Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-21-2002, 07:38 PM   #1
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Maaco Paint?

My car is from ATL so its got no rust but its Faded BAD really bad and looks like ass, outside. So Id like to get it painted But bening a diswasher I don't have oddles of money, so I am wondering if there paint jobs are any good (durability and quality wise). I wouldn't go for the cheapest one they have but not the most expensive either.

Im goin to go to a body shop tomarrow after school and see what they give in an estimate..

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 03:18 PM   #2
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Maaco doesn't take very good care of their work(but that also varies from shop to shop)

if you dont mind me asking how much are they quoting you?

i had an excellent paintjob on my fiero done for $800 through a friend of my mechanic.(you can see a pic in the rides section, very nice red dupont paint) that included lots of body work and prepping too

maaco's idea of sanding and prepping is coat your car with an acid that etches the paint then touches up some areas and then sprays with one or two coats of paint. it's really horrible and i should mention lots of overspray.

the proper way would be to sand it down properly, fix up the rust spots with body filler, prime the car, then paint with at least 3 coats and 1 coat of clear (2 if you can...clearcoat is cheap)

here's a tip
do the body work yourself, up to the point of priming
if you can, prime and tape up the car yourself too before hand

then pay the extra money to maaco to spray a couple times extra with the paint and clear

i dont trust their body work that's all

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 03:27 PM   #3
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
i got quoted 2200 today

theres no rust or much need for body work (no dents tec)

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 04-22-2002, 03:56 PM   #4
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Maaco....

I can give you an honest opinion about them. Last Nov when I bought my Civic wagon It needed a paint job BADLY. I went to the paint shop I always go to first (they did my E30 and Straight_6's too) and got a quote. The car had tons of rust HOLES in the fenders and rear hatch. They quoted me $1100 but needed the car for like 3 weeks. I couldn't be without it for that long so I went to Maaco 3 doors down and was quoted the same price but finished in 3 days. I went with them. Not a good idea. At least they welded steel over the rust holes instead of Bondo, but the masking job was a joke... like a 2 year old's coloring book... overspray everywhere. A few runs, and some parts weren't even sanded down (AT ALL!) The worst part is the type of paint they use... it's some special crap that doesn't require clear coat... YEAH RIGHT! Dude, you should see the stone chips I got now after 6 months. I got the car Rust Checked 4 days after the paint job and the rust is starting to creep out in the fenders and door jams. To make things worse, my friend Peter was in the same situation with his '90 Integra (bought for $1100 with rust galore) and I told him to go to MY ORIGINAL guy. He had it done for $1300 in 3 weeks time and the car is literally the same quality as my E30.... show car material. I totally regreat not going there for the 3 week job. I'm actually considering writing MAACO a letter with pics of their garbage and seeing if they'll do something since I didn't exactly get a $400 job. DON"T GO THERE.

My paint shop:

Unique Auto Collision
1240 Crestlawn Dr,
Mississauga, ON
L4W 1A6

(905)625-4886

Ask for Frank and tell him Randy sent you. Located near Club108 in Mississauga.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 08:22 PM   #5
Lil'Smoothie

i'm looking for a paint place for the summer to touch up the M3 and my 325is but I want a place that will work on the car steadily and not just push it outside and work on it little bits at a time, my friend just got his RX7 painted. He got it repainted white, he paid 2400, and they did a great job in 6 days, including some body work
Old 04-22-2002, 09:50 PM   #6
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

1300 thats what im talkin about! I can affoard that Ill call up that shop tomarrow thanx dude

My car will look so much better with paint...

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 04-22-2002, 11:15 PM   #7
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Originally posted by SPURS21
but I want a place that will work on the car steadily and not just push it outside and work on it little bits at a time
I know what you're talking about,,, but for the record that's not what I was getting at. This place is (literally) huge and they have an "assembly line" format working in the back with 15+ guys. Nothing is ever left "outside".

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 04-22-2002, 11:57 PM   #8
E36COMPACT
2nd Gear Member

Hey Randy, do you think UNIQUE AUTO would do a good job on the front bumper sides and rear (as I have the two-tone ) Just want it to match the body. I also have a front lip spoiler and eyelids that need the same coat.....do you think those guys would do it for around $300. Also, not sure if you know this but a mechanic at bmw-miss told me that they should use a special vinyl primer for the front and rear bumpers called "vinyl wash" or something like that....know anything about it?
E36COMPACT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:18 AM   #9
EMPOWERD

Not sure about the vinyl wash. I also can't quote prices for you on the grey E36 skirts, but a good bet would be around the $700 mark for all that work.... it's not so much the amount of paint they use, rather the bother of prep and masking etc....

Call them and try.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 04-23-2002, 12:35 AM   #10
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
i think the type of paint maaco uses is an enamel based paint
i was given the choice of using regular paint with clear coat or enamel paint.

The beauty of enamel paint is it's much more durable, and has a permanent gloss to it. Problem is, if you get a rock chip or a scratch, it has to be completely repainted (or that section does at least), unlike with clear coat where you can lightly wet sand it and reclear the paint, you can't do that with enamel.

there's just something about using 6 coats of clear that i prefer though.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:55 PM   #11
BLACKKNIGHT
2nd Gear Member

if the paint is faded, why dont you just get the car buffed..
We painted the front end of a car yesterday.it looked hilarious. because the old paint was so dull. I polished it with a high speed polisher and some compound. the thing looks mint
you can get your car done for anywhere between 150-200 bucks
Maybe its all your car needs..It could save you alot of $$$$$$$$
BLACKKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:56 PM   #12
BLACKKNIGHT
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah

dont go to maaco
BLACKKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 04:38 PM   #13
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

You can see how bad my car needs paint in the rides section

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 05-09-2002, 12:15 AM   #14
vodomagoo
2nd Gear Member

maco is crap tue crap, i know a kid who brought his celica there(rice true rice by the way) and it took them like 4 paint jobs to get it right and they never sanded the car down lol it felt like sand paper. my car has been in the shop for 4+ weeks now and its comming along realy well. the car is 99.5% body filler free, the 1 rust area (license plate lights cracked) was remove and new metal was put in and antenna hole is shaved. the car will be out soon, good things take time.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:30 PM   #15
328power
GAS GUZZLER !!

Ha Ha

I went to Maaco yesterday to get an estimate on painting my Grey Skirts and my eyelids....

He said 350 + tax for the skirt and the eyelid with ClearCoat

I noticed Young Guys Working their and wasnt sure if i should go with them.....

I think i have to go for another Estimate

S.p

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: