Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-10-2003, 11:00 PM   #16
BimmerMan
4th Gear Member

Location: Cleveland OH, formerly West Palm Beach FL, formerly Mississauga ON
Send a message via ICQ to BimmerMan Send a message via AIM to BimmerMan
I have owned a passport 7500 and now own an 8500. I lived in Mississauga and commuted up to Barrie for school regularly. I have the radar wired in at the top of my window, and NEVER turn it off (even when the car is parked). I used it in Ontario and abroad for 2 years, and since I got the radar, haven't gotten a ticket....and those of you who know me, know I don't drive slow by any means. Cops in Ontario do use laser, but from my experience, laser is used more within the cities (ie. mississauga) for some reason. I got TONNES of radar readings from the OPP. I have heard lots of good things about the V1 but just can't afford it right now, and really don't have a reason to buy it right now either. I am very happy with the Passport 8500. It has saved me SO many times. It give so much warning, that I sometimes think that it is a false signal, and start speeding up after about 500-800 meters, then I see the cop.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #17
BigD
the misanthropist

That's bizarre. Cheap bastards. I always speed except for school and residential zones and I've never had a speeding ticket. I'm tired of driving paranoid all the time but I still don't think there is any viable solution.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:55 AM   #18
app
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMWF1
app NEVER put that in your car, get ready to bend over if you have that thing on and your driving by a cop,,,I have seen many people using a V1 in windsor and area, noone has made a single complaint
Well then! I'll have to look further into the v1.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:55 AM   #19
app
5th Gear Member

Is laser where they have it setup on the tripod?
Old 11-11-2003, 03:08 PM   #20
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

yeah...laser needs to be precisely aimed...and is very accurate when aimed properly
Old 11-11-2003, 05:15 PM   #21
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
Re: Re: laser detection

Quote:
Originally posted by BigD
Unless the cop is using a horrendeously outdated system, I know for a fact that not to be true. Being in the machine vision business, me and my dad go to all kinds of industrial imaging conferences and over 3 years ago, we were at one where a company was displaying its latest technology for cops. The specs are very clear about the capture time. It was around a quarter of a second.

In fact, in first year, they had a speed trap set up outside of my dorm in Waterloo, and I went to see how it works. I watched him catch a guy. He aimed it, pressed a button, and he had the speed (poor bastard was going 92 in a 60, I pointed him out too LOL). No 15 seconds, no repeat measurements.
I know that laser radar reacts instantly but apparently it's not abnormal for the laser to sometimes have a hard time locking onto certain vehicle's (they calim that paint color sometimes has a role in it cause black will absorb most of the laser beam and not let it return back to the gun to give a good reading) so this is what they claim to base the fact that you won't necesarilly get caught if you have a laser jammer in your car....

Im pretty sure i got that info from this site.....whether or not its true...u can look for urself if you'd like....

http://radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=8502

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: