Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-02-2003, 09:30 PM   #1
miafori
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to miafori
supercharger + AFM

I want to be sure about (belt driven) supercharger position on M20 325i. Should the airflow meter be after or before the s/charger? Are there any differences for functionality?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Makes little difference. For practicality, it's usually installed after the SC. What does make a difference is the placement of the air cooler (intercooler - before the blower, aftercooler - after the blower).
Old 10-03-2003, 02:15 PM   #3
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

If your 325 uses MAF then there is actually quite a bit of difference. MAFs don't like the air to be pushed through them since they don't like hot air and extra pressure. Hence, almost all of the setups with MAFs are pull-through design, where you have MAF->charger->intercooler->T/B

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by JazzM
Makes little difference. For practicality, it's usually installed after the SC. What does make a difference is the placement of the air cooler (intercooler - before the blower, aftercooler - after the blower).

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 08:05 PM   #4
miafori
2nd Gear Member

thanks kirasir, I want to install my s/charger onto my stock engine in order to observe the boost amount. Then I will rebuild my engine according to boost result. Can I install the s/charger before the MAF for only a few days to measure the maximum boost? Installing s/c after the MAF requires longer time and I should build custom made pipes, hoses etc. I want to gain time. Will the boost damage my MAF in a few days? I know it is expensive and don't want to run a risk.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:10 PM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

just a question of curiosity..why did u say belt driven s/c? arent all s/c belt driven? i thought its only turbo that runs off exhaust?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:19 PM   #6
JazzM
6th Gear Member

They have electric ones too... not as efficient though...
Old 10-06-2003, 11:39 AM   #7
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
MAF goes before the charger, usually right after the cone filter.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:04 PM   #8
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

You could try it but I would never attemp to run full boost with it, since there is a very high chance that the MAF will be reporting incorrect data back to the ECU. And this could result in severe knock, ping, etc. Spend more time and do it right.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by miafori
thanks kirasir, I want to install my s/charger onto my stock engine in order to observe the boost amount. Then I will rebuild my engine according to boost result. Can I install the s/charger before the MAF for only a few days to measure the maximum boost? Installing s/c after the MAF requires longer time and I should build custom made pipes, hoses etc. I want to gain time. Will the boost damage my MAF in a few days? I know it is expensive and don't want to run a risk.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 07:35 PM   #9
miafori
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
just a question of curiosity..why did u say belt driven s/c? arent all s/c belt driven? i thought its only turbo that runs off exhaust?
E46lover: you are right, it is unnecessary. But some people use supercharger term for both exhaust driven and belt driven compressors.

Is there any other method to measure the boost? It is custom made project so I should know the boost range before rebuilding the engine.

Installing MAF before the s/charger needs more free space or I should mount MAF at the (passenger) exhaust side, so heat isolation is essential, so more working.

Uhh! thinking theory is very easy but practice is not....
Old 10-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #10
diegom6
2nd Gear Member

What SC unit are you planing to use..

I have my AFM (Ours system) after the turbo...seems work good...I didn't tried to put the AFm before the turbo, since I don't have much space... I will upgrade with a MAF 325i E36 conversion and then I will see where to put it...
Old 10-10-2003, 06:01 PM   #11
miafori
2nd Gear Member

I have an Eaton kompressor from Mercedes, I don't know how much boost it can supply. Also I will make 2.7 stroke. As you said, installing AFM before the S/C is very hard. I want to make the correct one.
How much boost do you run and what is the compression ratio?

I wonder that how much boost can this part handle? Is it essential to rebuild it with metal material?

Is it same AFM and MAF exactly? Is the plug of E36 MAF compatible with M20 MAF? The plug is not actually but I mean the signals and running range etc. The plug may be adapted in anyway.

Last edited by miafori; 10-10-2003 at 06:12 PM.
miafori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:28 PM   #12
diegom6
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
I have an Eaton kompressor from Mercedes, I don't know how much boost it can supply. Also I will make 2.7 stroke. As you said, installing AFM before the S/C is very hard. I want to make the correct one.
How much boost do you run and what is the compression ratio?

I wonder that how much boost can this part handle? Is it essential to rebuild it with metal material?

Is it same AFM and MAF exactly? Is the plug of E36 MAF compatible with M20 MAF? The plug is not actually but I mean the signals and running range etc. The plug may be adapted in anyway.
Let's see, fist of of I want pics of your setup plz!!

Well, about the boot of rubber many guys with forced induction has replaced with a steel or aluminum tube for better safety....I have the stock one yet...and I'm runing 5 PSI , little time was runing like 10 PSI and seems to work good, but that was for short period...

I'm runing 8.8:1 ratio of compresion, I will put a bigger head gasket to take it down to 8.2:1 or so....

Not sure how much can make that Eaton blower...works good for the 2.3 engine Benz...I think it will make enough power for ours 2.5/7 liters....

About the AFM and MAF, they are different...you can't plug and play the MAF in your e30...I tried to do that but doesn't work good... the problem is that they run different signal volts. I'm in the preocces to make it work with a potentiometer , and then let's ee if it works...

any other question?
Old 10-10-2003, 06:45 PM   #13
miafori
2nd Gear Member

Nearly I have unlimited questions I want to know the thread size of M20 oil pressure sender and the diameter of crank pulley. Also I have a knock sensor from Subaru, I know I can not introduce it to my ECU but I want to use it with a light or led simply, it is possible?
What are the differences between AFM and MAF? How much HP do you have with 5psi?
Old 10-10-2003, 07:02 PM   #14
diegom6
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Nearly I have unlimited questions I want to know the thread size of M20 oil pressure sender and the diameter of crank pulley. Also I have a knock sensor from Subaru, I know I can not introduce it to my ECU but I want to use it with a light or led simply, it is possible?
What are the differences between AFM and MAF? How much HP do you have with 5psi?
Don't know how much power I'm making with 5 PSI. Also, cuz I have stock injectors and press as well, I think I'm in 170 RWHP or 180 at least....

AFM= Air Flow Meter..device that messures the air incoming by a kind of door holded by a spring and is some restrictive...

MAF= Device in for of tube, freely air passing... Mass Air Flow...it has inside a piece that messure the heat of the air and make some calcs to determinate the amount of air is coming in... not restrictive....

Forget that ping sensor... I will use the SMT6 unit, that allow me to tune at my style all the parameters of the engine...also retard the advance...
Old 10-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #15
miafori
2nd Gear Member

I had just learnt the differences of AFM and MAF, thanks.
I have no experience about custommade softwares etc. I need of course, any detailed information about them? What about megasquirt unit? Are they feasible, some units are very expensive and some are cheaper relatively.

I have a MAF from E36, I think there is any voltage input and any signal output in both AFM and MAF. It can be calibrate in anyway. I saw a M20 with E36 MAF but don't know the facts. It seems more efficent in terms of air flow. If I manage to install MAF, there is no need to install a 3.5 AFM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: