Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-11-2003, 07:27 AM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Question Drag racing advice.

I'd normally be the last person to ask for this, but I finally broke down and decided to hit up the track in Sparta on the way to London for the weekend for a test and tune. I've always been curious to see what my car and I can do. Extremely high 14's are my goal after a few runs (like 14.99 and I'll be happy).

For those of you who drag, what do you launch at (roughly)? What prep do you do to your car before hand? And no, I'm not removing anything to save weight. I mean like tire pressures and etc...

Also, for those of you who are familiar with the St. Thomas drag strip, what are the lineups and hours like on weekends? (saturday is when I'm going) Anything I should watch for?

Thanks in advance.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 08:24 AM   #2
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Normally you want to decrease the rear tires pressures to about 28-29psi; and increase your front tires pressure to about 40psi to decrease the rolling resistance and friction. You might want to play around with these settings to find an optimal setup, but the concept is decrease rears and increase fronts using the manufactuer suggested tire pressures as the baseline.

Here's a very helpful guide for drag racing Thinair...

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=47538

Last edited by 330DTM; 10-11-2003 at 08:27 AM.
330DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, I went to the track, here are my stats on my best run:

Reaction - 1.074
60ft - 2.150
330ft - 6.160
1/8 ET - 9.513
1/8 MPH - 73.89
1/4 ET - 14.759
1/4 MPH - 92.60

I'm pretty happy, but I spin way too much, even in my best run I had wheelspin through most of first gear. I had most luck launching around 3000rpm.

It was pretty fun, but it was kind of intimidating, mostly because it was my first time and I went alone, but oh well.

On a side note, auto-x is funner. This is fun too, but in a different way.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 10-12-2003, 01:33 AM   #4
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

nelson when did u go ??
u should of told me i would of gone ..........
SpoolinS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 04:45 AM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by M_powered
nelson when did u go ??
u should of told me i would of gone ..........
I'm in London for the weekend, so I don't know if you could've.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:16 AM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Also, the only mods that I had on my car that would contribute to it's speed are the LSD diff, the exhaust, the wheels, the ASC, and the fan delete. I had the stock airbox back in too.

I also had lowered my rear tire pressure to 30psi and raised to front tires to 45psi, but that was after I had already set my best time.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:40 PM   #7
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
when we went to cauyga like a year ago.
the guy next to me in a mustang GT said he brings his tire pressure way down to like 10-15PSI
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:52 PM   #8
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Those are pretty impressive times Thinair.

Once you get your 60ft time down to 1.8-1.9 seconds you'll probably have a nice low to mid 14s.

Did you do clutch dumps at all or you modulated/slipped it?

Nice time being it as your first time.

How were your times after you played with the tire pressure?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:26 AM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Those are pretty impressive times Thinair.

Once you get your 60ft time down to 1.8-1.9 seconds you'll probably have a nice low to mid 14s.

Did you do clutch dumps at all or you modulated/slipped it?

Nice time being it as your first time.

How were your times after you played with the tire pressure?
Sorta modulated the clutch, but not well appearently, I'd still get wheel slip, or the revs would bog down. Maybe I'll figure it out one day.

My times were worse after playing with the air pressure, but that could be a lot of things, like me just sucking, my car sucking in all the under hood hot air (I removed the little tube that goes from the grill to the airbox), my LSD heating up and letting one wheel slip more then the other, or the lowering temperature of the air (I went in the evening). Btw, don't go racing at night when it's warm, the moquitoes were out in full force. You could honestly see more bugs then paint on my front bumper. I had to stop after like 5 runs to windex my windshield.

I also only used the burnout box once, and it did nothing for me. I don't think lots of heat and street tires go together.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:43 PM   #10
Peter1998
3rd Gear Member

with out cams and m50manifold and headers.
i mean with 183 rwhp.. i did 14.88 for 1/4mile..
Peter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:33 PM   #11
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

peter how much did headers cost you?
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: