Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-16-2002, 10:37 AM   #1
hatnlvr
1st Gear Newbie

E30 M50 Conversion

I just wanted to check with all the experts out there to see if anyone knows of a successful M50 Conversion in an E30 325ix. I have a spare motor laying around and wanted to drop it into my IX but I'm not sure how possible that is.

Any help would be much appreciated.
hatnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:46 AM   #2
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I'm sorry to report that it is virtually impossible to do that.

Reason?

Your front drive shaft goes through the oil pan and with the M50 conversion a E34 525i oil pan is needed to clear the crossmember. Unless you custom make an oil pan (yeah right! $$$$)... You're S.O.L. The next reason is the complexity of you exhaust downpipe.... it makes a really weird bend around the transfer case and would be an absolute nightmare to custom fit the M50 headers to that bend.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:55 AM   #3
hatnlvr
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the info..

Maybe you can help me make another decision? The car is currently supercharged and I was considering port & polishing the head and doing a valve job. I wanted to know what your thoughts were on doing a stroker to the engine (with the forced induction and all). Is it worth it to do the stroker or just do the head with a lower compression head gasket and up the boost? ( Currently 5psi- bump up to 8psi).

Thanks again for all the help
Old 04-16-2002, 01:09 PM   #4
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

The increase in power you'll see with headwork is marginal compared to increased boost. Since you have the supercharger already installed (I'm impressed: Never seen one on a "ix") you're almost on your way to serious power. Lower the compression (make sure you O-Ring the block.... I've seen plenty of M20 motors go through numerous head gaskets with boost) pistons would be perfect, but expensive. A thicker head gasket is okay, but mind the timing belt! With higher boost, you'll automatically get more torque down low so stroking it would be pointless unless it's a turbo application. If all the measurements are correct and your underdrive pulley is the right ratio to your blower pulley, you should get boost right from 1500rpm onwards. Since the head is off, it doesn't hurt to give it a quick port and/or polish.... good for a couple of HP. I'm just worried about your clutch and center diff. If you can put your car on a good interior weight diet, that will also help. Send pics!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 01:42 PM   #5
hatnlvr
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks again for all the input (That's why I turned to you guys to begin with). I'll send some pics this weekend (Need time to clean her up 1st).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: