Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-05-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
daytona
6th Gear Member

Mono wiper designs

What is the advantage or disadvantage of installing a single wiper set up from the stock two wiper.Is the cleaning aspect of the mono as good as the dual set up?.Looks wise I like the euro look of the single but do not want to lose any sweeping spread of a dual..any comments?..thanks
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Re: Mono wiper designs

Quote:
Originally posted by daytona
What is the advantage or disadvantage of installing a single wiper set up from the stock two wiper.Is the cleaning aspect of the mono as good as the dual set up?.Looks wise I like the euro look of the single but do not want to lose any sweeping spread of a dual..any comments?..thanks
I hear switching to a mono wiperblade gives you 5hp extra. j/k

Mono blade might clean slower depending on your setup. Visibility will be worse cuz there is only 1 blade cleaning instead of 2. Of all times why do you want to switch it to a mono for winter (If thatz what your doing)? If your going to do it, do it in the summer.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:44 PM   #3
DriveItSideways
Banned

i have a single wiper right now but mitch is right, do it in the summer, im changing mine back to dual this week
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:01 PM   #4
daytona
6th Gear Member

Its for a summer only car

I was looking to change the dual to a single for a summer car only,not for a all season car,,,,....so during a heavy rain storm a mono might not be able to cover the range as dual?..
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:13 PM   #5
DriveItSideways
Banned

Re: Its for a summer only car

Quote:
I was looking to change the dual to a single for a summer car only,not for a all season car,,,,....so during a heavy rain storm a mono might not be able to cover the range as dual?..

i had my mono wiper set up when i drove down to daytona beach and i ran into some serious rain storms and didnt have any problems, just make sure you position the mono wiper in a position where it will clear the most space on the windsheild as possible, your gonna probably need a longer wiper blade.
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:34 PM   #6
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Re: Its for a summer only car

Quote:
Neeeop. Think about it. your taking away 1 so you only have 1 left to work with. It will never cover the same surface area. If you have your blade placed in the middle of the windshield then it will clean faster but then your right side of your windshield will be left dirty and could cause problems with visibility. The further right you put it the slower it will clean in front of you but your visibility will be better than having it in the middle. Look at Blackedout_E36's sig. His probably cleans fast cuz itz in the middle.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2003, 06:48 PM   #7
AndreNY
6th Gear Member

well lets put it this way, if you do the GETHO way of a mono wiper which is using a stock wiper arm, its gonna suck. But if you get a MONO wiper kit, like i did from BONRATH you are gonna have no problems at all. There was a huge down-pour the outher day in NYC, and i had no problems at all while drving. In fact it cleans much faster, and puts less stress on the motor cause insted of 2 wiper arms, it only has to move one.

DEF do it, and the positionsing is up to you, i have mine in the middle
Old 11-06-2003, 03:21 AM   #8
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

i would kill for a MONO whiper~

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:08 AM   #9
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Ya if converted propery, it ends up like the benz, the one wiper covers pretty much MORE than dual wipers!
Old 11-06-2003, 05:24 AM   #10
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
Ya if converted propery, it ends up like the benz, the one wiper covers pretty much MORE than dual wipers!
Wrong. Technically it still won't cover the same area as two wiper blades. It'll be close though if done right.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2003, 05:30 AM   #11
Soldo
6th Gear Member

NO, if you've seen the benz's (which i'm SURE you have, lol) the benz blad, moves across the windsheild, and then SHIFTS, and pretty much covers the entire windshield (now i'm using this info based on the benz that i've seen it on a '00 E class!
Old 11-06-2003, 05:51 AM   #12
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
NO, if you've seen the benz's (which i'm SURE you have, lol) the benz blad, moves across the windsheild, and then SHIFTS, and pretty much covers the entire windshield (now i'm using this info based on the benz that i've seen it on a '00 E class!
I completely understand what your tryin' to say, but the single wiper can not clean the same surface area as a dual wiper like mine. Even if itz the Mercedes single wiper blade. It will be VERY close to the same surface area, but never the same as having two.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2003, 05:52 AM   #13
sloveniaboy
6th Gear Member

I also think it covers more as I took a peek at how my bros C36 wipers work, and damn that wiper goes from left to right but almost at the middle of each swipe it shifts up and the retracts down past the halfway point of the swipe...
Old 11-06-2003, 05:53 AM   #14
sloveniaboy
6th Gear Member

i guess the dual wiper blades cover almost the same except for the little triangle left in the middle and a bit on the top outer edges
Old 11-06-2003, 06:02 AM   #15
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by sloveniaboy
i guess the dual wiper blades cover almost the same except for the little triangle left in the middle and a bit on the top outer edges
It all comes down to the outer edges. Single can't cover the top left corner like a dual.

Alright enough bout comparing single and dual coverage. I can't believe I just spent time arguing which one covers more area!

Quote:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: