Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-08-2003, 11:03 PM   #16
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by 97 Z3 2.8
Thanks Tom.

Bry,
The manifold holds a larger air restriction and any other single stock part. Headwork will surely help, but free-ing up the major restriction will help you to reap the most benifits. The trick is to upgrade everything from CAI, MAF, TB, - ASC unit, manifold, injectors, Cams, headers, and then you will need headwork to make it really flow. The stock ports are a pretty good design from the factory, although not what the S14, S50B32 ports are. Remember though, these are all hand built engines, where our's are not.

Sorry to get a little "testy on you earlier. You're right, I should've given a little more detail.

Bill
Cool.

I was actually speaking from experience seeing as how I had installed the BMP multi-throttle intake on the M42 before. The only other modifications done at the time was a CAI, chip, throttle body and exhaust. When we tested the car it showed no significant gain. Sure it pulled hard at 5000+RPM's, but there was virtually no power below 4000RPM, which means in the end the car was generally slower. Like Tom said, it shows huge improvements on the track mainly because you always shift at higher RPM's. But in my opinion, the "BMP multi-throttle intake manifold" is not suitable for steet use, which is what the thread was originally about. I know if properly tuned a multi-throttle intake manifold will give you some nice gains. However, like I said before, is it really worth the $6K? I haven't seen the BMP intake in any BMW with headwork, so I can't say from experience whether or not it's actually worth the money. But if you plan to install this particular intake without any headwork? Not worthit.

No worries about before.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:45 PM   #17
97 Z3 2.8
2nd Gear Member

I'm guessing you probably killed alot of torque in that set up.... same as the M50 swap without proper tuning.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:38 PM   #18
magnus
6th Gear Member

Just a thought...but i have seen an E36 318i in Thailand running motorbike carbs on a custom manifold and although i dont know more details the car was putting 146bhp at the wheels while the guy mentioned something about the whole thing not costing too much while also not requiring too much work!!!!It did sound awesome though and went really good too plus it looked completely insane!!!!!!!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:42 AM   #19
97 Z3 2.8
2nd Gear Member

Those guys do some prett crazy stuff. It could be done, but much more tuning than a custom designed kit.
My partner and I are actually working on a individual design that has absolutely no air restriction at WOT.
Anyone want to invest some sub debt?

Bill
Old 12-10-2003, 01:14 AM   #20
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by 97 Z3 2.8
Those guys do some prett crazy stuff. It could be done, but much more tuning than a custom designed kit.
My partner and I are actually working on a individual design that has absolutely no air restriction at WOT.
Anyone want to invest some sub debt?

Bill
I wouldn't mind some more info, PM or email me if you don't want to explain here if possible, thanks.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:28 AM   #21
duffy325
4th Gear Member

I would also be interested Bill. Pm or email me as well.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:00 AM   #22
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

Lightbulb carbies

you can use motorcycle carbs, on a lot of stuff. i was trying to put triple webers (three side draft carb) on a land cruiser motor, and saw this intake and thought maybe for the bimmer. the key is setting up the intake for acoustics and reverberating pressures. it really isnt that difficult. i have just resently moved into fuel injection, other than toyota stuff, thats why i bought the bimmer in the first place. it is funny people think a lot of myths about engines are true but they end up not being. like when you have shorter runners (the intake path) generally in means high horsepower in the mid to upper end and longer ones more torque down low. this can all be disproved with motorcycle motors. my bike has a keihin carb, when i put that on it i accually had to make the intake longer get any kind of extreme power increase, besides nitrous (lets not get started). that is why you can put keihin carbs on cars and get exteme power up to 60% increase but you have to set it up for the application. most of the time you set in up as if you have four engines for a four cylinder, six for a six, etc. just like i was having to jet the webers for six cylinders each one had its own runner. with this manifold you wouldn't have to jet it because it is fuel injected that would be sweet. i have decided not to go with it unless i stroked the motor anyway, its f$$kin' expensive. it would be cheeper to build it. anyway thought ya'll (texas thing) would like this pic with motocycle carbs on a car engine it is a datsun 510 i think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ****inawsome.jpg (52.9 KB, 54 views)
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:02 AM   #23
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

anyway there are cheaper places to buy this stuff http://www.twminduction.com/Throttle...leBodyFAQ.html i you wanted to.
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:36 PM   #24
89325i
2nd Gear Member

How about the gains of a multi throttle body intake set-up on a turbo charged car with tuning. I would think they would be much more significant then in a N/A motor. I always thought about what the mutli throttle body intake set-up would do on my turbo 325i, because the M20 intake manifold is really restrictive. Any thoughts
89325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:11 PM   #25
Bigbore
4th Gear Member

It`s tricky doing a proper box for the velocity stacks for a turbo application, but it`s been done and WHOO there is a hug diff!

With some headwork, ECU work, dyno and just individual throttles, it`s like a small shot of NO2 anyway. Gians are crazy.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:22 PM   #26
89325i
2nd Gear Member

Thanks the reply big bore. Dbilas dynamic makes the mutli throttle body set-up i was looking at for the M20. Its expensive 2,700, but still cheaper the the other route i was looking at. So theres one person who says the gains are alot better with a turbo application. Anybody else
89325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:58 PM   #27
97 Z3 2.8
2nd Gear Member

Thinair, duffy 325,

Sorry about the late reply,
I haven't been on this thread since my last post above.
I'd love to share info, but this idea is so new, so custom -it has never been tried on a car (to the best of our knowledge) that I really can't get into any detail on it. We're in the R&D phase right now, but we both have day jobs so it will take some work to get a working example built. It should be pretty wild once we have a complete unit....

Sorry for the late reply,

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: