Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-25-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
chromius
6th Gear Member

Clutch is going I think....

okay, here is the problem....when the car is warmed up and I have been driving a while, when starting from a stop the car kinda shutters a little bit....does this mean the clutch is going? or the pressure plate is almost worn out? Also, at all times when in 1st or 2nd gear when I push the clutch pedal in while moving there is almost like a clunking noise (hard to explain) almost sounds like a rattle in the tranny or diff....I would really like some help with this. any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:09 AM   #2
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Do you get the clunking noise only on 1st into 2nd gear shifts??
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:15 AM   #3
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Basically you gotta tell me if the sound occurs when the pedal is moved,when in neutral,when in gear or when the clutch pedal is held down to the floor?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:15 PM   #4
chromius
6th Gear Member

When driving in first or second gear, under just normal driving conditions. I push the clutch pedal in and when the engine disengages from the driveline that is when I hear the clunking noise. Its hard to explain, but it almost seams like its worse when I am just driving slowly and coasting to a stop and the car is slowing down....then I clutch and its a clunk that sounds like its comming from the diff or tranny. I just had the trans mounts replaced, so could the diff mounts be shot as well? This problem could be a completely different one from the shudder when starting from a stop...I'm not sure. Hope this makes a little more sense. Thanks
Old 11-26-2003, 09:41 PM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

it could be your subframe bushings...or maybe your clutch/gas co-ordination...

read the articles and tips on www.bmwe30.net and see...check the suspension page and transmission page

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:57 PM   #6
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
it could be your subframe bushings...or maybe your clutch/gas co-ordination...

read the articles and tips on www.bmwe30.net and see...check the suspension page and transmission page
I don't think its my clutch/gas combination....it just started doing it recently, and I have tried varying my gas...no difference. (and I have been driving manual for quite a while... ) Thanks for the site though...I will check it out.

Is it a big deal to change subframe mounts?
Old 11-26-2003, 11:21 PM   #7
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

its hard for me to tell you the problem from just a description,i would have to drive and most likely inspect and listen.From your description i think its a grabbing clutch,grabbing clutch produces a severe vibration or jerking motion when the vechile is accelerated from standstill,its usually caused by a clutch disc,pressure plate or maybe even a flywheel.My second guess would be a pilot bearing or a throw out bearing but like i said i would have to drive the car to determine the problem.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:22 PM   #8
Furious
BMW again.

a shudder is a good first sign of the clutch going, mine started last thrusday, then the pressure plate blew one week later, of course it will varry from clutch to clutch but its a tell-tell sign
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:29 AM   #9
chromius
6th Gear Member

damn, thats what I was afraid of! I guess its about time I replaced it.

Thanks guys
Old 11-30-2003, 08:22 PM   #10
Furious
BMW again.

if i were you, id buy the clutch kit , then ride this one out. thats what i did , however mine blew within week
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:59 PM   #11
chromius
6th Gear Member

Thats probably what I will do....I will have some fun with this one first!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: