Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 03:44 AM   #1
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA
 
325iSBimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Aurora/London
Posts: 1,399
Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
Radar Detectors

im looking to buy a radar detector and I've been doing a lot of research on it. So far I've come to this conclusion.

The Valentine V1 is a great detector which most people will recommend but some web sites like, radartest.com, say that it comes third to the Escort Passport 8500 and the Bel 890. At the same time though there are other web sites that state the radartest.com is not a reliable source because they stated that the V1 was "By far the largest and heaviest unit tested" when in actual fact its no bigger than some of the competitors and not the heaviest. Now if they can't get the weight and dimensions right how can u trust them to test the rest of the features and ability's of radar detectors with such biased opinions.

So, as i looked else where for test results and information i have found that at 007radardetectors.com they claim to have the best radar/laser detector/scrambler/jammer. It's called the Stealth 430 (Model # RMR-C430).

So, what I'd like to know is; can anyone vouche for this Stealth 430 device and if not can anyone give me their own personal opinion on which model is the best.

any help would be appreciated...

Thanks
__________________
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
325iSBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
app
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,005
You NEED to have Spectre RDD protection. This is not VG2. From what I understand, V1 doesn't have Spectre protection. Spectre is extremely popular in Ontario. Most police have it. I know for a fact that I can cannot make it from Barrie to Toronto without a cop having Spectre running.
__________________
Luke
92' 325i
app is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
FastM3
is dreaming of ///M's
 
FastM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: -
Posts: 5,898
I hear of a lot of people in Ontario and in the southern states use Valentine 1 and I have never heard a complaint from them yet!
FastM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
duffy325
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kentville NS Canada
Posts: 609
My friend went on the gumball 3000 in 2002 using a Valentine 1 and he said it never failed them, while other cars escorts, passports etc... failed the test.
IMO the V1 is the best you can buy. And if you have the $$$ you may want to consider getting the backlight mirror option to hide the V1 so the chances of getting caught with it are drasticlly reduced.
__________________
duffy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,754
In my family we own about 5 different detectors. None of them have left the basement since we got the V1 last summer. This thing is amazing, and the arrows are VERY helpful.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Question

What I don't understand is how these things actually protect you? No one uses (or should use) actual "radar" anymore so you can forget about stray signals. The only way for you to detect a laser signal is for it to be aimed at you. It takes a fraction of a second for the reader to catch the speed. So that alarm going off should only mean that you were just had. Laser light almost doesn't diffuse (if you shine a laser pointer at the moon, the spot will be about .5-1 m in diameter) and the odds of you catching a "bounce" off someone else are microscopic. Perhaps the detector companies have found a way to defy physics, but I think that you're either seeing a coincedence of the detector going off and a cop actually being there, or the idiots actually have a true radar gun still active.

I'm sure the radar detector law is only in the traffic act, so they shouldn't be able to do anything if you're just walking with it. I would really appreciate it if someone could find a speed trap (shouldn't be hard in Peel nowadays) and sit across the road from them, and see if it goes off reliably (you should be able to tell when it's actually being used cause they're usually only standing by it when using it).

I want to get one too but it just doesn't make sense to me that it should work.
__________________
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:58 PM   #7
app
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,005
I think you can actually get laser diffusers, that it confuses the signal somehow.
__________________
Luke
92' 325i
app is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally posted by app
I think you can actually get laser diffusers, that it confuses the signal somehow.
Yes, they're supposed to work well - but only in USA.

Can you imagine driving by an OPP laser trap, and his laser shows you're going at 2 km/h while you're actually flyin' by...

*That'll be ten years at Milhaven!!!!*
No parole!!!
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #9
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 363
Beltronics Vector 985 is a pretty good unit, and it's made in Mississauga.

You can't buy it here, but you can get it in Buffalo at Circut City.

BTW, it will be detected by the Spectre (Spectrum?) radar detector detector (like all the others including the Valentine) carried by the OPP...that's new technology - VG2, and VG3 are ancient technology...

Use only in US....
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:56 PM   #10
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member
 
M3ti Compact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,465
I think Radartest.com is paid for by Bel and Escort...lol...Car and Driver keep rating V1 the best...

The trick is don't leave the detector on once it has detected. Switch it off once it's detected something.
__________________
M3ti Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:17 PM   #11
BMWF1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
app NEVER put that in your car, get ready to bend over if you have that thing on and your driving by a cop,,,I have seen many people using a V1 in windsor and area, noone has made a single complaint
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:17 PM   #12
BMWF1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Other then kissing it and thanking god they have it after driving through a speed trap
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #13
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA
 
325iSBimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Aurora/London
Posts: 1,399
Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
laser detection

Quote:
Originally posted by BigD
What I don't understand is how these things actually protect you? No one uses (or should use) actual "radar" anymore so you can forget about stray signals. The only way for you to detect a laser signal is for it to be aimed at you. It takes a fraction of a second for the reader to catch the speed. So that alarm going off should only mean that you were just had. Laser light almost doesn't diffuse (if you shine a laser pointer at the moon, the spot will be about .5-1 m in diameter) and the odds of you catching a "bounce" off someone else are microscopic. Perhaps the detector companies have found a way to defy physics, but I think that you're either seeing a coincedence of the detector going off and a cop actually being there, or the idiots actually have a true radar gun still active.

I'm sure the radar detector law is only in the traffic act, so they shouldn't be able to do anything if you're just walking with it. I would really appreciate it if someone could find a speed trap (shouldn't be hard in Peel nowadays) and sit across the road from them, and see if it goes off reliably (you should be able to tell when it's actually being used cause they're usually only standing by it when using it).

I want to get one too but it just doesn't make sense to me that it should work.
You're absolutely right about the fact that laser detectors are almost nearly impossible to detect untill they have already hit your car. But i found through some research on the net that it is normal for the gun to take up to 15 seconds to get a reading off of some cars because the gun has to get 8 consecutive reading from the same object. Now this new Stealth 430 radar/laser detectors/jammers claim to detect the laser as soon as it hits ur car and then it sends back SOME mixed signals in order to delay the time it takes for the gun to read ur speed and allow u to slow down. Then after about 10-15 seconds it shuts the feature off so that the cop can get a reading of your speed and hopefully by then you'll have slowed down to the allowable speed.
This seems to be the only effective countermeasure against laser radar. Other detectors only let you know that a laser is hiting you but they don't seem to have the "timed jamming" option...

I think im leaning towards this Stealth 430 unit...even though something is telling me to just go with the V1 cause it tried and tested.....

the only thing that turns me off of the V1 is the fact that it was originally designed in 1991 and it hasn't changed much except for a few software updates...radar has changed drastically since the early 90's and im thinking its about time the valentine unit did....

If thy come out with a V2 or something along those lines I will be eager to see what it has to offer
__________________
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
325iSBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:40 PM   #14
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,754
Re: laser detection

Quote:
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
the only thing that turns me off of the V1 is the fact that it was originally designed in 1991 and it hasn't changed much except for a few software updates...radar has changed drastically since the early 90's and im thinking its about time the valentine unit did....

If thy come out with a V2 or something along those lines I will be eager to see what it has to offer
The case has changed significantly since it came out. In overall size, it's actually smaller than a late model Cobra 9-band we have, and VERY close to the rest, I'm talking mm differences. With all of the display info, it's amazing how they fit it all in so legibly.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:33 PM   #15
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Re: laser detection

Quote:
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
You're absolutely right about the fact that laser detectors are almost nearly impossible to detect untill they have already hit your car. But i found through some research on the net that it is normal for the gun to take up to 15 seconds to get a reading off of some cars because the gun has to get 8 consecutive reading from the same object. Now this new Stealth 430 radar/laser detectors/jammers claim to detect the laser as soon as it hits ur car and then it sends back SOME mixed signals in order to delay the time it takes for the gun to read ur speed and allow u to slow down. Then after about 10-15 seconds it shuts the feature off so that the cop can get a reading of your speed and hopefully by then you'll have slowed down to the allowable speed.
This seems to be the only effective countermeasure against laser radar. Other detectors only let you know that a laser is hiting you but they don't seem to have the "timed jamming" option...

I think im leaning towards this Stealth 430 unit...even though something is telling me to just go with the V1 cause it tried and tested.....

the only thing that turns me off of the V1 is the fact that it was originally designed in 1991 and it hasn't changed much except for a few software updates...radar has changed drastically since the early 90's and im thinking its about time the valentine unit did....

If thy come out with a V2 or something along those lines I will be eager to see what it has to offer
Unless the cop is using a horrendeously outdated system, I know for a fact that not to be true. Being in the machine vision business, me and my dad go to all kinds of industrial imaging conferences and over 3 years ago, we were at one where a company was displaying its latest technology for cops. The specs are very clear about the capture time. It was around a quarter of a second.

In fact, in first year, they had a speed trap set up outside of my dorm in Waterloo, and I went to see how it works. I watched him catch a guy. He aimed it, pressed a button, and he had the speed (poor bastard was going 92 in a 60, I pointed him out too LOL). No 15 seconds, no repeat measurements.
__________________
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.