Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-25-2003, 01:21 PM   #1
vertakul
6th Gear Member

Traction Control or No Traction Control

Does it make a huge difference? what year did the e36's start coming with it?
vertakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:02 PM   #2
vertakul
6th Gear Member

bump
Old 11-25-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
WASABI
OG

I believe they started in '96, '97 and up for sure (thinair has '97, he did the ASC delete mod, and I have '98, and I have it).

I think they are a pain in the ass sometimes, but it helps out in the rain a lot.

OT- do you have a yellow s2k with hardtop ?
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
I like having the ASC on, it helps in normal driving......The only time I turn it off is if I am going to burnout or racing someone......

If you have traction take it to a road and put two tires on the gravel and two on the pavement and floor it........I was remarkable suprised how well I got going and straight.......It also works with braking, keeps you nice a straight.......

I wouldn't delete mine, there is no point, you can turn it off????!!!

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:55 PM   #5
vertakul
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW_M52_M20
I like having the ASC on, it helps in normal driving......The only time I turn it off is if I am going to burnout or racing someone......

If you have traction take it to a road and put two tires on the gravel and two on the pavement and floor it........I was remarkable suprised how well I got going and straight.......It also works with braking, keeps you nice a straight.......

I wouldn't delete mine, there is no point, you can turn it off????!!!
What's ASC? So you're saying it makes a big difference?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:57 PM   #6
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

I am pretty sure it stands for Assited Stability Control, and yes, I think it makes quite a difference just when you over steer the car to much or in slippery situations.......
Jay

2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
Old 11-25-2003, 06:58 PM   #7
WASABI
OG

But I think the point of the ASC delete mod is so that you can put on a bigger throttle body or bore out your current one, the throttle body with ASC has air passage restrictions.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
vertakul
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW_M52_M20
I am pretty sure it stands for Assited Stability Control, and yes, I think it makes quite a difference just when you over steer the car to much or in slippery situations.......
Jay
ACS is BMW's version of traction control? I'm confused
Old 11-25-2003, 07:05 PM   #9
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WASABI
But I think the point of the ASC delete mod is so that you can put on a bigger throttle body or bore out your current one, the throttle body with ASC has air passage restrictions.
I know but you are going to take out ASC for a bored out throttle body which makes hardly any difference??? Dosn't make sense, just like the fan delete mod to me as well???? Why chance it in hot weather without having a fan for a couple of hp???? Meh

Oh and to aschon, ASC is BMW's version of traction/stabilty control.....
JAY

2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
Old 11-25-2003, 07:08 PM   #10
vertakul
6th Gear Member

can you get traction control by upgradin suspension or is there some sort of upgrade.. im car illiterate.. wonderin if there is some aftermarket way of adding this to the car.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:19 PM   #11
WASABI
OG

Jay, I hear ya man ! But if I was doing some extensive motor work (NA or FI), I'd probably consider those mods. Thinair mentioned his throttle response was better after the mod.

Aschon, traction control is done electronically. Something to do with some sensors that senses if a wheel is spinning, which gets sent to a processor which in turn controls the traction control. Are you thinking of adding this your S2K ? Is it yellow btw, with a hard top ?
Old 11-26-2003, 01:09 AM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Ok guys, let me clear some stuff up:

I did the ASC delete (in which you replace the traction control/ASC throttle body with a rubber elbow from an M-coupe). I did it for a few reasons:
1. The first thing I did after I turned my car on was to press the ASC button (turning it off), I hate how non-subtle it is when it cuts the engine power. I think I am capable of modulating my accelerator myself.
2. I have a limited slip differential, I don't need the ASC module to brake the one rear wheel that is peeling out. The LSD does that now (more efficiently too).
3. The traction control/ASC throttle body is actually a bottleneck in the intake path. The ASC throttle body is smaller in diameter then the main throttle body, and it sits at a very non-aerodynamic 45 angle behind the main throttle body.
4. The 90 rubber boot that replaces the ASC throttle body and a 45 rubber boot cost me less then $30. The whole ASC delete procedure took me 10 minutes to do, and is completely reversable in another 10 minutes (if I wanted to winter my car for example). Two hose clamps, two 10mm bolts, disconnect the cable and harness and you're done.
5. I am boring out my main throttle body eventually, and installing the M50 manifold (and I have a CAI). Why open up the intake like that, but leave the ASC throttle body in to clog everything up? And yes, there is a slight gain in throttle response, anything that makes the engine breath or spin easier is going to gain throttle response.
6. I am throttle happy
7. I like to drift/power slide at random

There are also aftermarket traction control systems available that I am told work really well (way better then stock) and are adjustable for wheel slip and such. Appearently they're good for launch control.

Also, the fan delete mod is cheaper then underdrive pullies for example, and is proven to give more power gains and response. The only risk I run is the electric fan dying on me, and it really only even works when the car stops moving in hot weather (parking after a hard run, or in stop and go traffic). You'd be suprised how efficient water wetter works. Plus the coolant gauge would slowly go up if the fan died (in which case I'd crank the heater to full and drive to a higher speed to cool the rad)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Its habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Im Nelson, and Im a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 11-26-2003 at 01:13 AM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: