Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2003, 01:45 AM   #16
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
How does this make your car handle better? The wheels aren't wider and the turning radius is unchanged unless you only use the spaces in the front or rear and not on both.

Bryan
You're pushing the wheels out for a wider track. Imagine building a table. The further towards the outside the legs are, the more stable it is. Or, think about you standing. Put both feet together and have someone shove you. You would fall. Now, spread your feel apart a bit. Takes more to upset your balance.

Hope my rudimentary examples helped.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:50 AM   #17
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor
 
Jon@Bimmersport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 13,774
is that really true or something u jus made up that happens to make sense??

makes sense to me though
__________________

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:13 AM   #18
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
is that really true or something u jus made up that happens to make sense??
Yes, and, um, yes.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:18 AM   #19
thinair
moderationistismingly
 
thinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 8,790
Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by MatyBMW
But spacers make your car look better also by pushing the wheels out. Also, you don't get vibration with hubcentric spacers because the weight of the wheel lies on the hub of the spacer.
Actually you still can, I've heard of some pretty crappy spacers out there that just weren't machined properly that caused vibrations.
__________________
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:06 PM   #20
AMI Motorsports
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, ON
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
You're pushing the wheels out for a wider track. Imagine building a table. The further towards the outside the legs are, the more stable it is. Or, think about you standing. Put both feet together and have someone shove you. You would fall. Now, spread your feel apart a bit. Takes more to upset your balance.

Hope my rudimentary examples helped.
Thanks Mystikal, that is correct and a good example.

The wheel spacers we sell are from FK Automotive. They are made in Germany.

Of course there are crapy spacers out there that are not machined properly. We have never had a complaint about this with the FK spacers.

Rob
__________________
Authorized distributor for FK Automotive, Rieger Tuning (all original parts, NO copies!!), Konigseder Tuning
Coilovers, Body Kits, Taillights & more...
AMI Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #21
kco325
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Victoria
Posts: 23
Ermm
Where did you peoples buy your longer wheel bolts? I'd need 12 regular and 4 locking.
I'm unable to find any long enough for my 3/8th inch H%R spacers, the longest is Gorilla M12x1.6"
and 4 threads isn't enough for me.
kco325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #22
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,305
ive been meaning to do the spacers with stock rims for a while now
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:22 PM   #23
bart320i
6th Gear Member
 
bart320i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,592
I got 10mm spacers with my 18" wheels. They came with the wheels so I just put them on. No issues yet. My bushings have never been replaced so I changing all of them in the spring.

Can anyone tell me the differences between rubber and urethane bushings. I don't want a squeky ride and I don't do too much aggresive driving but I do enjoy the curves.
__________________
bart320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:57 PM   #24
Marecar
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 297
Send a message via ICQ to Marecar
I cant believe nooneknows about a downside to using spacers!!!

on the rear its ok, you can use as wide as you want on any kind of tireand it does improove the handling of the rear as you said longer wheel base.
BUT !!! its not as simple on the front you cant increase the wheel base there. the only way you can use spacers is if your rims are not to spec with bmw regulations.
damn this is gona be hard to explain.
you can use wider rims in the front but as long as they are wider by the same amount on both inside and outside (id your rim is wider by 10 mm then original it has to be 5 mm wider on the outside and 5 mm wider on the inside) if the rim has a different offset then you have ti use spacers to center the rim.
if you guys still dont understand what im talking about ill try and draw it for you. but its a relatively serious isue.
__________________
Speed never killed anyone, its the sudden stops that hurt!!!
Marecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #25
thinair
moderationistismingly
 
thinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 8,790
Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Marecar
if you guys still dont understand what im talking about ill try and draw it for you. but its a relatively serious isue.
I understand what you're saying, but what is the serious issue?

That means that everyone running rims wider then 7.5" is having a serious issue?

I know guys auto-xing their cars with 9" wide rims all around with 15mm spacers up front, no problems.

And with my coilovers, I can't even fit the stock 15" wheels with 205 rubber without a 5mm spacer.
__________________
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 02-20-2004 at 03:48 PM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:47 AM   #26
Marecar
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 297
Send a message via ICQ to Marecar
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair


I know guys auto-xing their cars with 9" wide rims all around with 15mm spacers up front, no problems.
Im not sure that you understand me 100% difference between 7.5 and a 9" rim is 1.5" thats about 35 mm and if he used 15 mm spacer means that that particular rim was probably extended on the inside by say 25mm and outside by 10 so he had to use that spacer to return the wheel in the centre.
__________________
Speed never killed anyone, its the sudden stops that hurt!!!
Marecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:48 AM   #27
thinair
moderationistismingly
 
thinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 8,790
Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Marecar
Im not sure that you understand me 100% difference between 7.5 and a 9" rim is 1.5" thats about 35 mm and if he used 15 mm spacer means that that particular rim was probably extended on the inside by say 25mm and outside by 10 so he had to use that spacer to return the wheel in the centre.
Not exactly.... The reason the front ones need 15mm spacers is because if they're not there the tire will hit the spring on the strut. On the rear there is a lot more clearance.

Like with my 8" wheel (40mm offset), I need a 5mm spacer in the front to clear the strut. If I was to run a 9" wheel (with 40mm offset) I'd need a 15mm spacer. The wheel would be more off center with the 9" wheel, the front track would be wider, right?

The purpose of offset is to position the center of the wheel roughly around the axis that the wheel steers on right? Spacers generally push the wheel away from that axis (unless that wheel's offset wasn't made for that vehicle)
__________________
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #28
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally posted by Marecar
BUT !!! its not as simple on the front you cant increase the wheel base there. the only way you can use spacers is if your rims are not to spec with bmw regulations.
damn this is gona be hard to explain.
you can use wider rims in the front but as long as they are wider by the same amount on both inside and outside (id your rim is wider by 10 mm then original it has to be 5 mm wider on the outside and 5 mm wider on the inside) if the rim has a different offset then you have ti use spacers to center the rim.
if you guys still dont understand what im talking about ill try and draw it for you. but its a relatively serious isue.
And what stock rims are actually that close to the fender? With where my stock rims stand, I can probably fit in a 15mm spacer and still have room to spare.

If what you're saying is true, no one could ever buy wider rims for their car.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:25 AM   #29
Marecar
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 297
Send a message via ICQ to Marecar
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair

The purpose of offset is to position the center of the wheel roughly around the axis that the wheel steers on right? Spacers generally push the wheel away from that axis (unless that wheel's offset wasn't made for that vehicle)
that is corect
and all im saying is that there is the limit to how wide your rims can be and how far you can push it out.
safely if you have say 15 mm between the inside of the tire and the shock you should put the rim thats max 30 mm wider than standard (15 on one side and 15 on other) if its just a bit off thats ok.
__________________
Speed never killed anyone, its the sudden stops that hurt!!!
Marecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:32 AM   #30
thinair
moderationistismingly
 
thinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 8,790
Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Marecar
that is corect
and all im saying is that there is the limit to how wide your rims can be and how far you can push it out.
safely if you have say 15 mm between the inside of the tire and the shock you should put the rim thats max 30 mm wider than standard (15 on one side and 15 on other) if its just a bit off thats ok.
Personally I like to get the wheel as close as I can to the shock to keep the tire from rubbing outside of the fender lip. There must be like 2-3mm between my spring and my tire. The tire has never touched it yet. With my 19's there was honestly like 1mm between the inner rim lip and the spring.
__________________
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.