Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-20-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
S14 motor into E36 318?

How difficult is this swap to do? I was discussing this with a friend of mine and he informed me that swapping an older motor into a newer car is illegal and insurance will not cover it due to emissions. I'm pretty sure the S14 motor will meet the M42 emission standards.

Anyways, what are the motor specs? S14 USA spec is 220HP 2.0L 4cyl. What's the EVO version and how difficult is this to obtain? What else is involved in the swap besides just getting the motor in? I assume since the weight of the motor is still relatively light I can still maintain good balance front and rear.

I like the light weight of the motor. It weighs about the same as the M42 and it's got 2L's. It also breathes much better. Does the USA spec S14 have multi-throttle intake manifolds?

Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 09-20-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:15 PM   #2
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Re: S14 motor into E36 318?

3 words: forget about it.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...ighlight=318ti

You need a very fat bank account to do it.

BTW m42 weighs 102kg while S14 is 106kg if I remember correctly.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
How difficult is this swap to do? I was discussing this with a friend of mine and he informed me that swapping an older motor into a newer car is illegal and insurance will not cover it due to emissions. I'm pretty sure the S14 motor will meet the M42 emission standards.

Anyways, what are the motor specs? S14 USA spec is 220HP 2.0L 4cyl. What's the EVO version and how difficult is this to obtain? What else is involved in the swap besides just getting the motor in? I assume since the weight of the motor is still relatively light I can still maintain good balance front and rear.

I like the light weight of the motor. It weighs about the same as the M42 and it's got 2L's. It also breathes much better. Does the USA spec S14 have multi-throttle intake manifolds?

Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

Bry

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:30 PM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Thanks for the info Serge. I'm surprized I completely missed that thread.

How did I know Rob would disagree? I don't know about everyone else, but I'm somewhat obsessed with an all motor engine. I guess my only option is to get a supercharger. I don't want to get an engine swap for the very same reasons mentioned in that thread, weight! I'm not too crazy about straight line speed. I've been in some very fast cars and I think a great hanlding car is about a thousand times more exciting.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 09-21-2003, 01:15 AM   #4
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Bry, you have two E36's, right? If you want more speed why not strip one out, sell the parts and buy lightweight materials and add a roll cage?

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 06:06 PM   #5
Lil'Smoothie

Quote:
S14 USA spec is 220HP 2.0L 4cyl
Not even close man

192BHP and its a 2.3L 4cyl for the US spec

The eurospec are 2.3L with 220 and the evo sport is a 2.5L stroker with approx 240horse

The conversion is like 6-7 grand plus labour as far as I know

Just go with an s50
Old 09-22-2003, 05:26 PM   #6
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Actually, the conversion would be a whole lot more than $6-7 grand, as the front subframes on the E30 M3 are completely different than the front subframe on the E36.

The E36 front subframe would be interfering with the oilpan reservoir on the S14 motor.

In order to install the engine, you'd need to build a completely new front subframe, along with replacing and re-engineering the steering rack.

OR....you could install a dry-sump system onto the S14 and install it that way. Cheap dry sump setups run about $3-4 grand; a top notch unit is closer to $10 grand.

You'd be far better off going with an M50/B32 conversion, and running the E36 M3 motor instead. Similar weight, and far more torque. It's also a lower stress motor than the S14.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:46 PM   #7
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by GR8 Ride
Actually, the conversion would be a whole lot more than $6-7 grand, as the front subframes on the E30 M3 are completely different than the front subframe on the E36.

The E36 front subframe would be interfering with the oilpan reservoir on the S14 motor.

In order to install the engine, you'd need to build a completely new front subframe, along with replacing and re-engineering the steering rack.

OR....you could install a dry-sump system onto the S14 and install it that way. Cheap dry sump setups run about $3-4 grand; a top notch unit is closer to $10 grand.

You'd be far better off going with an M50/B32 conversion, and running the E36 M3 motor instead. Similar weight, and far more torque. It's also a lower stress motor than the S14.

Pat
I was going to buy the S14 motor and manifold soon too because I found a great deal. However, after reading about all these problems with the swap, I think I'll pass.

Thanks for the advice

Bry

Old 09-22-2003, 11:54 PM   #8
E36_M_Power
4th Gear Member

I was thinkin about to swap too, but too much problems after swap and too much money.
I saw a lot of E30 in Thailand are running SR20DET, very decent.
Save the money for DASC
E36_M_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:12 AM   #9
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by E36_M_Power
I was thinkin about to swap too, but too much problems after swap and too much money.
I saw a lot of E30 in Thailand are running SR20DET, very decent.
Save the money for DASC
Yeah DASC is my second choice. I'm not too crazy about swapping a 6 cyl into my car. I'm unsure about the reliability of an engine swap and I would need too many other parts including relocating all the engine mounts.

Anyways, 200HP+ is more than enough for me. I don't know why so many people are so obsessed with rediculously high HP numbers. It's not for me, I like to be in control of the car all the time.

Any pics of your car? Any mods? Always great to see more M42/M44 owners.

Bry

Old 09-23-2003, 02:48 AM   #10
E36_M_Power
4th Gear Member

lol its a shame to post my car...I havn't done any modifications on it yet...got some financial problems recently. But I am planing to order a exhaust...and fogged my airbox...H&R race springs..Koni Shocks...X-Brace...tower bar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled2.jpg (81.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 09-23-2003, 02:49 AM   #11
E36_M_Power
4th Gear Member

2nd pic
I know its not nice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (93.0 KB, 117 views)
Old 09-23-2003, 02:56 AM   #12
E36_M_Power
4th Gear Member

BTW: its a 1996 318is M44B19
Old 09-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #13
DriveItSideways
Banned

lets get a group buy going for dasc!
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:28 PM   #14
E36_M_Power
4th Gear Member

wuts the price quoted to you? Jim Goodroe told me for 318is M44 is $3,395
Old 09-23-2003, 07:08 PM   #15
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

E36_M_Power,

Nice 318, doesn't matter that it's stock, still looks very sweet! When I first got mine it came with 15" honey comb wheels and gray painted bumpers and rocker panels!

Hope to see more of it in the future.

I was quoted $6000Cdn shipped to my door by Jim as well. Probably since USD is down right now we can save some money. I'm sure there will be other people interested. I know I will be

Bry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: