Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-13-2003, 03:03 AM   #1
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

DILEMMA!!! E46 Turbo or Supercharger???

Guys, I have a good friend with a black '99 E46 323i that has saved up enough money to get 1 of 2 things....

1) Custom turbo kit from a very reputable tuner. Kit includes turbo, wastegate, intercooler, BOV, manifold, piping, software programming and has warranty. Installed and turn-key with approx 250rwHP from 8psi
2) AA Supercharger kit for the same price, he installs it at home with tools. Kit boasts also 250rwHP @8psi and uses an Austrian Rotex blower with aftercooler.

--Turbo will be installed and dyno tuned locally so service can be easily attainable. Boost can also be turned up in the future easily once a decision is made to strengthen internals.
--AA's Rotex supercharger is max'd out @8psi and tech support is limited to phone calls. They do have much R&D behind the kit though.
--Both almost identical price, except the turbo is installed.

WHAT WOULD YOU GET?

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 11-13-2003 at 03:34 AM.
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:05 AM   #2
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
hmmm, thats a tough one, I have always been biast towards superchargers.....I love the whine, I imagine he would have to worry about turbo lag, or would he?!

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:08 AM   #3
Gscott_80
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Gscott_80
Turbocharger sounds like the better deal in this equation. Shop tuned and installed, can be serviced by someone who knows the system. Most aftermarket part manufaturers will only warranty items if installed by a shop, and the shop should also warrant the work done as far as the install goes. No competition here.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:08 AM   #4
EMPOWERD

don't think there would be much lag, but he'll definitely see better fuel economy from the turbo car when driving normal if he stays out of boost. The blower uses a lot of parasidic drag on the crank.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 11-13-2003, 03:10 AM   #5
///m powered
dodging pylons

Send a message via AIM to ///m powered Send a message via MSN to ///m powered
turbo
Old 11-13-2003, 03:10 AM   #6
BMWF1

Solution: E46 M3 engine swap, get that one off ebay i posted
Old 11-13-2003, 03:12 AM   #7
jeremy
6th Gear Member

i would go custom turbo.....i assume he would only get parts warranty on the supercharger since he would be doing the instal....with the turbo he would have warranty if something went wrong with the instal, right ?
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:12 AM   #8
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Whats the price difference between the two? I guess it seem like the turbo is much more expandable in terms of performance.....Is his suspension beefed up to handle the power as well as other important items? I guess you have to account some extra cash for that.....
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:21 AM   #9
EMPOWERD

Both the same price... suspension has H&R coilovers, cat back exhaust, 19" wheels, full body kit, yada, yada, yada....

No motor swaps.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 11-13-2003 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:25 AM   #10
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Itz a tough decision... but I think I'd lean more towards the Turbo in this situation.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:42 AM   #11
Jattdee328
5th Gear Member

Id say turbo, Casue the SC is way more harder on the tranny cause the higher the RPM the faster the blower spind, I would go Turbo casue its more versitile(SP) in the furute, once he gets stronger internals, that turbos power is all upto how much the block can hold, where as to the SC is maxed unless he takes the charger apart to change the pulley, but that always makes boost max out quicker making more stess on the tranny, I like the turbo idea, better for traction as well, SC make massive off the line power, where as the turbo spools up an a certain RPM range thus giving better take offs. but hey what do I know!

Harps

HaVaaa vich kadey nee chiraag jug de...Juch de PUNJABI nahiyoon binna PUG de
Jattdee328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:46 AM   #12
EMPOWERD

you're right Harpri, the blower would be harder on this clutch for one, plus the turbine is maxed out pushing cfm's.... no matter what pulley goes on.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 11-13-2003, 04:11 AM   #13
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Randy,

Get the one that offers the BEST software tuning. Either one is crap if the maps are all out of whack.

Since his car is OBD-II there is only a hand full of people who can properly tune an OBD-2 car. AA is one of the companies that know what they are doing.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
you're right Harpri, the blower would be harder on this clutch for one, plus the turbine is maxed out pushing cfm's.... no matter what pulley goes on.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:20 AM   #14
EMPOWERD

I know what you're saying Serge... that was one of my concerns... but like I said, this turbo tuner is very experienced with tuning F/I cars and mastered OBD-II diagnostics.

This thread is under the assumption that both kits will be properly tuned and turn-key.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 11-13-2003, 05:11 AM   #15
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Randy,

I'd personally say Turbo, not b/c I'm a Turbo biased freak, but it offers lots of room for improvement. My guess is that if he waits it out AA will eventually come out with kits for the E46's. They probably don't have a kit right now b/c most E46's are still under the manufaturer's warrenty.

But this is my personal thoughts. If you have a very knowledgable tuner, time is not a big issue, or you're a very hands on guy, then custom is the way to go. There's a guy on B/F who's running a custom T3/T4 w/T60-1 compressor. On stock compression @ 8psi he's pushing 406WHP with timing not optimized but set conservatively. James only puts out approximately 385whp or so @ 8.5psi as stated by Jon a while ago (figures should be around there).

Plus going turbo allows him/her to play with boost levels. As long as the car runs fine from all the dyno tuning, then you got yourself a deal via custom work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: