Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-07-2003, 12:16 PM   #16
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by R_JAY
It's about time you bought those lights
This week man, FOR SURE!
Umnitza, redid their website, and now they accept credit cars, so i can order no problem, its just that, i know as soon as my lights get shipped, and my visa gets billed, somethings gonna go on my car (knock on wood) and i won't be able to afford it!
Old 11-07-2003, 02:39 PM   #17
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Wow, some of these prices you guys are talking about are crazy!
Here's how much I spent:

-$200 USD (or less) for ellipsoids
-$60 CAD for D2S H1 6000k Bulbs
-$100 CAD for 2x Phillips HID ballasts
------------
Total = $270 CAD + $160 CAD
= $430 CAD

Soldomatic: D2S and H1 are completely different attributes when talking about HID bulbs.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 11-07-2003 at 02:42 PM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #18
Soldo
6th Gear Member

OKay, thanks contra, and again man, i always keep asking you and you always tell me the same thing, i kknow it must get annoying by now, but for the HID's i'm gonna be coming to you sooner than i think, i just put in my oreder for the ZKW's and do you have a specific source you go to for HID's or what not?!
PM me with the SAME details, AGAIN, if you wouldn't mind, THANKS!
Old 11-07-2003, 04:51 PM   #19
///Greco540
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMWF1
I was looking into doing the same thing, i got my angel eyes and euro lights (NOT ImPRO!!) and i've checked into the HID conversion 4300 though, but the one thing i don't get is someone told me i need to buy the whole kit with the glass lenses projector, i told them i got it with my headlights he said i need to buy a different one, I didn't even know they made two, i think its bs, also the lights will not calibrate (meaning going up and down) like on the E46 or newer bmw's which is so cool
He wasn't kidding you. Halogen projectors are not the same as Xenon projectors. Xenon projectors have the solenoid that provides the sharp cutoff you see on "REAL" HiD systems. Alot of people tell you no man, just aim them real low and you won't blind people. Problem is when you aim them too low you are not providing maximum lighting on the road that the Xenon bulb gives. So ask yourself, do you want the "look" or do you want the benefit of a true HID lights.

If you want the look, then save your money and use the "xenon" look halogen bulbs that stores like www.xenondepot.com provide. They claim to provide you with the color temp you want but in a halogen type environment. Mind you these bulbs won't last as long as true gas filled xenon bulbs.

There is a reason why the NHSTA has banned the HiD retrofit kits because of improper installation.
Mods: M5 Grill, CDV, AE Xenons, Rogue Engineering Octane Short Shifter w/ WSR, Rogue Engineering Performance Transmission Mounts, Royal Purple Synchromax Transmission Fluid, Gruppe M Filter Ram Charger

My Car Site
///Greco540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 05:33 PM   #20
Soldo
6th Gear Member

So HID's with the ZKW's(or any OEM ellipsoid) is the best match up right?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:41 PM   #21
BMWF1

you are forgetting angel eyes, plus its better to get Gen V or around there, so for a decent set, not a chinese knock off you will up ur price to around 7/8US
Old 11-08-2003, 04:26 AM   #22
98323IS
6th Gear Member

I am so confused still........lol. I don't really even know what I am looking for! I know I need the new headlight housing, and I need two ballasts, and two bulbs........what else is there?
98323IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:47 AM   #23
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Quote:
Originally posted by ///Greco540

If you want the look, then save your money and use the "xenon" look halogen bulbs that stores like www.xenondepot.com provide. They claim to provide you with the color temp you want but in a halogen type environment. Mind you these bulbs won't last as long as true gas filled xenon bulbs.

There is a reason why the NHSTA has banned the HiD retrofit kits because of improper installation.
WTF are you talking about??? Xenondepot sells REAL xenon gas filled bulbs!!! I've seen their products first hand myself! Does this look like a halogen to you??
If you think so, you need your eyes checked; also, that's right off their website...rebased d2s and d2r xenon hid bulbs.
(I really hope you were actually referring to www.jimmy540i.com 's crappy bulbs because xenondepot is the real deal)

Also, about the cutoff, you're right, there is a mechanism that AIMS the cutoff, but it doesn't create it! There is actually a metal plate inside the lense that does that....and the e36 ellipsoids have the same thing....AND have a sharp cutoff!
The only difference with the E36 ones, is that they don't aim downwards when driving uphill, and vice versa downhill. Last I checked, this wasn't illegal, but car manufacturers have to make future projected HID headlamps auto-aim as of a couple of years ago.

(sorry man, but I'll get offended if somebody says my $500 HID kit is a fake halogen one!)

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 11-08-2003 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:55 AM   #24
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Quote:
Originally posted by 98323IS
I am so confused still........lol. I don't really even know what I am looking for! I know I need the new headlight housing, and I need two ballasts, and two bulbs........what else is there?
that's it! once you have those items you're all set!
Forget about the ''euro'' connector, because you wont need it with the hid's installed.

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 11-08-2003, 04:56 AM   #25
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

randys GT2 is sponsored by xenondepot..i dont think he wants blue bulbs that shine white

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:59 AM   #26
98323IS
6th Gear Member

Alrighty..........ONE last question (actually a few hahaha).

1) What headlight should I get? OEM? What?
2) What ballast or whatever should I get??
3) I want 6000K, what bulb or whatever should I get?
and lastly......
4) Honestly, I don't care if it's e-bay, used or whatever, how much am I gonna spend???
Old 11-08-2003, 05:00 AM   #27
mkgino
6th Gear Member

my kit is a xenon depot kit too. Far from just bulbs
Old 11-08-2003, 05:02 AM   #28
98323IS
6th Gear Member

MK you not gonna touch on this subject?? What do you think I should get (considering I want it to be pretty cheap, like DJ Contra's, but not poor quality!)
Old 11-08-2003, 05:16 AM   #29
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 98323IS
MK you not gonna touch on this subject?? What do you think I should get (considering I want it to be pretty cheap, like DJ Contra's, but not poor quality!)
I will pm you
Old 11-08-2003, 04:49 PM   #30
///Greco540
4th Gear Member

See that's what happens when you are drugged up on Nyquil and flu pills. I meant crappy Jimmy bulbs, and that he should check out xenondepot for his kit.

Thanks for correcting me.

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
WTF are you talking about??? Xenondepot sells REAL xenon gas filled bulbs!!! I've seen their products first hand myself! Does this look like a halogen to you??
If you think so, you need your eyes checked; also, that's right off their website...rebased d2s and d2r xenon hid bulbs.
(I really hope you were actually referring to www.jimmy540i.com 's crappy bulbs because xenondepot is the real deal)

Also, about the cutoff, you're right, there is a mechanism that AIMS the cutoff, but it doesn't create it! There is actually a metal plate inside the lense that does that....and the e36 ellipsoids have the same thing....AND have a sharp cutoff!
The only difference with the E36 ones, is that they don't aim downwards when driving uphill, and vice versa downhill. Last I checked, this wasn't illegal, but car manufacturers have to make future projected HID headlamps auto-aim as of a couple of years ago.

(sorry man, but I'll get offended if somebody says my $500 HID kit is a fake halogen one!)
Mods: M5 Grill, CDV, AE Xenons, Rogue Engineering Octane Short Shifter w/ WSR, Rogue Engineering Performance Transmission Mounts, Royal Purple Synchromax Transmission Fluid, Gruppe M Filter Ram Charger

My Car Site
///Greco540 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: