I can afford to toss one in if you think that will solve the clutch pedal being so high up in the stroke.

I've listened to the sound again yesterday on the hoist and my boss got in and shifted throught the gears. I'm almost positive it isn't the throwout bearing. The ticking ; as minimal as it is; can be heard mostly on the exhaust side of the block and I put a scope on the exhasut and It sounds like it's comin from there. From what everyone has been suggesting I think it might be a worn exhaust lifter on just one cylinder. The only thing that has me thinking though is that lifters should wear gradually, and this noise started right after that little rev limiter situation.?

BTW I really appreciate ur guys input on this.
Thanks crazyvadim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: