Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-27-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
UncleJ
Average Homeboy

BMW 328i vs. Acura RSX-S

Alright, I raced an RSX-S yesterday, and posted the kill on the RSX board.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...hreadid=108870

Now they think that a stock RSX can handle just as well as my 328i. Only thing I have on my car performence wise are my Kumho 712 tires.

By the way, my car has the sports package (suspension, etc, etc.).

Oh, and someone also posted a story not too long ago about how in his stock RSX-S, beat a Ferrari Testerossa in the twisties.

Maxbimmer gangbang.. cmon peoples!!! throw some high fives, slap dinks together and take turns!!
UncleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 05:41 AM   #2
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Stock RSX-S is faster than a 328is, no doubt about it. In the twisties though, I dont know, never seen either in action
Old 09-28-2003, 05:52 AM   #3
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

mk gino i think im prety sure van was the first oen with the first n original reiger lip.
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 05:56 AM   #4
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ///MsAniTy
mk gino i think im prety sure van was the first oen with the first n original reiger lip.
Ok thank you, for being the 4th person to tell me that
Old 09-28-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
Shmekr
2nd Gear Member

It is fater then a 328 because it has the same hp,plus it is way lighter! When you crush it then nobody ends up alive!
It if gets hard then we got a Z8 as a last weapon!
Even 2004-5 M5 M6
Old 09-28-2003, 07:02 PM   #6
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Please....

Take a look at some facts.

From CanadianDriver website.
The best performers in the frontal crash tests were the Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Honda Odyssey, Acura RSX, Honda Civic hatchback, Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Matrix, Toyota Corolla, and Saab 9-5.

Car: Acura RSX 2-DR. w/SAB
Size Class:Compact
Year:2002
Curb Weight (lbs):2708
Frontal Driver: 5
Frontal Passenger:5
Side:4

Car:BMW 3 Series 4-DR. w/SAB
Size Class:Medium
Year:2002
Curb Weight (lbs):3196
Frontal Driver:4
Frontal Passenger:5
Side:Not Tested

For the price, I'd feel safe in a RSX.

Z8 eh. Now that's a fair comparison. Notice the size classification on the RSX and BMW. They are different cars, both with good merits. Iíve driven both, and both are fun to drive. You have to give it that!

Their is a huge price difference; where one tops out in price (RSX-S), the other starts (base stripper 320i with steelies ). In fact, the base 320i is still a few thousand more than a RSX-S.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:15 PM   #7
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Two completely different kind of cars......One obviously rear wheel drive, one is front wheel drive, 4cyl vs 6cyl, etc. The thing about V-TEC is it only kicks in after 4500rpm where as in your car double vanos is advanced timing throughout the rev range.......
Those RSX Type-S are very quick, but to be honest a BMW has much more class and status......
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:34 PM   #8
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

RSX does not have Vtec, but has i-vtec. I have a 2003 Accord with a i-vtec engine as well and the power kicks in much lower. It's a variablie valve timing, similar to BMW Double Vanos.

Even BMW has a final kick at around 5000 RPM.

I'd really hope that BMW does have more status when it costs considerably more.

It definitely stands out at a traffic light. But honestly, I bought the car for the handling and road feel. I still love my old 97 318is with the M Sports Package. That car handled much better than my current one.

In about a year and a half, when it comes time to replace my BMW, I will be test-driving a lot of cars. There are so many good cars out these days. It could be the new Lexus is430, G35 Coupe, Acura TL 6spd Manual, or even another BMW. I'll pick the car that offers the most enjoyment for the money, regardless of the hood emblem. Obviously, reliability is a big concern as well.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:25 PM   #9
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Quote:
Originally posted by dtthiaga

I'd really hope that BMW does have more status when it costs considerably more.

Thats what I am saying the cars are in two different categories and aren't equal for comparison.
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:09 PM   #10
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Guys, he didnt ask what car company is more prestigeous, or what car gives you a classier look, or what pimps more hoes. He asked what handles better. Can someone enlighten us who has driven both?
Old 09-29-2003, 04:14 PM   #11
Bavarias_Finest
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Bavarias_Finest Send a message via Yahoo to Bavarias_Finest
Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino
Guys, he didnt ask what car company is more prestigeous, or what car gives you a classier look, or what pimps more hoes. He asked what handles better. Can someone enlighten us who has driven both?
I havent driven both, but in I raced a RSX-S he held with me off the line, but in the twisties he lost control on numerous occasions and almost flipped his car on a 30 degree differential where I had no problems controlling my car. I had to pass him after a while because he was taking the turn so slow and cautiously, because his car tranny simply couldnt handle the turns. So obviously being stated a 328is which compares to my car, minus ESP and ETS should be able to out handle a RSX-S. As long as they know how to handle the twisities themselves there should be no problem. Just my two cents.....

SL55 AMG 03' ---- I NEED IT

I dont do drugs, dont drink, I speed, that is my addiction.
Bavarias_Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:03 PM   #12
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
I have driven both and the RSX-S will smoke a 328 in both acceleration and cornering. Forget for a moment that one is a BMW and the other is an acura and think only of the numbers - the power to weight ratio is far better on the acura - the lower weight will also help it corner better plus the suspension design is great. My friend's RSX-S can even smoke my maxima on the top end and I can run a 14.2 1/4 to his 14.6.

The fine print is that the RSX-S is a much harder car to drive and leaves room for lots of driver error - I believe you beat one easily because if the RSX driver makes one mistake you're gone.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:36 PM   #13
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theblue
I have driven both and the RSX-S will smoke a 328 in both acceleration and cornering. Forget for a moment that one is a BMW and the other is an acura and think only of the numbers - the power to weight ratio is far better on the acura - the lower weight will also help it corner better plus the suspension design is great. My friend's RSX-S can even smoke my maxima on the top end and I can run a 14.2 1/4 to his 14.6.

The fine print is that the RSX-S is a much harder car to drive and leaves room for lots of driver error - I believe you beat one easily because if the RSX driver makes one mistake you're gone.
I was under the impression FWD was worse for handling than RWD, or maybe I am wrong??

Can we get an expert in here. Anyone have any skidpad or slalom(sp?) numbers?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:50 PM   #14
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
Quote:
I was under the impression FWD was worse for handling than RWD, or maybe I am wrong??

Can we get an expert in here. Anyone have any skidpad or slalom(sp?) numbers?
RWD is better than FWD in general terms but its advantage is lost in this case due to size and weight.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:03 PM   #15
Gamite

Quote:
Ok thank you, for being the 4th person to tell me that
Hahahaha..

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: