Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-17-2003, 02:19 AM   #1
JOE325E
2nd Gear Member

Angry Car Won"t Start(long)

Ok here it is. I replaced the water pump on my 1988 325e. everything is hooked up the correct way, car won't start. it cranks but won't turn over. I pulled a plug and had someone start the car with the plug out to see if there is a spark. no spark during cranking but when you turn the key from off to on it sparks... BUT if you go from on to start no spark???? Do I have a faulty motronic box? I checked everything.... I replaced the distr. cap and rotor button.... new plugs and wires, I even checked the coil for proper ohm load and voltage, everything was in spec with the bently book. I have quadruple checked all plugs and connectors, fuses everything. oh and mabey this helps it fired once and ran for 10 seconds then died. It ran fine before I replaced the water pump which the packing had gone out on. what am I missing?? has anyone had problems of this sort? All electronics work car cranks but won't turn.
JOE325E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:16 AM   #2
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

I had somewhat the same problem a few years ago...put the car in the garage, did some work and then cranks but wont stat. If i rember well, i was not geting any fuel (or maybe spark?), anyways the car would run with the relay bridged, and after checking all the electrical (including the fusable link by the battery) it turns out to be the connection on the fire wall, on the passenger side where the positive witre runs from the rear of the car to the front, then splits to go to the starter and fuse box. Make sure that is clean and tight. Othere then that check the crank sensors, on the side of the trany, if one of them in gone the engine will rotate but not start...
Hope this helps!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
JOE325E
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the help. But that wasn't it. I cleaned all terminals and used dielectric grease. I even changed the coil, the pulse sensors and the crank sensor . still nothing. Now that I think about it we had a hard rain last week and some water seeped thru my new windshield behind the dash??? Even still it ran fine after that although a little rough. It is a sweet little car that I've only driven 700 miles (gift from the inlaws) But if I cant get it going I will be forced to sell ( deed restrictions in my subdivision). Anyone else have similar probs
JOE325E is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: