Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Photography
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-11-2003, 03:39 AM   #1
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Digital camera for ~$200 usd

Ok, I want a new digicam since my panasonic "shit-pics" camera isnt cutting it anymore. Here is what it must be able to do:

-have good resolution pictures for a change, probably something of higher quality or around 1024 X 768

-needs to be able to set exposure settings, so I can take some good night pictures

-good quality video clips, but not ones that cut out after like 30 secs (but I am flexible)

Anyone know what some good cameras are? If anyone has a camera they own, for around that price, can u guys put up some pics so I can see the resolution. Thank you
Old 11-11-2003, 03:57 AM   #2
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

look for a used Olympus c-720 that has 3 megapixels, 8xzoom and glass lens along with all the manual settings you would want. It also has ISO settings of up to 400 to help you with those night shots. It might cost you about 250 - 300 used but it will be worth it. Try dpreview forums for some fire sales or check out some places like Just Cameras near Dundas/Dixie for used stuff.

Good luck

BTW, you're too easy too please if you just want 1024 x 768 res.
you need to go much higher and the 720 will do that at 1984x1488

Last edited by WhadUpp; 11-11-2003 at 04:04 AM.
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:04 AM   #3
mkgino
6th Gear Member

ok, I have never heard of the olympus. Here are some of the cameras that I am considering:

Nikon Coolpix 3100
Canon Powershot A60 or A70
hewlett packard 735

I am leaning towards the Canon, since I they know how to make a good digicam. Only thing I dont like about these ones is that they run on damn regular batteries rather than a rechargable battery.

WhadUpp, do you have some sample photos from the Olympus? Can you post up a high resolution pic, and also a vid if u have one too? Thanks man
Old 11-11-2003, 04:23 AM   #4
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Ok, I am really leaning towards the Canon A70 now, here is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 981116_1612.jpg (176.1 KB, 240 views)
Old 11-11-2003, 04:24 AM   #5
Gamite

Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino
ok, I have never heard of the olympus. Here are some of the cameras that I am considering:

Nikon Coolpix 3100
Canon Powershot A60 or A70
hewlett packard 735

I am leaning towards the Canon, since I they know how to make a good digicam. Only thing I dont like about these ones is that they run on damn regular batteries rather than a rechargable battery.

WhadUpp, do you have some sample photos from the Olympus? Can you post up a high resolution pic, and also a vid if u have one too? Thanks man
Out of those choices, I'd definately pic the A70, there's a canon A80 comming out soon (4MP) u might wanna wati for that.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:26 AM   #6
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
Out of those choices, I'd definately pic the A70, there's a canon A80 comming out soon (4MP) u might wanna wati for that.
I think it would be too expenisve though. I would like to see a night picture with the canon, I am almost positive that it should have an exposure setting. How is the vid quality, anyone know?
Old 11-11-2003, 04:30 AM   #7
mkgino
6th Gear Member

how long do the 4 AA Alkaline Batteries usually last for on average? How much do they cost also?
Old 11-11-2003, 05:11 AM   #8
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhadUpp
... not sure but a set of 4 alkaline are about 4 or 5 bucks

I cant seem tp get my pics on here mkgino maybe you can help me here. the pic i wanted to post was 8 kb so it doesnt fit, i think its too big and not sure how to resize it
Ya, just send them to mkgino@yahoo.com. I would still like to see them.

Now I think I am going to go with the Canon, because it seems like the best camera for its price. I didnt want to spend $240 for another camera, but damn, my B-day is coming up and I deserve it

Oh, and I was reading a review for the Canon A70 and saw this pic showing its LCD Display,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lcdmonitor.jpg (12.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 11-11-2003, 05:14 AM   #9
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

check for them now in ur yahoo, let me know if you got them

Last edited by WhadUpp; 11-11-2003 at 05:20 AM.
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:27 AM   #10
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

The Canon is also nice, u cant go wrong with that choice, and u should get what u want on your b-day
Old 11-11-2003, 05:37 AM   #11
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Ok Whaddup I just got the pic, damn that is nice quality also. It is about the same price as the Canon too. I guess I cant go wrong with either choice. Thanks for your help
Old 11-11-2003, 02:27 PM   #12
Miguel
...Delt Smash

The canon A70 has a reputation as being the best bang for the buck camera around. You can Ebay it or buy it from Amazon.com (free shipping, and use a $50 of $300 coupon, brings the price to $250Usd = $329 Cdn.)

Or for a bit more you can get the Canon PowerShot S50 for CAD$587.26 at eCOST.com
Old 11-11-2003, 03:33 PM   #13
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

mk,

Olympus makes very good digi cams. however, the 720 or 7xx Series WhadUpp mentioned is probably over your budget. maybe used like he suggested.

a new digi cam in your price range i would recommend would be the A70 hands down.
every review i've read (within the same class) always puts the A70 on top.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:10 PM   #14
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Well I kinda want to get a camera from a store that I can return it to if something goes wrong.

Now I can get the A70 From Best Buy for about $299 usd (we have no tax in MA), but that is $100 over my price range. Then like $50 for the damn rechargable batteries with charger, another $50 for a memory card and Im up to $400. Damn!!

So I was thinking to just get the A60, the quality is more than I would ever need I think. ITs about $229 and ALL the options are exactly the same as the 3.2 MP, except it takes the max pics it can take are like 1600 X 1200, rather than the A70 that can take 2048 X 1536.

Now both sizes are HUGE, way larger than I would ever need. All the other options are basically identical give or take. What would u guys do? Can you justify the extra $$70-100 for just an extra pic level that I probably wont use anyway??

The only real reason that I would get the A70 would be more for the video feature. It has a max quality of 640 X480, whereas the A60 was only 320 X 240.

Last edited by mkgino; 11-11-2003 at 05:16 PM.
mkgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:14 PM   #15
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
If thats really the only difference, then I'd just go with the A60 if I was in your position.... I almost never set my camera to 2048 X 1536.... usually have it at 1600 X 1200

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: