Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-30-2003, 04:24 AM   #1
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
E30 ellipsoids, H4 low beams? Whats the difference?

Okay my 325e has the crappy sealed beams which emit terrible light........I want to upgrade my lights but I don't know what I can get.......
I know the new e30's seem to have a projection style light...........What can I do, or can someone explain this to me?
Thanks,
Also anywhere in the GTA I can get these new lights?
Thanks

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 04:38 AM   #2
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

the projectors are superior to all beams, the euro projectors are in fact better, but US ones M50E30 is selling for about 200

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:31 PM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Everyone seems to think that the ellipsoids are better than the H4's, but that's just false rumours. The was a guy on bfc that had comparision pics of US ellips vs. Hella H4 and he says the H4's are way better.

Also, never listen to anyone that says Euro ellips are in any way better than US. It is the same setup, only the Euro ones have the smilie at the bottom which does nothing but throw the unused light directly in front of the car.

Get Hella H4's, and I already posted a good shop selling them, in Markham. http://www.raceraccessories.com/

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:33 PM   #4
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Cool, I didn't see it on the website, just hella foglights.......DO you know how much and if anything else is involved installing them?
Thanks
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Mystikal

Yeah, he is the sole supplier of Hella stuff for aftermarket in this area, he can order anything. Years ago mine were bought from him. Call the place and get a quote.

They are also $50USD from http://www.bavarianautosport.com/shop.asp

@stancejay
Old 11-30-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

How would a projected beam not be better than a normal light?

european headlights also have a better projection beam than normal lights, why do you think euro ellipsoids are better than US spec for E36?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 11-30-2003 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:30 PM   #7
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
How would a projected beam not be better than a normal light?

european headlights also have a better projection beam than normal lights, why do you think euro ellipsoids are better than US spec for E36?
I'm just passing on a testimonial. We'll line up our cars next meet during the night, see which is better.

What, are you generalizing all European light assemblies? I've seen pics of each taken apart, the only difference is that the Euro ellips have the smilie, which does nothing for functionality. This is confirmed by the owner of MMSport, who makes HID and DDE kits for E30s. He himself has worked with plenty of each type, and says there is no difference.

@stancejay
Old 11-30-2003, 09:36 PM   #8
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
I'm just passing on a testimonial. We'll line up our cars next meet during the night, see which is better.

What, are you generalizing all European light assemblies? I've seen pics of each taken apart, the only difference is that the Euro ellips have the smilie, which does nothing for functionality. This is confirmed by the owner of MMSport, who makes HID and DDE kits for E30s. He himself has worked with plenty of each type, and says there is no difference.
ya lets line em up...because it makes more sense, with HID..would u rather have it projected or just in a headlight? There wouldnt be a real sharp cut off..and wouldnt extend as far.

Old 11-30-2003, 09:52 PM   #9
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
ya lets line em up...because it makes more sense, with HID..would u rather have it projected or just in a headlight? There wouldnt be a real sharp cut off..and wouldnt extend as far.
Halogens can only throw so much light output. With HID's, the ellips are much better since they control the sheer brightness so much better. But with just 55W bulbs, the less restrictive setup of the H4's puts more light out.

@stancejay
Old 11-30-2003, 10:40 PM   #10
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

I c that sorta make sense...

Old 11-30-2003, 11:11 PM   #11
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Ya i think what mystikal is saying makes sense, however, the smiles DO serve a purpose, function wise, they allow the light, as you said yourself to be projected better. But H4's might be better as well since they use more power, CORRECT?!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:18 AM   #12
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
Ya i think what mystikal is saying makes sense, however, the smiles DO serve a purpose, function wise, they allow the light, as you said yourself to be projected better. But H4's might be better as well since they use more power, CORRECT?!
No, the smilie is just the little semi-circle at the bottom of the low beam. All it does is allow the non-projected light that is restricted from being thrown forward out of the assembly towards the ground directly in front of the car, meaning not visible from behind the wheel. The main portion and shape of all internal geometry is otherwise identical.

And regarding power, the both use 55W bulbs as standard. The power usage is identical given the same bulb.

@stancejay
Old 12-01-2003, 01:47 AM   #13
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
No, the smilie is just the little semi-circle at the bottom of the low beam. All it does is allow the non-projected light that is restricted from being thrown forward out of the assembly towards the ground directly in front of the car, meaning not visible from behind the wheel. The main portion and shape of all internal geometry is otherwise identical.

And regarding power, the both use 55W bulbs as standard. The power usage is identical given the same bulb.
wat r u einstein? all that internal geometrical mumbo jumbo makes me hungry

Old 12-01-2003, 01:49 AM   #14
Mystikal

Sometimes I like to slip out of the DJ-Mixmaster-Myst personality and speak intelligently. It gets me around in life.

@stancejay
Old 12-01-2003, 01:04 PM   #15
NickP

As an aside I have 2 pairs of Hella H4 kits for sale... new never opened, includes Hella bulbs and everything you need to upgrade.

$75 a pair

PS: Terry I know you'll be reading this
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: