Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #1
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Angry What a joke....

I can't imagine the CSL name is gonna be like a toy now... Since in the near future the CSL badge will grace the M cars, it will probably aimed at rich auto-lovers who grace Mercedes CL600s...

Oh and another thing, what's wrong with EVO drivers? Didn't Motor Trend get 4.6 0-60 in the M3? And the CSL was on par with the new GT3 on the Nurburgring?

Damn...

Bangle + CSL models w/Carbon fiber and same mechanics = death to BMW

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:33 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Awe....

That was one of my favourite looking cars, now without the performace to back it up what's the point...

I don't understand how a lighter car with more power and better tires could get such similar times to a stock M3.

The writer does have a point about the brakes... Get some Brembo or AP's on there. Even the stock M3 should have that option like the 350z/G35 coupe, even the cheaper STi has Brembos from factory.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:48 PM   #3
SickFinga

ok this doesn't make any sense, it is is BS, i didn't even read the article.
first, M3 is 333hp or 343ps, second CSL is 360hp.
third look at the time, 13.7sec. WTF is that???
last time i checked e46 m3 runs low 13th.
and last, csl was made for race track, not drag strip.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
i'm quite sad to read that...
i was expecting way more from a car with so much potential...
they should have thrown the engine from the ///M5 in there.....then there wouldn't be a power issue....
my $0.02..
Old 09-22-2003, 09:57 PM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
they should have thrown the engine from the ///M5 in there.....then there wouldn't be a power issue....
my $0.02..
But then there would be 50/50 weight distribution and handling issues.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:09 PM   #6
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

These magazines don't hire professional drivers to test these cars. So consistancy is not there.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:23 PM   #7
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
But then there would be 50/50 weight distribution and handling issues.
did BMW ever release that M3 GTR.... a lot like the csl with the carbon fiber everwhere but i had a wide body kit and some other things along with a V8 in it..... just wondering what its front/rear weight ratio is....
Old 09-23-2003, 12:11 AM   #8
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Ya this is OBVIOUS BULL!
They could've just gave me 20 bucks to do the same job, and i would came up with some BOGUS numbers as well!I feel bad for BMW now, cause of these boners they just gave the CSL a BAD name, and now BMW is gonna have to back their shit up and put the proper times to the CSL badge!
Clearly its just NOT, and only a MORON would believe such a thing, how would the SAME car, more or less, with around 16hp MORE, and almost 200 LESS kg, be slower, than the weaker car, and ONLY get a .2 sec. better 0-100mph time but loose everything else!
JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!
Do your own formula and plug in the values and you'll SEE thats obvious bullshit!
I mean even with a higher gear ration built for top end, it still wouldn't make sense to ONLY beat it in 0-100!!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:33 AM   #9
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
Ya this is OBVIOUS BULL!
They could've just gave me 20 bucks to do the same job, and i would came up with some BOGUS numbers as well!I feel bad for BMW now, cause of these boners they just gave the CSL a BAD name, and now BMW is gonna have to back their shit up and put the proper times to the CSL badge!
Clearly its just NOT, and only a MORON would believe such a thing, how would the SAME car, more or less, with around 16hp MORE, and almost 200 LESS kg, be slower, than the weaker car, and ONLY get a .2 sec. better 0-100mph time but loose everything else!
JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!
Do your own formula and plug in the values and you'll SEE thats obvious bullshit!
I mean even with a higher gear ration built for top end, it still wouldn't make sense to ONLY beat it in 0-100!!
No actually, since the M3 CSL has such a massive intake, there is no airflow at a rest. So just following its launch, it is only sucking in hot engine air, which will actually decrease its performance. That explains the slower 0-60 mph. After that, the car starts to accelerate much faster than the regular M3, so it should then begin to pull considerably.

But straight line speed wasnt why this car was put together. With all things considered equal, lighter cars **usually** have a better times around the track. I think the M3 CSL posted a 30 sec better time than the regular M3 at the Nuremberg

So not everything you read is BS, all you have to do is think about it a little
Old 09-23-2003, 12:35 AM   #10
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Ya think about it, look at the NUMEROUS times a STOCK M3 pulled a LOT lower time at the 1/4 mile than 13.7, point in case!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:41 AM   #11
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Ya think about it, look at the NUMEROUS times a STOCK M3 pulled a LOT lower time at the 1/4 mile than 13.7, point in case!
So what? Independent drivers, different conditions, elevations etc. Believe it or not, the 1/4 mile times for an M3 in colarado with an altitude of 4000 ft above sea level will probably be worse than a 330ci in sanfrancisco.

How can you compare 1/4 mile times directly man?? You should know that.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:46 AM   #12
Soldo
6th Gear Member

KNOW!!
i'm aware that i'm a retard, but i'm not THAT dumb man!
I know that, i'm just saying for an example, and do you REALLY think that BMW would make an IMPROPER CAI?!
Seriously man, you KNOW how much engineering went into that car, for what, a LIL fuk up like that!!
SOMETHINGS FISHY, and it ain't ME!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:51 AM   #13
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
KNOW!!
i'm aware that i'm a retard, but i'm not THAT dumb man!
I know that, i'm just saying for an example, and do you REALLY think that BMW would make an IMPROPER CAI?!
Seriously man, you KNOW how much engineering went into that car, for what, a LIL fuk up like that!!
SOMETHINGS FISHY, and it ain't ME!
No, because this car is supposed to be driven on a track. How many times are you stopped on a track when the negative aspect from the large CAI will have an effect? Probably never, last time I checked there were no red lights on the track.

But the benefit of having the larger CAI while moving (which is what you are doing most of the time on a track) far outweighs the cost. This isnt a 1/4 mile car, and is not designed to be one.

I would like to see track times from the M3 and the CSL compared, and we will see what will eat who. There was a 30 sec difference I think on the nuremberg after the CSL was introduced.

Another thing about the 1/4 mile times, if those are bmw spec 1/4 mile times, everyone knows that BMW ALWAYS underrates their cars. They do with the horsepower output, and probably do with their times also.

Last edited by mkgino; 09-23-2003 at 12:53 AM.
mkgino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:02 AM   #14
mkgino
6th Gear Member

You guys want to see what is pathetic?? This is actually pathetic, BMW CSL dead last.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:02 AM   #15
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: