Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-13-2003, 05:56 AM   #16
moerom
6th Gear Member

Turbo.

The charger is maxed out. Also, the motor is small, so he should push for more top end power (accentuate the character of the motor).

What kind of turbo is it? Garrett? SP? IHI?
moerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:56 AM   #17
E4SIXM3
2nd Gear Member

wait what does he plan on doing with the car exactly? is he looking for realiabilty or looking for speed? would u say that a blower is more reliable for everyday driving apposed to the turbo which a bit less reliable for daily driver and more for drag set up? IMO i would say Blower no matter what since your saying he's got 19's and full body its obvious he ain't gonna track it or is he?
E4SIXM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:18 AM   #18
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

why wont he do a motor swap? if he has enough money to do that..he can get a 3.2L in it..240hp plus its all motor, and more torque...but if he cant do that, go with the turbo for sure.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:39 AM   #19
Miguel
...Delt Smash

I'd say it depends on which tuner is doing the turbo.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:56 AM   #20
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Mike, James was running 320wHP @9psi (low boost) and 420wHP @16psi (high boost).

Moe, not sure what turbo it will be.... but I"m sure the sizing will be carefully thought out.

my friend isn't much into motorsports. He might take the car to the strip just to see what it'll do and possible take part in 1 or 2 driving schools. It's mostly for booting around town with a bit more power than he currently has since the 19's slow the acceleration down so much. He also wants to start competing at car shows.

He was considering a motor swap, but ruled it out since he wants to be unique. Tell me a turbo E46 isn't unique? Soon enough there'll be lots of s/c E46's running around.... not too many turbo examples.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:53 PM   #21
golden
Doesn't have a car.

turbo all the way, for one reason:

blow off valve
Old 11-13-2003, 01:09 PM   #22
NickP

I wouldn't go with the AA kit since I'm not a big fan of Rotrex chargers...

Eurosport is coming out with a positive displacement twin screw Supercharger kit with a custom intake manifold, tuning by Jim C... initially they only will have an e36 OBD II kit with the e46 kit to follow... I would probably wait for this to come out...
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:44 PM   #23
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Turbo, for all the reasons posted above.

Also, tell him that if he's not replacing the clutch at the same time, get ready to do it very soon. E46 clutches are sad.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:16 PM   #24
blkm3
3rd Gear Member

TURBO all the way .. I had 3 turbo cars and would not think of going anyother way . RX7, Supra, 300ZX. All amazing cars
not to say bimmers are not good
blkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #25
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Any thought given to

other required upgrades. Somebody mentioned clutch and suspension. I'd look at a brake upgrade. If the car was previously flogged, what kind of shape are the pistons, rings and bottom end in. All that extra pressure might mean blowby. Not sure what the deal is with modern BMW motors and blowers but you usually want to run a lower compression ratio than stock. Anyway, good luck man.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:18 PM   #26
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by NickP
I wouldn't go with the AA kit since I'm not a big fan of Rotrex chargers...

Eurosport is coming out with a positive displacement twin screw Supercharger kit with a custom intake manifold, tuning by Jim C... initially they only will have an e36 OBD II kit with the e46 kit to follow... I would probably wait for this to come out...
I'm with NickP, this twin screw supercharger from Eurosport/Jim C is supposed to be really nice. I'd wait it out for a bit.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:22 PM   #27
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

i'd put twin turbo lol
Old 11-13-2003, 04:29 PM   #28
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Your concerned about how fast you want to go but what happens when you want to stop. Do you think you stock brakes will hold it. HAHA no chace trust me. I suggest you save your cash for brakes, new clutch suspension then worry about going fast
Old 11-13-2003, 05:22 PM   #29
Jattdee328
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greekthang
Your concerned about how fast you want to go but what happens when you want to stop. Do you think you stock brakes will hold it. HAHA no chace trust me. I suggest you save your cash for brakes, new clutch suspension then worry about going fast
Greekthang knows nothing about going fast!!!!!!!!

HaVaaa vich kadey nee chiraag jug de...Juch de PUNJABI nahiyoon binna PUG de
Jattdee328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:14 PM   #30
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jattdee328
Greekthang knows nothing about going fast!!!!!!!!
Anytime your ready to put your money where your mouth is then come and challenge me and find out. I will show you how much I know about going fast and I will show you my rear tail lights as well !!!!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: